1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 146 Final Spoiler: Game Over

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Jan 3, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 146: Victoria's Empire: Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go?
    Did you succeed in your task of building an empire that the sun never sets on? Or did you win by some other devious means? Or did one of the AI win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 146 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain Supporter GOTM Staff

475 AD Domination, 70k

Finally got around to finishing this. After my 1AD spoiler, it was pretty straightforward. I did cut it very close, finishing with just 1-2 tiles and 1-2 population points over the dom limit, so I had to spend a lot of time counting towards the end. Killed Shaka quickly, then razed two of Gandhi's cities and one barb. Spammed about 16-18 settlers. Got a GA at about 65% odds and bombed it near Saladin. That was disappointing, because I did quick test simulation of how many tiles I would take, and the real result was nowhere near. Must have done something wrong in my test. Alas, I didn't get to kill an LB. My main stack was in place to attack one of Gandhi's on the victory turn.

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Played to 25AD on Jan16; continued Jan 18 & 23.
    Brought over a few more horse archers and started with Shaka after all as Ulundi was lightly defended.
    Had some good luck for a change
    Spoiler won defense <3% :
    upload_2018-1-27_16-17-45.jpeg

Spoiler Mansa Peace Vassalizes :

see image
    Spoiler :
    I'm even less competent loading images than I am playing. :(

Spoiler Useless Ally :
    upload_2018-1-27_16-21-7.jpeg
    :lol: Mansa's catapult has been flailing away at Shaka's scout for centuries.

Conquered Gandi second.

760 ad, meet Lincoln when he finishes AP; same turn I learned map making so traded for his map. Built caravel for circumnavigation. Never invaded America.
    1160 Domination after capturing all of Arabia except city in north.

Attached Files:

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

:lol: Great warfare there by Mansa's cata :D

I put in an effort to finish this game over the weekend, and finally got it done. By 1AD I was teching quite nicely, so thought it made sense to play the long game and go for space. We got there in the early 1600s. And that was despite forgetting to start building the engines for two turns. Eventually I launched one-footed, as the other engine lagged several turns behind.

As often is the case in these games, it was dangerously close to the domination limit, hovering 3-5 tiles short for a long time. That was after I liberated a city on the barb continent to Saladin. Thought I had to gift away a mature city, and could have done that, but it was a pleasant surprise that this was enough. Close shave though.

State Property was a good fit for this map. I really didn't want the even worse micro task of spamming courthouses and executives. Both Sushi and Mining would have been rather good though, in terms of extra :food: and :hammers:. But colony (and corporate) maintenance would have killed.

Following the 1AD update, I killed off Gandhi with Elepults and HAs. Stole his gold too, although he had less than I thought. Saladin declared on Mansa, and despite having better units, I keep getting shocked at how badly the AI defends at times. Mansa lost his capital and threw in the towel and bent the knee. Amusingly Saladin was plotting on us towards the end, as the fist went away when I begged some gold. Not that he would have got very far against Machineguns (but in fairness he did get Grenadiers around this time).

Fun game, and thanks for the map :)

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

bbp - Isn't culture pressure over time kinda hard to simulate in a test game.

well, not many write ups, but the ones we have are great. I have not submitted a gotm in a while..just have not had time to play.

First off, kudos to DS for a nice game and map (and a somewhat useful missionary :mischief:)

I just focused on economy and expansion early on with not much thought of early warfare, although it would have been fun. Built GLH/Oracled CS and pushed on to Astro to continue expansion on the NW islands, then prepared some Rifles and Cannons to go attack Lincoln for that Christian Holy City (not that it was much count, I built Shweggie early and ran Free REligion all game) Next thing I know, I think - well it's kinda getting later in the game and I really haven't thought about victory - hence not playing in a while - so I went the space route.

But still must have fun killing peoples, so I hit Gandhi (who was teching relatively well .much better than the other AIs..Mansa was kinda crap) and he capped after like 1 turn and 2 cities (Shaka declared on him the turn after me). Saladin had capped derpy Mansa in my game too, so I moved another army across the inlet and wiped Mansa out in one turn, then slowly carved my way up Arabia until Saladin was no more.

Then it was all pushing tech and production to finish Space, while keeping Shaka moderately happy - not that I wouldn't destroy him, but I didn't need any surprises either nor did I need his land as I was already pushing close to dom limit which luckily held out for several hundred years. Finished an unimpressive space victory circa 1700 or so.