1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

BOTM 150 - First Spoiler to 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Mar 22, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 150: Huayna Capac - First Spoiler

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

How did you do in the BC years?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 150, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry
    Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

In a move I soon regretted, I settled on the marble. Not sure what I was thinking. Luckily, the gods took pity on me and the plains hill eventually popped a gold mine. At 1 AD I have 9 cities and 47 pop and am just barely 1st in score, with Monte hot on my heels with 8 cities. In what is for me an extremely aggressive game, I eliminated Hanny in 3400 BC and choked KK, pinning him in one city (with a horde of archers) until I could attack with cats and eliminate him in 225 BC. I also DoW'd Sal in 1240 BC and have knocked him down to 2 cities which should fall soon. I'll have MC next turn, but no Aesth, Lit, or CoL. Monte has CoL but I have Math, Currency, and HBR on him. I plan to be boring and unoriginal and go for Dom or Conquest.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  3. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I did settle in place and conquered the Mongols in 3200BC and Carthage in 2880BC. From there on it's been peaceful, I expanded to 10 cities with 64 pop. Tech is up to Civil Service and Literature, built the Pyramids and Hanging Gardens in the former Mongol capital and Great Library in my own. Monty and Justinian are battling it out, the other two are rather backward. Probably will head to space if I don't default to domination before that. Anyway, hope to finish, it's been a while since I actually submitted a game.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Settled 2S..not more food, but pretty good none the less. Took Carthage quick. Mongolia more of an issue as really bad luck on first attempt...darn hill city. He got another city E of Krak and eventually took both..stole a lot of workers though. Filled in cities.

Monty DOW'd me. I saw it coming. I had Maces quite early anyway. He had so much production..ha..units constantly, but easily fought him off and eventually vassaled him. Pretty sure he bribed Sal on me. Sal entered with a stack, but I bribed Mao on him and he retreated.

Had..I don't know..11 or 12 cities by 1AD.. Pace of the game seems fast. Monty war slowed things down for me and made me lose out on Great Library. Not sure what I want to do here. Thinking Space too. It would be nice to finish a GOTM for once.

Built Oracle, Mids and Parth. Dame and Shweggie possibility. Miffed on TGL, but may capture it.
    Oracled MC...CS not really much of option here with Justy present.

Really fun map here.

5. LinkDinkin

LinkDinkin Chieftain

I settled in place and and the capitol turned into a pretty good quechua machine. I'm not that experienced with the quechua rush, but I decided to go all in with it, and by 1 AD I took out Carthage (1 city) and Mongoloia (2 cities) and I'm on my way to capturing all 4 Arabian cities with just quechuas (thanks to very little metal on the east side of this map). Haven't settled any cities of my own yet, but there's lots of space to fill in. I'm doing pretty well in tech and wonders (Pyramids, Parthenon, Great Library and working on Hanging Gardens, plus Nat and Heroic Epics). Seemed like early military was a pretty successful strategy, though I'm sure I could have done it more efficiently.

I made a really dumb error early not switching the capitol's 1 worked tile to the improved deer for several turns.... frustrating but it didn't seem to really affect anything.

I think the quechuas won't be as useful after Saladin, so I'll probably lay back and tech for Liberalism. I still need to explore the rest of the map. Monty declared on Justinian and Mao is still pretty small so I think all options are still open at this point. Space Race might be fun given how strong the initial cities are.