[BTS] BOTM 145 First Spoiler: 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 145 First Spoiler

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

Where did you settle? How did you find the starting area? Did you discover the extra food that you were promised in the game announcement thread? Are you still alive? Did you manage to expand before the deity AI took all the land?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 145, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry
Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Settled several turns north in the flood plains. Unfortunately not nearly as nice as I was hoping and praying for. Probably should have move the scout SW to look for the food and settle 1E. Anyway, I built a about three cities including the copper on the southern map edge, built lots of cottages, made the mistake of letting France extort me into war against America. Didmy best to collect plusmods with China and England, who were both Buddhist, as was I. Still alive at 1AD but the game isn't looking exceedingly promising because I'm completely boxed in. I also got lucky in capturing a rice city north of the copper from the barbs when some AI knocked it down to one unit and I cleaned up.

Very hard game, research is going well but i have only 5 cities and no iron or horsie (nobody trading those even)..would be in good position for Cuirs otherwise.
Floodplains spots are nice, but lack of resis makes this tuff :)

Now i tech towards Rifling, which is okay i guess..can Lib it (AIs are teching slow overall, PP will give a nice boost (and can bulb), but still lots of techs on that way.

I settled in place after seeing the deer with my scout--figured it would be enough food and didn't want to settle on a river square (save for cottage). Settled between the corns next and missed the cow/something/something site to the NW by a couple turns. Then expanded north along the river. I think I got to 5 cities before Qin DoW'd me around 500 BC--resigned soon after.

I tried again four more times with different strategies--all ended badly (AI DoWs) but it seemed that taking four or so turns to move the initial settler up north (as LC did) to get more floodplains and have a chance at snagging particularly helpful resources worked the best. I kept up in tech for awhile that way but always fell behind before long. LC and Fippy obviously did far better than I but I'll be impressed if anyone pulls out a win.

Qin has +1 base attitude and only 20% unit props, pleased rather fast with early writing & open borders (good for Cre libraries too).
I did not worry too much about him or Louis with Axes, but i also only expanded north towards Church (besides copper city, settled that on Rice :)).

Qin has +1 base attitude and only 20% unit props, pleased rather fast with early writing & open borders (good for Cre libraries too).
I did not worry too much about him or Louis with Axes, but i also only expanded north towards Church (besides copper city, settled that on Rice :)).
Right, but he still DOWs at Pleased (I forget if it's 10% or 20%), so you got lucky if you didn't get him to Friendly before WHEOOHRN.

I knew from the start that I had no chance at Deity, but I decided to give it a try.

Settled Moscow 1E. At 1 AD, I'm boxed in, but have squeezed in 5 cities. Hopelessly behind in tech, production and GDP, but the game has been peaceful, so far.

Top Bottom