1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 122 First Spoiler - 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Jan 7, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 122 - Escape from 2016 - First Spoiler to 1 AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

Did you figure out the puzzle of where to settle? And have you worked out how to escape from the Fantasy Realm yet? Are you grateful for the mapmaker's eternal kindness in giving you such a pleasant map? :) Have you met your AI opponents fellow 2016 victims? In short, how's it all going amongst the ice and tundra?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 122, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry
    Posting Restrictions
    • Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I decided to settle on the rice. Not the greatest capital ever, but quite workable with 2 shinies and 2 decent food sources. I don't find the map that horrible for fantasy, there are quite some okay-ish sites to settle. I made the jump to the island to the west (or technically peninsula) with 3 cities there, also ferried a settler beyond the southern mountains to settle on the southern tip of our continent facing the Cubans. 11 cities, 42 pop, tech up to CS. Got shamefully beaten to the Oracle for the CS-sling by ms Brexit, so had to tech that myself. It seems she's doing a one city challenge on her magnificent island. The only more or less decently developed AI is George Michael (had a good laugh at Different Corner as his capital name :lol::goodjob: ) with 7 cities. The hit singles and hit movies as resources in the 2017-realm make me think the coming year might give us the same unpleasant surprises as 2016. :eek:;)

3. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Had a lousy start and it seems I'm not doing well anyway. Time to abandon 2016 as a Botm as well as the year. Mapmakers are :evil:.

4. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

Barbs were tough, but Bronze Working was a simple solution: switch into Slavery and whip Resourceless Dog Soldiers, solving the Barb problem.

Resource distribution was incredibly generous. There isn't much for trade, but who needs to trade when you have just about every Resource available nearby? I've even been holding out for an AI to offer up one of the late-game World Wonder Resources for trade, since I recall seeing at least two of a kind on the map with Forts on them, but I haven't seen that option for trade come up yet, so perhaps the AI settling didn't quite work out as planned.

Settling by the Gems got me out of the area, although up by the Pig and Flood Plains could have worked, too.

The AIs don't seem to be doing much other than grabbing some Religions and Wonders. Of course, it's kind of hard for them to assault our homeland, so even with a terrible start, the game will be winnable.

It seems as though the renamed Civs cleverly masked the Unrestricted Leaders setting--Shaka doesn't seem nearly as scary without his Impis. Since he's building US Cities, he won't be reaching his Unique Unit at the tech pace that the AIs have been playing with.

Yes, Ms Brexit is hogging Wonders in my game, too, although she has more than 1 City.

I do like the Philosophical Trait--build a Wonder or two and eventually, you'll get yourself a Great Person or two, without having to try particularly hard to get them.

5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Bah--- humbug... not a Humbaba in sight.