1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 136 First Spoiler, Warlord or Deity?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 136 - Hammurabi - First Spoiler to 1 AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

Which save did you take?
    Is deity winnable?
    Is warlord ridiculously easy or did early buffs help AIs?

Are you having fun?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 136, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup A Shadow for the Warrior

Welp, I gave in to my own folly and opened the Deity save.
    I have about zero clue on how to pursue a victory but the map sure is thought-provoking :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye:

In the beginning, I tried to expand fast and I surely expanded packed. Played a standard, 0 wonders type of game.
    Got helper cities N, E and S settled first, so as to develop a powerful cottaged capital all while reducing maintenance. That worked well, since I'm 1st in GNP ; at least there's that.

Reality kicks in : for resource variety, we need to reach the North/South poles.
    For my second expansion phaze (cities 5 through 8), I missed, by a few turns each time, on some city sites in all directions (NW, NE, SE) that could have helped give my borders some... significance.
    I settled some grabbers and this made for really awkward borders with my neighbours, as our Empires intertwine.

Neighbour Louis has founded Judaism, which is the dominant religion and he shrined the holy city (25+gpt shrine).
    I sniped it with Swords, Axes and Bows... which is fine, except that now I'm stuck in an awkward war with him.

At 1AD, close to 100 cities on the map. Not sure how to manage the warring.
    I need some Friendly AIs and better diplo overall. Diplo is the key, probably.
    Vassal States would have suited this map like a glove (see : messy borders) but the No Vassals option makes for some interesting conundrums.

Not sure I can handle this map. Certainly not in a clean, well-ordered fashion.

2000 BC checkpoint :
    Spoiler :

Ha ! Once is not usual, I went 2nd worker before settler since :
    - I was getting BW ;
    - uncertain where city 2 would be ;
    - settler would lose turns traveling through forests without chopping/roading.

1 AD overview :
    Spoiler :

Research drops to 270 bpt next turn. GA is from the Music Artist. No stone, no marble, no (National) wonders. Only 1 GP produced for the Academy in the capital.
    Selected stack is in Lyons.
    Yet again, faster expansion after the first 4 cities were settled would have given me better borders. I favoured earlier Classical Era, thinking I'd be able to reap the benefits of early-ish warring. My mistake.
    3 isolated cities in the South. 1 in the North. Resource grabbers. They'll make it hard to declare war on Gilgamesh / Sury.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017