1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 121 First Spoiler, to 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

How did your game go?
    Where did you settle?
    What did you do with the great people?
    Did being able to meet other civs help?

2. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Very interesting game so far! I settled in place and as suggested by most, decided to settle the GPr and rush the mids with the GE and hence chose to go mining-masonry first. I had some hopes of building or rushing the GLH, but Sury already built it in 1880BC, even before I had sailing. At least that saved me a half-hearted attempt at it.

With representation and both golds tech went quite swiftly. The first great person was a GE of course from the mids which I happily settled, by 1AD also produced a GS for the academy. After masonry teched the main worker techs and BW and went straight to alpha to trade techs with the other continent.

The most intense part of the game came when Joao DoWed me. I did have some forces at the border as I didn't trust him much, but only after the DoW I realized that I didn't see the red fist as of course Joao only knew us. My main city up north at the cow/rice/horse was never really in danger, but I did lose 2 size-1 cities east and west from the main northern bastion. In a sense luckily they autorazed, so Joao couldn't fortify within them. Then he started sending all the troops to the northern bastion, but with walls and a good mixture of spears, axes and war chariots to pick off stray Portuguese units, I held it with ease while Joao kept throwing units at it. When he was out of steam I managed to capture 2 cities of his, also pretty small, but it gained territory as it moved the general border up north. Now his southern most city was Lisbon itself. Just as a new Portuguese SoD appeared, I signed peace as I didn't want to risk a bold move against Lisbon. Still I had to throw CoL and a small tech to get peace, despite all the units he lost (with 2-2 in cities), but preferred that so as to focus more on expansion and not on unit-spam. Two great generals were born in the process.

I actually founded confu while at war with Joao, adopted it and spread it to Joao after the war to hopefully get him up to pleased so he won't give me any other headaches (supposing pleased is enough, think it is). The other continent are hindus and buddhists, but religion is no problem for trade yet. The last AI is unknown still.

At 1AD I'm at 13 cities including 2 at the islands in the south. Quite some are pretty small still though, total pop 54. Teched up to paper. Think I'll go for libbing cuirs to get rid of Joao and be big enough to face the other AIs who so far seem to balance out and hence will hopefully stay containable. If I can get rid of Joao I'm hopeful about winning this one, which would be nice as I'm no deity regular, even if with these starting conditions this is more like immortal+. Anyway, enjoying it. :cool:

3. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

I went after Jaoa without knowing how much land he had to the north. Bad idea-

4. Minou

Minou Chieftain

Fun game so far. I settled in place, settled the GP, and used the GE for Pyramids in 3160BC. I had not realized the Scout was planted on the other side of the world from the spoiler, but he quickly contacted the 4 AI’s. Soon it was obvious Joao was our only neighbor and one final AI was off on some hidden island. I decided to try to neutralize Joao early with a War Chariot rush, helped by a stretch of Police State (Spiritual + Pyramids is nice). While prepping 9 War Chariots, I managed to sneak in Oracle for CoL in 1960BC, which had the negative effect of generating a GP instead of GE in the capital. I settled him as well and somewhere along the BC years also popped a GS for Academy.

At 1600BC, my War Chariot rush captured the Jewish Holy City and Joao’s capital which had Temple of Artemis with few losses. By the end of the war in 1200BC I captured 4 cities and left Joao with a crappy northern enclave to use as a Worker and EXP pump. It was nice to be able to declare with no diplomatic penalty from the other Civs, and also to be able to accept Hunting for peace without it counting against the trade penalty.

My only real setback was missing out on GLH, which was built pretty early - I think even if I built Oracle outside the capital the GE would have arrived too late to snag it. On the other hand, since four of my seven original cities (built+captured) were not coastal and I can't trade with the other AIs until Astronomy, GLH would not make a huge difference in the BC years anyway,

Joao continued to be useful through the rest of the BC years, providing a free Worker every few turns and enough experience for 2 GG, one of which I settled in the Capital for more Representation beakers and one of which was used for a Medic III unit. At 1AD I believe I had 7-8 cities and was a few turns from Oxford. I’m impressed with the 13 cities nocho managed, especially because I think I would be completely bankrupt if I built/captured that many anyway without GLH.

The current plan is take Astronomy with Liberalism in 4-10 turns (depends if I can get Compass and Optics in trade, so far none or the AIs will give them up) so I can get those intercontinental trade routes and start prepping an invasion fleet. Sury built GLH and only has 2 cities, so he will be my first target once I have Astronomy, though I will probably wait for Cuirs to attack the other continent so it will be quite some time.

5. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I settled N of the corn to get some extra lighthouse lake food and planted the Great Prophet. The Engineer went for the Pyramids. At 1AD I have 8 cities with 48 pop and should have Astro in 4 turns, helped along with a Great Sci bulb. My first GP was another Prophet :( whom I settled like the first. I'm 5th of 6 known in score, but close to 3rd. Joao is #1 with 1133 and 11 cities, Germany 2nd, me with 841. Sury has been vassalled by Wm. I'm behind the other continent in tech but hope to trade up once I'm willing to part with the seafaring techs (circumnav in about 5 turns). Making 224 bpt @100% and ~133 bpt @47% breakeven. My current defense is very thin but I plan to attack Joao at some point before tackling the other continents. After grabbing what land I could before Joao got there I settled the 2 islands for trade routes and my latest city is on the southern peninsula with sheep, clams, fish, and horses. With all that food and hills, this will be my hammer/HE city. :) Wonders have been a bust other than the Mids. Wm got the GLH and Germany has most of the others: Oracle, GLib, HG, Parth, MoM (all in Berlin), plus Colossus. This is a fun setup (especially after cruel cruel BOTM120 ;)) and should be winnable, with a bit of luck and hard work.