1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 139 Final Spoiler, game submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Well, what happened?

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

At 1 AD, Brennus and I are at war with Monty. I convert to Buddhism, which is Justinian and Brennus' faith, to reinforce my relationship with them. Justinian resumes the war against Monty in 150.

Although I hadn't noticed it in the BC, Monty had captured a barb city on the eastern coast of my peninsula. At the speed he can build defensive units, it take me until 700 to capture this city, when I finally have catapults assisting my praetorians. I make peace with Monty for horseback riding. I'm far behind all of the AI in tech, and they've been building all of the world wonders before I have a chance at any of them.

Justinian has built the AP, but he switches to free religion by 1040 and Brennus, spurred on by a bunch of missionaries from Saladin, converts to Hinduism. Now I'm elected resident of the AP, and I begin to think that a religious victory is possible. I spread Buddhism to all of my cities.

Monty is now at war with Justinian, again, and again I attack Monty. Justinian captures Tenochtitlan in 1240 and I take Tlatelolco in 1330. I have the most population and land, so I immediately ask Monty to capitulate. He refuses, but he capitulates to Justinian on his next turn. :mad:

My plan for a religious victory goes nowhere. Brennus is pleased with me, but he doesn't like me enough to vote for my victory. I spread Buddhism to the rest of his cities, thinking that relations would improve if he converted back to Buddhism, but he doesn't like me enough to convert. :mad:

Justinian completes the UN and I'm elected Secretary General, but none of the AI like me enough for a diplomatic victory through this path, either. Finally, I get a break going my way; although I still haven't completed a single world wonder, in 1836 I found Mining, Inc. Spreading that to all of my cities gives me a significant lead in production. I'm still far behind in tech, but numbers may carry the day. I start a military build-up.

The AI have started the space race, but Justinian will achieve a cultural victory, first. He has two cities at legendary status and his third city is about 20 turns away from it, when I attack him in 1904. (Before this, Monty has somehow broken free from Justinian. I don't know how, since Justinian has slowly been gaining land through cultural expansion and Monty wasn't near the 50% land and pop threshold needed for freedom. Then Monty peace-vassaled to Brennus). By 1915, I've captured four of Justinian's five cities and accepted his capitulation. Monty has meanwhile broken free of Brennus. He now becomes a peace-vassal to Saladin.

I attack Saladin and Monty in 1917. Thanks to Justinian's earlier cultural expansion pushing right up to two Arab cities, I can blitzkrieg one on the same turn I attack, and I capture the second city on the next turn. Monty is conquered in 1924, and Saladin capitulates in 1926. After a couple more turns for borders to pop, I win a Domination Victory in 1929. (I finally had enough votes from my vassals to win a UN victory, but that vote came just a turn before Saladin's capitulation).

3. Solyaris

Solyaris Chieftain

Played the Deity map

Domination victory in 1340 AD. Justinian was killed by Saladin in the BCs. Conquered all of Saladin and about half of Montezuma before he got rifles. Just had to settle a few cities to get over 68% land mas (which was good, since I doubt I would have any chance against rifles).

Hardest part was the barbs in the early BCs, followed by constant fear of beeing attacked by Montezuma. Luckily everybody ganged up on Justinian =)

4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

This is why I can't imagine how anyone survives at Deity. Can you be more specific about how you made your conquests, if Saladin had already conquered Justinian in the BC? What was something you did very early in the game that led to beating my victory date by six centuries, at a far higher difficulty level? :confused:

5. Solyaris

Solyaris Chieftain

Well, you cant always win on deity, but with a bit of experience you can win maybe 60-70% of the maps. Long term planing is key. Except for cultural/religious victory you have to go to war at some point. On immortal and below horse-archer rush is nice, but on deity is too much of a risk. Catapults and war-elephants work if you got elephants, but it might ruin you economy too much at a time its hard to make a comeback. When going to war you have to go all in, if you try to do several things at a time (like building wonders) you'll lose the war on deity. I generally prefer courrsiers (no idea how to write that right) since they have good odds against everything from musketeers and down and have 2 movements. You'll almost always be able to able to take out 1-3 AIs (until they get rifles), and sometimes win the map alone. Its also relatively easy to get MT "early" since you can use 2-3 GS to bulb philosophy/paper/education and then use liberation to get either NT/MT.

On this map I expanded to 9 cities. Got 2 GS (one for academy, one to bulb education) and 2 GM. Prebuilt about 30 horse-archers. Libbed MT. Used the 2 GM to get about 3000gold and upgraded most of the horse-archers to courrsiers. Then stumped Saladin with those 30 courrsiers while building new ones to replace losses. Took out 4 of Montezumas cities before he got rifles (at witch point you usually have to stop since rifles own courrsiers). Settled a couple of more cities to get over 68%.

6. petersc

petersc Chieftain

Couldn't agree more. I was not nearly prepared for them. Once they showed, I was just playing catch up, trying to produce another unit for every one lost. Must've rebuilt some improvements four or five times due to their pillaging, and they even took my capitol. Fell so far behind the AI while fending them off. :(

Fought Justinian some, but everyone else loved me. (Buddhist) Just wasn't large enough to be a contender in elections.

Brennus capped everyone but Saladin I think, and won a late Diplo victory.

I'm not capable at this level (played the emperor save), so I was just glad to live to see the end.

7. greatbeyond

greatbeyond Chieftain

I played the adventurer save.

For once it appears I did slightly better than some of the better players, at least as far as barbarian ordeals go :D. I built several warriors and used them in the East to cut back the number of barbs spawning. My first city went to the SW and settled to block the land gap. then it was a Settler to the stone area, followed by one to the NW blocking the pre Astro access to my part of the world. With a few warriors placed strategically on hills I pretty much ended any barb threat. Unfortunately this barb success didn't translate into a winning game. :(

I did seem to be holding a place just behind the other civs trying desperately to catch up. Saladin was the powerhouse, ahead of everyone in techs, and had vassaled Monty and Justy. I did have a defensive pact but couldn't get him to agree to a permanent alliance. Then it was my turn. I was struggling to get infantry when Sally attacked I was able to hold him after taking the blocking city and my city to the NW. Then I was rushing to hopefully getting tanks before Saladin came back. At some point in here a UN vote banned nukes, which took that strategy from my try to win playbook. Little did I realize that Saladin had already made several tactical nukes that he decided to "gift" me. End result was that he decimated the western half of my lands, even nuking his own stacks of units in a couple of instances. I guess he had enough to spare. I was saved the embarrassment of being eliminated when Saladin went over the domination limit.

I replayed the scenario a couple of times and was finally able to achieve a domination victory. It is probably the only time I have achieved a domination victory on Deity, though this wasn't a true Deity game.

Thanks for the scenario and the adventurer save.The small number of civs and being grouped together made it harder I feel. On the other hand the land mass design with the player being able to effectively block the AIs made it a little easier

8. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Sorry, I tried to submit my Deity-game retirement too late--thought this one went to the end of the month. I gave up in 1290 when it was clear I was just going to fall farther and farther behind. I did follow my first-spoiler plan and attacked Brennus in the SE by boat a couple turns after 1 AD and captured that city, but couldn't make more headway. I then threw everything over to the west and went after Monte, taking a couple meh cities, but again hit a wall. The AP was a real hassle, and I had to defy it three times in order to keep some campaigns going, with predictable results. As I sort of knew at the time, going against Brennus first was dumb; Justy and even Sal would have been better.

So that's what I did in my second attempt. Sal and Justy had been warring for a long time, but I couldn't get a decent stack of cats, trebs, and praets ready until just after Justy cap'd to Sal. I attacked anyway and took two of Justy's cities, but Sal had way too many units to attack, so I took peace after capturing Justy's last city, Constantinople. Wow, what a gem! Three settled Great Generals and a couple GPs, tons of food and production! Unfortunately Justy was gone completely so I couldn't vassal him and trade for techs. I beelined to Steel, but Sal's huge hordes of cuirs would have made mincemeat of my cannon with their flank attacks so I waited until I got RR and could build Mguns for stack defense. It was just in time, as Sal attacked me with cavs the very turn I got RR. I upgraded some grens to Mguns and held him off, then turned the tide and cap'd him after taking two cities and letting him smash his stacks against me. Then it was just a matter of reassembling all my units and taking Monte's cities (using artillery against his infantry) to get over the Dom limit in 1765.

The main differences b/w my two games were: getting to the SW marble site before Monte (although my city was under relentless cultural pressure, gradually losing the clams, the lake, and then flipping); going after 4-city battle-weary Justy first instead of big bad Brennus; concentrating more on GPs to get an academy, a tradeable tech (Philo), and several GMs for trade mission cash; and playing more defensively against the AI, letting them smash themselves while I bided my time on defensive positions. Thanks for the game, DH.

9. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Chieftain

Congratulations to Solyaris for taking both gold medal and domination award :) I'll describe my game although it was much weaker than his, but I got silver and cow anyway ;)
    I managed to defeat barbarians, and get all of the peninsula for myself. My SW clam city was my only lad border with AIs. That city was cursed, because it often exchanged its owner, and all AIs which held it for some time, were vassaled or destroyed by me. Only Arabia never took that city, being the only AI remaining free at the moment of my domination victory.
    Montezuma was at war with Justinian, and asked me for ca$h tribute. I refused, thinking he has enough on his hands right now, but he attacked me and took that cursed city from me. Then he gave it to Justinian for peace. Later, Brennus took that city from Justinian. Finally, I took that city from Brennus during Great war.
    Great war started by my attack on Justinian with my infantry vs his riflemen, but I got backstabbed by Brennus and his vassal Montezuma. I won the war due to large number of infantry(Mining inc. helped me much), by vassaling Justinian and Brennus, and killing Montezuma. Earlier, Montezuma became vassal of Brennus, because I bribed him to teach Monty a lesson because Monty attacked me for refusing to pay tribute to him 2nd time.