1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 128 - Final Spoiler (game over or abandoned)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Apr 5, 2017.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

BOTM 128 - Purple Reign - Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 128 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

The world continued to live in peace, as I filled up the eastern lands, and built the Colossus and Mausoleum (and got beaten to the Great Library and Notre Dame). When I was first to Liberalism in 1110, I noticed that large tundra to the north and was convinced that kcd_swede must have hidden some surprise goodies in the middle of all that. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be nothing more than a roadblock to any would-be dominators! :rolleyes: Green would settle two cities on the coast of that, but all of the rest of it was universally ignored. At least my galleons uncovered the rich, little island to the east of the tundra, where I was able to settle three more cities.

So, I had a slight tech lead and it looked like I'd probably win a space race, but some trading among the AI might have endangered that. I decided it was time for some Purple aggression. I attacked Green in 1500, took three of his cities and made him my vassal in 1550.

Peach had become a peace-vassal of Black, while Orange and Yellow had signed a Defense Pact, as had Indigo and Cyan. I rebuilt my forces, while founding Sid's Sushi. Then, when Orange and Yellow ended their pact, it was time for a blitzkrieg. I attacked Yellow in 1695 and vassalized him in 1705. Cyan and Indigo cancelled their pact and I was pleasantly surprised when Cyan asked to become my vassal in 1710. I attacked Orange in 1715 and he capitulated in 1725.

The Black and Peach team took a bit longer. After attacking in 1740, I conquered Peach in 1790 and captured two of Black's cities (with Yellow capturing another), before Black capitulated in 1810.

And finally it was Indigo's turn. I (and my nearly-complete set of vassals) attacked in 1812. After razing a city and capturing three more, he capitulated in 1818, giving me a Conquest Victory in 1820.

I'm sure there will be others who didn't wait so long to go to war who will put this date to shame, but I'm pleased, at least, with how rapid the advance was, once it began.

3. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Cascading vassals is always quite a pleasant suprise. Your power is increased by having a vassal, and it is your power that makes them capitulate. So its really a virtuous circle. Glad you enjoyed experiencing it!

4. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Chieftain

Not much to add to my previous spoiler. Captured the remaining five cities from Black Indigo and Cyan for a 100 AD conquest. I was far from going broke and could even research Priesthood and Polytheism during the last turns. HA's are really all you need on this difficulty level.

The big tundra island had a remarkable resemblance with Sweden :mischief:

5. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

As I was saying...

And here I waited to finish the job with tanks, artillery, and bombers! :rolleyes:

6. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I went for space and got there in 1700AD. Eliminated Cyan and Green, Yellow offered to be a voluntary vassal and even did some teching for me (astro and steam). Peach, Orange and Black were added as vassals to the empire by force, so only Indigo was kept independent. Decided to go the corps route and got all my 45 cities sushied and mined up. The huge tundra continent up north helped to keep under the domination limit. Reasonable base score of 9467, 196k final score.

Nice game, Frederiksberg! :goodjob:

7. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I was going for gold, so I went the sushi route. Yellow also volunteered to be a vassal which I was going to refuse but they were the only AI in reach of Liberalism.... I wanted to Lib Medicine but had to settle for Biology as Indigo was going for it.

Messed up the end... as usual, my score going up by 3k a turn (all those tundra sushi cities), I had stopped warring with Black and gave him back a few cities. I was waiting another 5 turns for the next AP vote as I wanted to take a medal (hopefully gold!) with a Religious victory, but all those sushi cites made me somehow gain 3% land on my last turn, tripping domination.

Got to love Airports to help spread corps! Sushi only gave +15 fpt, but Mining gave +30 hpt!

Final base was 7.8k, final score 229k

8. voglchen

voglchen Chieftain

Didn't feel like I played that bad, but after comparing my low 33k score and 1870 spaceship win to your numbers I pretty much still suck when I don't cuir my way to domination/conquest :lol:

Learned a lot about my mistakes from all your gamestorys. I conquered cyan with 5 swords, switched my cap to Pasargarde with good cottages, but settled the island east too late and then went for a peaceful spacerace. Should have gotten a few vasalls or at least more land to go for a faster spacewin. Didn't gift the AIs techs, so was the tech leader all the time which made me tech it all myself. At least I tried sushi+mining this time. Normally I forget completely abour corporations...

A good game with a lot of options that I still don't realise early enough. I definitelyneed to improve my decisions on how I wanna win.

9. greatbeyond

greatbeyond Chieftain

Space win in 1983.
    I adversely affected my early game by attacking Cyan and stealing a worker. I should have waited, but at the time I wasn't really considering a warrior rush. I saw Cyan only had 2 Warriors so I rushed as many as I could, and a force of 6 warriors converged on his capitol. Of course there is a fresh Archer... I tried to attack but lost 2 warriors without scratching the archer so I played cat and mouse with him until swordsmen arrived to take his capitol and the only other city he settled.
    I then took one city from yellow which was encroaching on my borders and then it was the longest era of peace in recorded history. From 1500BC to 1928AD was a time of peace and love. Research progressed rapidly, but even still, trading among the AI kept them competitive. Alliances were formed between the AIs, making the choice cavalry or spaceships. I was ahead in power, but getting some border encroachment from Orange, Yellow, and Green. At this point in time with preparations for space well underway the lust for more power (and a better score) slowly grew so secret plans were developed to conquer, err... invite :dubious: the other civs to join our cause. :grouphug:.

In 1928 we attack Yellow, then Black who Yellow vassaled to. This took the longest as Black was very powerful and then they convinced Peach and Indigo to the party. I took peace with Indigo and had to temporarily declare an armistice with Peach to allow the war against Black to go unhindered. Black, and then Yellow submitted and Peach vassaled to Orange. After that it was Orange and Peach, neither of whom was willing to submit until the were left with just 2 small cities.

At this point I am 5 turns from landing on Alpha Centauri, but Green has been culture flipping 3 former Yellow cities angering Kim Jong Purple. Units are quickly moved into place and Green and Indigo, who had a defensive pact, are subjected to superior military might. on the next to the last turn I have taken 3 major Green cities and 2 of the 3 former Yellow cities and 1 Indigo city. Our interstellar craft lands and peace reigns through out the land :woohoo:, though it seems Green and Indigo must have lost their invitations :huh:

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Went for ye olde AP win. Map probably more fun for conquest or even space, but ..well...I needed an another AP win under my belt, if I indeed get it, and after a couple of misplays early I kinda wanted the game over. First two conquest obviously didn't have the rest of the bunch liking me too much, but I worked that back up while building AP and Libbing Eco. Gifting techs like crazy so I could gift Eco to Mansa and Lib to the Asokas, then switch them to respective favorite civics. That actually came toward the tail end though so only a boost of a point, but all the tech gifting, resource trade bonuses, and such got folks happy enough. Spreading mishes took a long time, especially since Paci spawned in the far city near Purple civ (that area with the super city), then had to get a mish back over to where I was building AP in another religion so I could build it, then switch to Tao the last turn of build..then, ofc, free religion later.

Basically, I had 3 cities with Tao and the AIs just one. I gifted mishes to them near their caps in hope they would spread it to more population, which in most cases they did. Won on first vote once diplo victory was activated with all civs having it ( although certainly not timed for the fastest - counter just stayed a 0 to vote for a few turns) Did not have to switch to Tao last turn..could not anyway since I'd just recently switch to FR.

Built quite a few wonders, with some not finishing before the end. Forget exactly what, but did get GLH early on.