1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 138 Final Spiler - Game Over

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Sep 1, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 138 - Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go? Did you win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 138 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

By sailing my scout around the islands, I cashed in my third goody hut in 125 AD. That one gave me 33 gold. :rolleyes:

Then, when Burgundian, my captured barb city, had finally built up enough infrastructure to be profitable, Stalin attacked and captured it in 450. :cringe: At least I was able to save my experienced jaguar, which would eventually become my superhealer. The next millennium would pass while I fought three wars against Stalin. Greece, Germany and India were all surpassing me in tech, but even if my usual plans for domination weren't working out, I was determined to defeat the Russians. When I finally captured Moscow in 1785 (with the Apostolic Palace) and accepted Stalin's vassalage, it occurred to me that a religious victory might be possible. I switched from Free Religion back to Theocracy and Buddhism and started sending missionaries to all of my cities, and to one Greek city, to ensure that all AI were voting members of the AP.

I saw that wouldn't be enough (and the independent AI weren't voting for my victory), so I attacked Tokugawa in 1808 and accepted his capitulation in 1846. Excellent--except now Stalin became the second candidate and would vote for himself. :mad:

I settled a couple more cities and spread Buddhism to them. I also spread it to more Japanese cities, but forget that their votes would double as a full member of the AP, so that Tokugawa became the second candidate, again, and I was still shy of a victory by 12 votes.

Finally, I attacked China. By the time of the next vote, Mao has become my vassal and I've captured a couple barb cities that the AI had never bothered with capturing. I win a Religious Victory in 1911 with 800 out of 998 votes (52 more than I needed). A messy, slow, sub-optimal victory, but still a victory. :cool:

3. Solyaris

Solyaris Chieftain

Failed miserably with a jaguar war, ended up retiring in the BCs. O'well, cant win every time =)

4. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

was in 1600's headed for an 1800's space. Mostly just trying to se how many WW I could build. Ran out of time... so started the deity one - figured that would be over quick enough.:cry:

5. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

Uploaded BOTM140, and noticed I still had a day and a half to finish this one. Breaking my usual pattern of starting and not finishing decided to "go for it".
    [I usually start early in the "month" until about 1 AD; then set it aside until there isn't enough time to finish. :crazyeye: ]

I had "rushed" India by planting my fourth city on his western shore. When I had left the game Stalin and I were roughly equal. Both of us pretty big (expanded along spokes and into hub) and he was going to be hard to conquer. Stalin had Great Lighthouse, Pyramids, and Colossus. On this map capturing them would be huge.

Saturday: with a lot of planning, I assembled a force of approximately 10 galleys, 10 catapults, and 10 macemen on the island to his east (sailing them there from both east and west. (extra movement point was huge - thanks for hint about easy circumnavigation DS). Easily captured Moscow with its wonders and forces were enough to take 2 other cities (his NE & NW corners) and stalled at fourth city. Meanwhile my other armies were gathering and attacking his hub cities from both directions (I had expanded along both my spokes). Stalin settled two new island cities before I could conquer his last two. I was able to get one by sneaking in a single crossbow vs the lone defender. All my navy movements had to be surprise as he ruled seas with triremes and later caravels. Made peace for all his techs leaving him with one island city.

Sunday: now as usual - what victory condition to pursue? I've won the game and can get any I want and almost anything with Liberalism. Finishing as quickly as possible is paramount, so let's go for Conquest. Large army of trebuchets, maces and crossbows heads toward Fred first. (Fred likes me the least. Early in game I stopped trading with him at Toku's request. Don't do this. AIs hold a big grudge if you stop trading with them).
    Took Military Tradition from Liberalism and started building cuirassiers.
    Germany capitulated after taking spoke cities and one big mainland one.
    Army attacks Greece, while cuirassiers upgrade to cavalry and head to Japan. Japan caps first. Then Greece.
    Finally time to attack good buddy Mao. [He had AP, I had been worried about losing religious victory; but few other civs had Christianity and I started spreading it to my cities.] He capitulates after I take his four hub cities and an island one.
    Finished with two hours to spare.

Great People: GS Math for CS from Oracle; Great Artist Golden Age; GS - Education; Taj GA; Great Prophet - Theology; Great Merchant trade mission; GA & GS golden age; GS, GA, GE golden age.

I really liked the map. @DS - did you break up the starting areas into two or regenerate until you got the multiple islands? Were they a result of the high sea level?
    Spoiler :
    I was also considering Hub for 139 to give players safe start area on deity. But you did it first.
    With both current games my creations - I hope neilmeister creates a vanilla soon. ;)

6. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Seeing as you got fastest conquest and the silver medal, I guess you made quite a good choice in the end!

No breaking up. If I recall correctly, some islands were there at the start, presumably because of the high sea level. I added quite a few other islands myself though, specifically in order to make sure you could circumnavigate without too much difficulty.

7. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Chieftain

On hub maps, I often try to settle hub as soon as possible, or at least best spots there. Well planned army movement is important for faster conquest. This time, hub map wasn't flat, so ships were also useful for army transport in late game. Mostly, galleys were enough, so I delayed Astronomy in order to use Colossus bonus, until galleons were really needed in last turns.

8. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

^ ditto.
    You did better than me though. The AI beat me to some of the spots I'd wanted.
    I never took Astronomy. Galleys were essential for invasions of India and Russia. After that Engineering for movement.