[BTS] BOTM 130 - Final Spoiler, Game submitted

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
Did you manage to win?
Or at least submit a retired game?

Tell us about it.

Won domination.

For all the talk pre-game of MGs, they played a strangely small role. Why? They simply vanished :confused: No idea why or how. Did the AI delete them? I tried to keep tabs on them with some exploring warriors, but the MGs moved about a lot, to new settled cities and the like. At some point I went hunting for them, because it felt like the time for war, and barely saw anybody left. Only had to kill one the whole game, which I did with Trebs. Was lucky there, as the first one damaged it fairly well, and the 2nd survived. I expected to lose 3-5.

Did have an issue indirectly with MGs early on though. Stole some workers from de Gaulle (sadly one got surprised by a barb on the way 'home'), but couldn't get peace for an eternity afterwards. Probably because de Gaulle had a much higher power due to the pesky MGs. Think I had to give him a tech in the end, once I got Alpha.

Another weird thing about this map was that the AIs never built workboats. Capitals with fish resources, and they never built any. Very odd. Aachen had 3 clams, none hooked up, when I captured it in 1000AD or whenever it was. Is this a bug or something, and the AI doesn't build them on this mapscript? At first I wondered if it was impossible to build workboats. But I seemed to recall reading somewhere that as long as a city has sea food, it can build workboats even if it's located in a small lake. When I finally got one of these cities I got my answer, and for whatever reason the AIs didn't build them.

The poor land and quickly REXing AIs was a bigger challenge than MGs, at least for me. I stayed small pretty long, and went to war with Trebs. Most of the warring occurred with Cuirs though.

Moved the capital to Paris fairly late. None were great, but I figured Paris was a little better. At least it had a river and some good commerce tiles. Possibly a first, but I ran with Free Speech for a loooooong time. It helped to combat the culture of Justinian and Suleiman, and commerce-wise it was probably better tbh, as I had a decent amount of towns.

Interesting game, and the MGs did mean no early warfare. Which was an issue when coupled with pretty dire land and quick-expanding AIs. But once I got the ball rolling, it was easy enough. Just logistics and production really. Towards the end I had so much pop that I was a shade short of fully bulbing Astro.

Speaking of great people, I was unlucky with the chances and got 3 GSpies early on. Used them as explorers actually, before using 2 on GAs, and the last to infiltrate Justinian. He was tech leader, I needed some of them, so that guy got to good use. Later I got a 7% GS. Hope for something else, but towards the end I used the two spare GS for bulbing SciMeth and Astro. Had intended to go into Caste at the end of the last GA, but forgot to swap. Barely used slavery towards the end, and better workshops would have been preferred, but at least I could whip out some settlers here and there, plus new infra in captured cities. Spammed settlers towards the end and filled out much of the ice.

Hope some more people finish it before the deadline.

Schroedinger's MGs.
Spoiler :
As mentioned, the disappearing act of the MGs confused me, and I took a few pictures during the game. I figured the dips in power, highlighted below, probably meant they disappeared then, for whatever reason. Would have been nice to know about that earlier, but then I probably wasn't in a position to go to war much earlier anyway. You see the graph climbing towards 1AD.

I was playing a bit, map was certainly an interesting idea.
Lost my will to continue thou after some time, AIs were expanding well at start but then fell back hugely with teching and yup also started deleting their MGs.
So i did not want to invest hours into conquering them, great idea thou @Deckhand.

Workboats and coastal cities for AIs were a common problem when i created some special maps back then too :(
In the end i gave them workboats before game start, found no other solution.
Even then lots of testing before they used them all.
Think i also remember them deleting some units that would not be there in normal games, very weird.

Last edited:
Unfortunately won't be able to finish this game. I was busy with a cuir stomp but it'll take too much time to finish it, RL and SGOTM ate all civ time away in May.

I also noticed at some point that the MGs went missing. I was wondering whether that might be caused by some auto-upgrade mechanism, whereby maybe upon feudalism units are upgraded to the best unit available as per techs available, so effectively downgrading MGs to longbows, or something like that,

I also noticed at some point that the MGs went missing. I was wondering whether that might be caused by some auto-upgrade mechanism, whereby maybe upon feudalism units are upgraded to the best unit available as per techs available, so effectively downgrading MGs to longbows, or something like that,

I noticed that as well, although I'm fairly sure I noticed it at a time when the main defence was still archers. I'm not sure what would have happened, but my guess (I emphasize this was a guess so could be wrong) was that maybe the AI at some point decided it had too many units, and decided which ones to eliminate based on attack strength - which obviously was non-existent for machine guns. The other thing I noticed is that even when the AI did have machine guns, they could be pretty silly about how they used them - sending them off to defend new tundra-bound cities that - as far as I was concerned - they were welcome to keep - while leaving their capitals defended by only archers. The main problem for me as a player was that the mere thought that the machine guns were there meant I didn't attack nearly as early as I perhaps should've done.

Top Bottom