[BTS] BOTM 134 First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 1314 - First Spoiler to 1 AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD! How are you finding Pangaea's custom map?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 134, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

So the North-South wrap is unique, but since there is water, it plays like a flat map--but with increased maintenance costs. I'm not sure I've spotted the other 'innovative' things that were promised. I did spot a Native American Bear.

I've got a nice core set up.
I decided to race to Alphabet instead of the usual BW/pottery because we were told the AI was all given free scouts. I assumed they'd find me. They were a bit slow, but I had enough tech trade partners.

Happies were rare, but I managed to gather enough to support my
102 population (before HG)
23 workers
22 cities
I've owned, but 2 gifted away. (all of Holy Rome, England and 2 from Ragnar, 1 from Brennus)

I can maintain ~300bpt at break even and I'm not building wealth (cus I don't even have Currency ;))
I'll have Machinery next turn and trade for Theo with that.

Wonders: (built) Mids, Paya, Parthenon, MoM, HangingG next turn, (captured) GreatLH.
Why no Oracle? I guess cus Marble wasn't close. I think it went T73. But Louis took MetalCasting. So later, I traded Friendly-Louis Calendar+HBR for his monopoly tech. So I got MC free, and I didn't have to research Poly, PH or invest the hammers in Oracle. He have me CoL too.

Seems like Domination, Space, or Religious are the 3 options I have from here.

Last edited:
One wouldn't expect otherwise, but that's pretty impressive numbers to me, WastinTime! I can only wonder where you generate all the hammers from to get to that many cities, an army and wonders. How many of the 22 were conquered exactly?

I wasn't too unhappy with my 15 cities at 1AD, of which 2 were captured from Ragnar who settled the southern isthmus, but was duly removed. Only 60 pop though. Sustainable bpt is merely 120 or so, but should pick up soon. Tech up to CS, currency and calendar. There's still room for more cities.

The map is very lush of course and quite huge... It looks pretty nice for space, so will surely try that. Looking forward to spamming dikes!

I was worker stealing from Vicky over and over, so she expanded slowly. I think I got 3 cities from her. I got 4 from Holy Rome. With Ragnar and Brennus, that would be 10 captured. One of those gifted away.
So I settled 12 cities myself. That's not usually my style. I don't like building settlers or workers.

I was worker stealing from Vicky over and over, so she expanded slowly. I think I got 3 cities from her. I got 4 from Holy Rome. With Ragnar and Brennus, that would be 10 captured. One of those gifted away.
So I settled 12 cities myself. That's not usually my style. I don't like building settlers or workers.
What did you use, horse archers, or is HBR a costly detour?

Oh, and unless you indeed go religious, why are you so interested in theology? I usually totally ignore it unless for AP cheese.

What did you use, horse archers, or is HBR a costly detour?

Oh, and unless you indeed go religious, why are you so interested in theology? I usually totally ignore it unless for AP cheese.

I beelined HBR after Alpha. It's the reason I didn't get Oracle. I love HAs on normal speed.

I also ignore Theo normally, but Louis was researching it, so I was going to get it for free. Allows me to go to Paper without getting CS.
Also: Hagia. Could be useful on this map since I have 23 workers (soon to be 50)

This was the kind of map I like, with lots of rich land to expand into with my builder style*. By 1 AD, I've settled 7 cities and all has been peaceful, except for razing one city Ragnar settled on the continent to my southwest. I've established a nice lead in GNP and tech, building the Great Library to help secure that. (I wanted the Oracle, but France beat me to it.) I've agreed to Isabella's request to convert to Hinduism; Germany, Rome and Portugal also share that faith, so it should keep that side of the map peaceful, as prepare for a war against England.

*I see my "builder" style wasn't nearly as fast as WastinTime's, not even counting his military efforts that surpassed me on their own. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom