1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 135 Final Spoiler, game submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 135 Final Spoiler

What was fun?
    What wasn't?

2. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Continuing from the BCs, from 1AD the Koreans found their demise some centuries later after a 10-turn reprieve to extract construction from them.

At 400AD I got the mids and around here I decided to pursue culture as a VC, but in a slightly different manner than usual, Sushi being the main motor of it. Around here I only had 4 cities with a religion spread to it, a bit later I got beaten to Music by Zara for lack of attention and then lost the MoM to Mansa, so it wasn't looking very good at that point, but I thought it a fun experiment anyway. I did get Sistine though and of course there was a wealth of sea food all around, so that would at least fuel Sushi.

So uncharacteristically for culture I expanded to 30 cities, getting all sea food that wasn't claimed yet. Meanwhile more religions started spreading, in the end I had 5 religions to work with. The good part of having that many cities was that the spreading was easier and that temples could also be assigned among many more candidates. I selected the capital, Pasargadae (my 2nd city with GLH and Moai) and Seoul as the three to-be LCs.

I libbed biology and had economics' GM stand-by for Sushi that finally could be founded in 1310AD. As a by-experiment I was trying to maximize score for culture, so I spread Sushi to a good number of cities. I had the 5 cultural multipliers in my LCs and built Hermitage in Pasargadae, which was a bit silly in retrospect as it was my corporate HQ which meant that I couldn't build Wall Street there anymore due to Moai being there too.

With all the Sushi spread, for most of the time I couldn't keep the cultural slider above 40-50%. However, the slider affects only base commerce, so with say 80 base commerce I only generated 40 base culture instead of 80, but on the plus side Sushi gave a nice 156 culture per turn in the end and 39 food (which obviously also translated in many more artists hired), so that surely compensated. The capital gave a good 1700 cpt in the end.

Curiously I only generated 4 great artists, out of 14 great people in total (including GPs from economics and communism). Despite that, I got a not totally awful date of 1605AD for my victory. Normally with culture I aim for around 1550AD so it wasn't too far off. Considering the mishaps (no GA from music, no MoM, no WS, few great artists) I think it went quite ok. Certainly it was a fun experiment to approach culture this way! Out of my 30 cities, 20 were size 25+ (8 of them 30+), so for culture I got a good score of 277k.

Thanks for the game.

3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Sorry, I wasn't able to finish this one, but submitted a 1490 save. I had cap'd Zara and Pacal and was getting ready to attack Mansa with grens, cannon, a few rifles, and a couple Mguns that were upgraded from Guerilla3 grens, very nice for making invincible stacks on hills. I always get a kick out of doing that.:) I was still behind Asoka and Wang in tech but way ahead in score and had monopolies on Steel, Steam, and RR (apart from trading Steel to my vassals to get some of their techs) and it was just going to be a matter of grinding out a Domination or more likely Conquest win. Artillery were probably a dozen turns away, which should have been enough to tackle Wang and his Protective city defenders without too much pain. Fun game, wish I didn't have to sleep or go to work.