1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 139 First Spoiler, Augustus, Deity

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

How has the game gone so far?
    Has the world been peaceful? How many civs have you met? How many different civs have founded religions?
    How many cities have you built in your area? Anyone sneak in there?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 139, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

I took the adventurer save, so I'm playing at Emperor difficulty. I still can't imagine how anyone survives a game at Deity.

I met all four AI fairly quickly. Monty settled a city inside my southwestern bottleneck, but after he attacked Justinian in 1280 BC, I agreed to ally with Justinian and captured this city. By 1 AD, Justinian has made peace, but Brennus has joined the war against Monty. I have a total of seven cities, including the one captured from Monty and one from barbs.

3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I took Deity for "fun." Lots of fighting off and on but nobody has attacked ME. I captured two barb cities and have 8 with 34 population. Score at 1AD is 908 (last of course) with Brennus on top at 1344. I missed settling the SW marble site--expanded first to the NE because barbs were such a pain up there, and Monte grabbed the marble a couple turns before I could. Had one scary moment with a barb archer threatening my NE city but after that they were a minor nuisance, with only warriors defending their two cities, which I took with praets. I'm just about (this turn, if I have the nerve) to attack Brennus by sea in the SE (around the mountain blockage). He still doesn't have Feud (nor I) so it's now or never. I have around 7 praets and the same cats. Should be enough to take one city and to get a toehold, then hopefully I can pump in more and grind him down. Justy only has 4 cities--I probably should go after him first since I'm pretty hard for the AIs to get at, but I hate having to rely on Monte's forbearance to get to Justy, and Brennus is less advanced. We shall see...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  4. petersc

petersc Chieftain

Adventurer:
    1 AD finds Augustus reclaiming his capitol from the barbs. They were so annoying during my attempt to REX. Since I lost Rome my capitol is now my SW (bottleneck) city. Now that Rome is back I have a whopping 2 cities. So far behind; it's pathetic.

5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

6 cities built, 3 taken from barbs. Lots of happy resources... thank you! Got IW at 1200BC and started making my army. Justinian asked me to join his war with Aztec, so I did, but no battles for me- tooi busy taking barb cities. I bought peace for Meditation (after making tons of trades for being first to alphabet). At 1AD just got Code of Laws to help with the maint costs. Running HR & OR & Slavery.

Still, I am last place in every category - so about usual for me on Deity. Not bypased for trade opportunities, so I'm not completely out of it yet. But this is where I usually blow it by atacking someone with a 20 unit stack when I need about a 50 unit stack. Monty is just there to slow me down.. Justinian is culture-crushing my boirders, and Brennus is steaming ahead in tech, and Saladin is also going to be formidable. Should I atack Monty for the best chance of winning a war, or atack my friend Justinian because I will have to eventually if I want to win, or attack Brennus since he's the only one I can reach who will become too monstrous to handle soon?

Or should I go play botm140 at Noble level and hope the deadline pases on this one before it starts going south? I mean, at 1AD things are going nicely... maybe I should quit before the inevitable apocalypse?:cringe::lol:

6. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

The starting area was tricky: we'd lose a turn by moving just to get the Rice, and we'd miss out on 2 Flood Plains squares, so I wasn't sold on that idea.

Settling on top of the Marble was tempting for the extra early-game Hammers, but we wouldn't be able to get there quickly (due to the Hills and Forest squares to the west and south-west of our Settler) and by the time that we had gotten close, we would have committed a couple of turns of movement, and then we'd lose even more turns if we discovered no nearby Food Resources and had to move back. On Deity at Normal Game Speed, I wasn't prepared to lose that many turns.

Settling on top of a Wine Resource would be nice for the extra Commerce, but would mean missing out on the Corn.

So, I decided to save the idea of settling on a Wine Resource to grab the Rice for City #2, which meant moving away from the Wine. That meant our Settler moving 1 SW onto the G Riv For, which keeps the Flood Plains squares, keeps the Corn, keeps the Gems, opens up a spot for City #2 on a Wine Resource, and most importantly, allows City #1 and City #2 to be connected by a River for early Trade Routes--that extra bit of Commerce is incredibly helpful on Deity, where tech research has to be quite focused and you have little time to spare with detouring to techs like The Wheel when you don't start the game with such a tech.

City #3 was planned for the Marble, either beside it or on it. After exploring the area, I'd had my heart on settling just to the west of it, but when my Settler arrived on top of the Marble, I saw two nearby AI Settler Parties, one from Justinian and one from Monte, so I just counted my blessings and stuck with settling on top of the Marble.

As for Barbs, I played my typical conservative opening of "not rushing off to explore with my starting Warrior and instead trying to use the first 5 turns to get him into a good spawn-busting position."

Spawn-busting ended up being my early-game focus. I should have also detoured to Archery, as the Barbs got hot and heavy before they started settling their own Cities, but I foolishly felt that it would be worth it to skip Archery, thereby losing a City, a Worker, and probably 4 more Warriors than would have otherwise died had an Archer been defending.

One thing going for me is that the Barb Cities which spawned ended up being defended by Warriors. Thanks for that situation, Deckhand. So, I earned one Barb City and there are two remaining within sight to be captured, with Barb Archers only just starting to join the ranks of the Barb City Defenders.

I'm finally getting Praetorians online, after my early-game settling choices made me miss the Iron within a big fat cross until my Barb-razed City #4, which ended up getting resettled later with Settler 6 (which is now my City #5, due to one City having been razed).

Monte has been throwing stacks of units at Justinian for a very long time, but Justinian scored Feudalism off of Saladin, so Monte has failed to capture any of Justinian's Cities.

A word of warning: Permanent Alliances are enabled! If multiple AIs gang up against another player for 40 turns of shared war, then you could have to face a 2-AI Super Power later on in the game.

On the other hand, if you can be on the same side of a war with an AI for 40 turns (even via a "phoney war," where you don't fight any battles) and you can keep that AI happy, you could end up being the one forming a Permanent Alliance once one of the AIs reaches the required tech level (Communism or Fascism), to pull yourself out of the hole. So, hang in there and your patience may be rewarded with a wonderful AI ally!

I believe that there is a restriction that prevents you from gaining a Permanent Alliance with the #1 AI. I'm not sure exactly how the AIs are ranked, but I imagine by Score in the bottom right Scoreboard, so try to be careful about picking your future Permanent Ally as an AI who won't be decisively in the lead ahead of the other AIs. Score rankings shift up and down a lot based on tech research and population, so be patient if your chosen partner isn't quite ready to join up with you.

In the meantime, kiss the butts of the AIs when they come asking for things--it doesn't pay to be greedy when you're behind. I'd even go so far as to have "Resource bait," such as having 2 Wine Resources available at any time, since Monte loves to demand a Resource when you have 2 or more copies available (he won't ask for your only untraded copy, hence keep 2 copies of the same Resource available). Doing so allows you to trade away one of your 3 Wine Resources for something else useful, while still having a "stay out of a war" card available when Monte comes to the door asking for a handout.

So far, I have +1 You Accepted our Favourite Civic from Brennus and +1 You Gave us Tribute from Monte.

Also, don't worry about missing World Wonders. The AIs don't really know what to do with most of them. While you wait for an AI to unlock Permanent Alliances, focus on planning out decent locations for National Wonders. It shouldn't be too hard to set up a Heroic Epic with the number of Barb Units around; although I'm nowhere near to researching Literature yet, I do have a Praetorian with 10 XP. I'm planning on putting a National Epic at a City with only 1 Food Resource--even simply earning 3 or 4 Great People while you wait for an AI to unlock Permanent Alliances can make a big difference, as then you'd be able to launch 2 Golden Ages, during which time you can probably beeline a tech or two that the AIs have been avoiding for tech-trading purposes. Alternatively, you might be able to Lightbulb a tech with a Great Person and trade that tech around.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017