1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 141 First Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Oct 24, 2017.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 141 - First Spoiler to 1 AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

So how are you finding the tiny map? Did you find the resource island? Did you expand peacefully or did you start attacking your neighbours?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 141, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

I settled Athens in place (a decision that seemed wasteful, when I later discovered copper beneath it). Sparta was settled to claim the ivory, Corinth on the gold island, and Thebes north of the corn. IW showed that I had one iron resource already, but I was building another settler to claim a second iron to the southwest, when DeGaulle settled on it, first.

I decided to attack DeGaulle in 525 BC, to keep iron out of his hands. Unfortunately, Hannibal responded by immediately attacking me. A two-front war looked bad, especially when I saw that Monty was was WHEOORN. Fortunately, Monty chose to attack DeGaulle. With the iron city Lyons in my hands, I was able to take a tech from DeGaulle for peace in 425 BC, and I could now focus on Hannibal.

At this point in the game, with the gold island being so small, I'm thinking that our own continent is that special resource continent. At least I seem to have more resources than my neighbors.

3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Rather old notes so I don't remember a lot but had 5 cities at 1AD, total 26 pop, score 963 (2nd behind Carthage at 1126). Settled in place, 2nd city on the gold island, 3rd down south to get iron (which I soon lost to French culture), 4th SW of a dye up by Carthage culture, 5th on top of one of the ivories south of there. I think I built the GLH (?). Missed circumnav by about 3 turns after poor planning let Carthage get it--I was tardy in sending a sentry (+1 vis) war elephant out east. Not ready to attack yet but the French must be punished for pushing on my borders.

4. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

The minute I saw this crowded, duel map, I had one goal in mind: fastest domination ever (previous best is 75 BC)
    I teched BW for Phalanx rush, math for chops and fort, sailing, and beelined CoL to be able to work artists to pop borders and to get one great artist (to bomb border expansion). I ended up using it in my capital (which I also SIP).
    My last and only other tech was Agriculture (never used it, just to boost my score I guess).

My 2nd city was 3 tiles from Paris, sharing the Pig. I connected Ivory in my 3rd ring, but never settled a city there. Similarly, I also forted the gold instead of settling a city there. My capital already had the land tiles in culture for domination purposes.

Stole a lot of workers from DeGaulle (as usual).

The biggest challenge was not running out of money. I had to give away a few cities temporarily.

18 cities and domination victory well before 75 BC :thumbsup:

5. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

okay iam curious if WT plays ;)
    Are you faster than 625bc? ~~

I did close research after sailing & maths :)

Hmm..some more info, i did not SIP.
    Not really interested in clams for "let's hurt some AIs" games, went for PH.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. WastinTime

I almost went for settling the PH too.
    You sound like your game was more focused on speed than mine. I just wanted to beat 75 BC by a safe margin. I conquered too much, got settlers out too late, and I went way past the dom limit--borders would expand the following turn (I didn't need the border pops), so I would not be surprised if I'm ~10 turns slower than the new record.

7. Fippy

Fippy Warrior Queen

Was very focused on speed with phalanx rushing, yup.
    But not so much "late" game, only when i realized i still did not meet one AI i started on settlers ;)
    I also over-built phalanxes and was on strike for 5t or so in the end, did lead to some tension in getting settlers where they needed to go for domi.
    Seems settlers are never disbanded during strike if other units are first available? Not experienced with those mechanics.

8. WastinTime

settlers are immune from strike. Also a galley with a settler in it is immune.

9. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

This game was a first for me in that I played it in one session.
    Also unusual for me in that I had a particular victory in mind from the start: fastest domination.
    Didn't happen before 1 AD though. :(
    (I took some notes, not sure where they are atm.)