1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 150 - Huayna - FInal Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Mar 22, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 150 - Huayna: Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go? Did you win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 150 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. babybluepants

babybluepants Chieftain Supporter GOTM Staff

100 AD Religious Victory, 106k

This was my first ever attempt at a religious win. I had to do some reading and testing on the AP mechanics. :lol: Disappointing result in the end, as I missed the first vote cycle, which would have been 10t earlier.

Settled 2S, which was really nice. Killed Hannibal in 2400 BC and KK in 1960 BC. Their capitals were so poor! Had to raze them and build settlers. :sad: Peaceful game thereafter. Oracled Theo, built the Christian AP in the capital, converted Mao to Christianity and worked on Justinian and Saladin for votes (conveniently, they both have Theo as their fave civic :D).

Monte caused me some problems, as I couldn't get OB with him - this is why I had to delay the win by 10t. It was a really tricky diplo situation, because I got hit with -3 "you DOW our friends" early and he was Justinian's WE, but it worked out in the end. Monte was also in WHEOOHRN for the last little while, but I saw his stack heading towards Justinian when the game ended.

Fun map. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I'd say a 100 AD win is OK for a first attempt at a Religious Win. :lol: And I second the "Fun map!", including the small size. I went with Dom/Conquest in 1080.

4. nocho

nocho Chieftain

After 1AD I first conquered the weak Arabs and then the Aztecs. I decided to declare on Justinian to erase a border city that held the AP and had annoying cultural pressure over former Aztec lands and to conquer another city. That left me close to domination and from there I turtled my way to space. It was a nice map for communist paradise. It dawned on me quite late that aluminum was probably only to be had at the western part of the map and of course both were in Byzantine lands indeed. So I had to renew operations against Justinian again, erasing another city to be able to settle on top of the northern aluminium. That left me less than 2% short of domination, but not much risk of tripping it as there weren't many more tiles to be had. Ended up reaching the stars with a regular date of 1750AD. Thanks for the game!

5. LinkDinkin

LinkDinkin Chieftain

My early strategy of taking out 3 civs with just Quechuas is not something I've ever attempted before. Seemed to work OK, but it was a lot of land to fill in and took a while to stabilize the economy. I got pretty far ahead in tech and used Liberalism to get Nationalism and brought a small Cuirassier stack against Montezuma. He vassal'd to Justinian, so I changed plans and went after Mao instead. That was a mistake--I should have bribed Justinian off Monte and taken all of Monte's land. Instead, I got all of Mao's land in the south and it wasn't great. After that, it was peaceful til Space. 1826 space victory with I think 25 cities. All told I built 75 quechuas and lost 60. Definitely could have warred better.

Pace was slow without anyone to trade with even with tech slider at 100%. I had to gift Monte a city to avoid triggering Domination. When Aluminum was revealed, there was a resource within 1 tile of my culture. I made the mistake of thinking I could flip it and wasted a bunch of time trying that. Eventually I did what I should have done from the start: gift techs to Justinian so he could get up to Industrialism and trade it to me...

Anyway, could have played better, but I learned some new stuff from the Quechua rush and aluminum mishap.