1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 149 - Humbaba - Final Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Feb 17, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 149: Humbaba!! : Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go? Did Humbaba sail away to find other continents? Or did you stay and build an empire on the starting continent? Did you win? Are any of your panthers still alive?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 149 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

I quit after the artillery got disbanded due to lack of funds. At this difficulty level I had to contain my neighbours but keeping their cities was too expensive. I couldn't raze them because a certain person has a tendency to accuse me of inciting genocide. Needless to say the accusations are not based on reality (civ4 is not reality and even in game I prefer to liberate oppressed citizens instead of razing the cities). The forum rules prevent me from identifying the person in question. However it's not anyone who posts here AFAIK.
    It was fun while it lasted, however none of my panthers survived the barbarian and animal encounters.

3. Alquest

Alquest Chieftain

I had fun. I tried (again) to play more or less like Flippy (GOTM145). Captured London at size 3, settler, settler worker. No plans whatsoever to attack more with Humba and swords. I didnt like the 13% mortality when attaking. Disbanded all but one panter upon capture london. Loved the land, and the river, no roads needed. Just went for 5 city at 1 AD (turned out to be 6) Whipped a lot of granary, lib, and markets. Research at 100% or 0%. Should have moved palace. Forgot too often to pull slider to 100% again..
    No dragged into any war, not one embargo and traded with all. Everyone loved me. That was relaxing. Got my 2 gs and Acedemy and bulbing some, wich helped. but I got too far behind. Couldn't research anything that other didnt already have.
    I think I need Flippy to decribe what she did with drafting and nationhood (iirc). I never had a chance taking any city.
    After 1 AD I closed the gap a bit, and got even to pass Ethiopia but a few turn later I was falling behind again. Prob made a mistake not beelining to an undiscovered tech.

I let America grow to much. Great cultural pressure all game.

Played too late in the morning untill 1848. Got great plans next day but BOOM Mansu cultural win 1852. Ah well. Never sow that coming. Maybe check graph mid game from now on.

Had a little smile after Paper and map trades on 'didnt count the tiles but from eyeballing u dont get dom. only from starting continent.'. Thx!

Thx for the game.

Attached Files:

4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Continuing with my Adventurer game report--

After expanding to nine cities, included one captured from barbs, Humbaba began a long series of wars with Lincoln in 980. I made peace with him twice in exchange for techs (I remained far behind the AI), before finally conquering the American Empire in 1770. Joao was pleased with both of us; I was lucky that Lincoln didn't become his peace vassal, since I was no match for Joao's superior troops.

I now had more land and pop than any of the AI, so it was time for some peaceful economic/scientific expansion. Joao had captured one barb city up in the northwest, which was becoming a cultural border nuisance on my captured American cities, particularly after Joao founded Sid's Sushi. He was nice enough to spread that corporation to my cities, so I was able to resist that cultural pressure. In 1911, I finally got a Great Engineer (after being annoyed with low probability Great Spies) and founded Mining, Inc., which provided a further boost to my economy.

I went to war with Joao in 1922 and conquered him in 1934. Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, a series of wars had forced MM to become Gilgamesh's vassal and Alexander to become ZY's vassal. As I built an invasion fleet, Alexander broke free, and thus became my first target. DOW in 1941, conquest in 1944. ZY was conquered next, in a war that lasted from 1951 to 1953.

In 1957, I attacked Gilgamesh and MM. I was briefly worried when I realized that MM had one legendary city and was only eight turns away from having two other cities become legendary, but they didn't last that long. After taking five of MM's cities, including his legendary capital, I tripped the Domination Victory limit in 1962.

Which was a shame. Because, playing out the game for fun, I captured MM's last three cities by 1963, at which point, Humbaba (long since elevated to his full power as a Mobile Artillery) achieved his ultimate ambition: Gilgamesh bent the knee. :smug:

5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I didn't like the look of English lands and was pleased to discover 2 AIs close to each other to the South, not so please at again a lack of commerce (one of the reasons I ignored Liz's lands).

Took Lincoln OK but Joao had metal so that was tough going and I had severe barb trouble from the North, one city changed hands half a dozen times between me and the barbs. Seriously I hate Barbs, I'm either going to have to stop playing games where they are active or build the Great Wall every time (not that I had much chance of it in this game!). I retired when it was clear I wasn't going to be able to take Joao's cities.

Well it was different and we were warned it would be challenging so can't really complain lol. Thanks for the game.

6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

And my favorite hate is theft of an honest victory by an AP vote! :mad: Almost happened to me this time, when I was about 5 turns from a Dom victory. I was beating up the master/vassal triumvirate of Mansa, Alex, and Zara and a Diplo Victory vote came up; first AP motion I'd had to deal with all game because I'd only recently captured a bunch of Hindu cities. After voting for myself (having just captured the AP), I checked the Victory/Members screen and saw that, yes, I would lose if the three all voted for Zara. Before the turn ended I revolted from Buddhism to Hinduism (2 turns of anarchy) to increase my voting weight and narrowly averted disaster (although it turned out that Alex abstained so I would have been safe by a couple votes even without the religion change). I've raged against the AP on many occasions; it never gets old. ;)

Anyhoo, Diplo Dom win 1705. I couldn't quite make Mansa+Zara capitulate before tripping the Dom threshold. Thanks for the game, DS.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Noble Zarkon likes this.
  7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

With a heavy heart I have submitted yet another incomplete game :sad: With a tip of the hat to the great scientist who has sadly departed us.

Genuinely think the game was in a good position, with 11 cities in 540AD, and a few more settlers in the tubes to fill out some spots. Traded for Machinery this turn, so could have pumped out Maces and smashed up Lincoln in the near future. Alas, it was a brief history of not enough time.

Spoiler Map of core cities :
    Think it was 350 :science: or so at full tilt. As you can see, I moved the capital to a great location, and have an Academy there. Another GS out soon to part-bulb Edu. Still a lot of forests left. I've put many chops into the few wonders I can build, waiting for the big payout.

Not pictured here, but the lone surviving panther is still fogbusting the ice in the north, like in the 1AD update.

Humbaba status.jpg

Good luck to all that actually finish(ed) the game. Look forward to some stellar dates to make Humbaba proud :)

8. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Submitted incomplete too, remembered this one too late and found not much time.
    Ty for the deity save, wish i could have made more use of it ;)

Empire screenie 225BC
    Spoiler :
    Had completed Glib and NE in Cap, i think it was going well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018