[BTS] BOTM 144 Final Spoiler, game submitted

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff

BOTM 144 - Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go?
Did you win? Why not?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 144 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

As always, it seems I was able to more than get my money's worth from this scenario, managing to stretch the game out to 2041AD. I had a choice of waiting another 3 turns to land on Alpha Centauri or take the slightly earlier domination win which I ended up doing. I hoped just before the end of the last turn I could get Lincoln's vassals to break free and capitulate to me but it was not meant to be.

My first settler went south to block Lincoln from expanding northwards. Then I settled just west of the second city to block the sea route to Carthaginian lands. After that it was one central city and then infrastructure and Numidians to take a few barb cities. I managed the Great Lighthouse, Colossus, and Pyramids in Carthage and thought I was well ahead of the AI. I expanded to take up all the available land , then sent a couple of settlers to the landmass to the north. In retrospect I should have prioritized Astronomy before I did. Lincoln discovered it first and settled two of the three metals islands. The AIs managed to keep slightly ahead of me in research making it tough to get superior troops for conquest.

My first war came when Boudica, who had vassaled Napoleon, declared on Brennus who had vassaled Washington. I was able to take two of Brennus' cities at the pinch point between the two landmasses. I then took peace and prepared for the war against Boudica. Once I had tanks it was war with Boudica. She lost a lot of land and cities before capitulating and shortly after taking one of Napoleon's cities he also capitulated.

Next it was Lincoln, who had vassaled DeGaulle, declaring on Brennus, so naturally I piled on. I took a couple of his cities, when Lincoln hadn't managed to take one, so of course Brennus capitulates to Lincoln. I bide my time a little, but Lincoln refuses to give up and is headed for the stars. I complete the Internet which allows me to back off research and build my armies. Time is running short and it looks like Lincoln may be able to launch before time runs out or before I can launch.

The war starts and I slowly start chipping away at Brennus, Lincoln's homeland, and his cities on the landmass to the northeast. It takes awhile and Lincoln's strong navy is a genuine pain in the butt. Brennus refuses to capitulate after breaking free from Lincoln, even when down to his last city. I finally go over the domination limit and take peace from Lincoln along with a city and some gold.

It was a fun game and I appreciate the staff's efforts. One nasty surprise is the types of units that the AI could build without having any iron.

Thanks for the report @greatbeyond. Wish more people wrote reports about how their game went. Sounds like a fun game, and that image above is great.

Top Bottom