1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

BOTM 106 First Spoiler (1AD)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, May 5, 2016.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 106 - First Spoiler to 1 AD

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 106, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD! How well are you coping on a crowded map? Have you 'resettled' any neighbours?

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

59 views... but no one has posted anything yet :)

PH seems like a trap... settling it made me miss a fish, but.... cap on a PH is nearly always the best thing to do.

Settled PH, then ** to block the romans
    Oracled CS, which at Prince seemed a must. Managed Stonehenge & GLH as well.

Romans are already dead, the french are in their death throws... not sure what to do next. Keep spamming units and conquest/domination OR consolidate and go for space ???

3. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

I also settled on the plains hill and swore when I saw the fish. I suspect I will be in good company!

7 cites with 32 pop. 215 bpt at 100%, and 175 sustainable. (+330 gold in bank)
    Oracle (CS) ad great lib are in. Acadamy also. Oxford should come on line in 10 turns (250 AD) Printing press is 6 turns away.

Will attack JC in 5 turns with cats and maces, and will continue to push across the continent from there. Probably heading to space, but have not yet figured out how I get there quickly.

4. Solyaris

Solyaris Warlord

Always wanted to try an extremely high reward/high risk play in the form of a warrior rush, and thought this would be the perfect map due to many AI and prince difficulty. Killed the romans early with 4 warriors and gain the capital+an improved fish, 2nd killed the french with 4 warriors (one with city-attack bonus) and gained its capital and a worker. It could easily have gonne bad, a couple of more turns and he probably would have archers (killed him off ~3000BC which is the limit for archers on prince). Improved the captured land and got TGL and great library for commerce.

@ 1 AD, 13 cities (14 in 2 turns), research at 529 BPT (-167GPT with 200 gold) have paper/nationhood/music/C-techs/MC, academy in capital and 1 GS in standby mode (probably light-bulb edu.). Unsure what victory condition I will presue, domination and space seems the most likely.

5. jbadams

jbadams Super Healer Scout

After much deliberation, I opened by settling in place. Two fast warrior armies quickly conquered Rome and Paris, and Paris is currently my empire's focal point (Confucian holy city, Stonehenge, Kong Miao, academy).

At 1 AD, I have 6 cities with 46 population, 247 beakers per turn at 100% (currently running 70% for 179 beakers). Grabbed Civil Service with Oracle, and also picked up Artemis, the Lighthouse, and the Colossus for tech advantage.

Stacking maces now and preparing to invade Portugal.

6. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

You guys make me wish I had done a warrior rush. High risk but high payoff!

7. nocho

nocho Deity

I didn't consider warrior rushing, went for a HA rush instead when I saw the horses up north. Rome, France and Portugal are no more and city and pop wise I'm doing quite well. Currently 16 cities and 76 pop, 11 workers, however, am way behind techwise as compared to others. Currency, calendar and CoL (next turn) are in. Too busy with my HAs to even think of the CS sling. Did get the Oracle and must have fantasized a moment about the AP so got theocracy from it. :smoke: Got GLH and Colossus too, MoM due in 4. Met all AIs. Not sure what VC to pursue yet, domination, conquest or AP all look appealing, space not as much if I compare tech progress to others. ;)

8. Minou

Minou Prince

Haven't tried a Warrior rush in a long time and I didn't have the courage to do it here, but was interested in reading about how it turned out for others.

I settled on the PH and founded three cities before sending out some Horse. Rome was quickly reduced to one city. France fell next though there was a 200 year delay due to a Sword knocking off my first tow Horse Archers without taking a scratch, forcing a pause for reinforcements.Near the end of the BC years, the rest of the world went to war with Portugal so I joined in earlier than planned and captured some cities that were weakened by Celtic forces. After declaring a brief peace I restarted the war at 1AD and should capture the last two cities next turn.

Events were kind to me and I got the one that yields 100 or 200 gold from a mine, and one top of that got the 200 amount. Oracle for CS like most others, along with GLH, one Academy, and almost-done Colossus.

At 1 AD: 13 cities with 52 pop. 31 techs with Education 6 turns away (diverted for Lit/Music) and running at 204 bpt off of pillaged gold, though I'll crash back down to ~120bpt once I burn through the loot. It may be fun to go for Space on a small map, with less time needed to manage all those cities.

9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

man, haven't played an xotm in forever.

I moved the settler S and not being able to see over the hill at the water I was very leery about stranded seafood (any missed food on small map is not good), so I settled 1E. Glad to see a fish there which became me 3rd city. I liked 1E better as cap anyway.

I was tempted by warrior rush but glad I didn't . I kept my scout on a hill for view on Rome, and he went Archery first off in my game. Not only that but he chopped an insta-Archer. I went worker first anyway so just checking if I might send out some afterwards.

Oracle sling CS early with 5 cities and no more room (kinda pissed I just missed out on cow/iron). Went POT before BW so had a nice 250 beakers or so around 600 BC or thereabouts, which was pretty nice.

May actually go for religious victory this game. Oracle Theo would have been better probably, but I teched Theo quickly anyway. Don't plan to war much unless to dogpile for diplo reasons unless everything starts going south otherwise.

wonders - GLH in Horse/fish city. MoM in Rice/Cow. ToA and Colossus in Fish/Marble. TGL in Clammy Copper island. Used GE to rush Sankore there to for kicks, and may get sistine there too fwiw. Hagia in Berlin. So yeah, basically building wonders and mishes. Probably will Lib Astro soon to check for islands...with current plans teching not an issue and I'm gifting techs away left and right

Nice setup for culture game actually. Of course, any war stuff on this map would be hella fun.