1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 154 - Soon

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, May 5, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Hi guys, just in case anyone is wondering what happened to BOTM 154, which should have come out on 1 May... Sorry, I've been having mega-real-life-issues (nothing serious, just very time consuming). Aiming to get the game announced in the next couple of days...

2. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Thanks, DS. We all appreciate the selfless and unpaid work you and the other admins do to bring us The Game. :)

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  3. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Hope your issues don't last longer than 9 months. :cool:

4. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Indeed.:thanx:

kcd_swede likes this.
  5. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

No worries, DS. Why just not put up a standard random map (fractal) with no cooking. If imm level i might chime in.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Agree with @Major Tom, just put up a quick and fast game that doesn't take a ton of work. With the deadline looming on the only active BTS game, it would be nice to get out another one. Perhaps even more so now with the SGOTM over, which may lead to more participation here?

Also, I hope you are/were able to sort out the real-life issues. It can be a pain. Huge upheaval at work for me atm, so no idea if I or half the crew have a job a few months from now. Pretty bad situation. But I digress.

7. Alquest

Alquest Chieftain

I got a bit bored and it probaly sucks as some things are variable, and u all prob dont like the setup.
    But it's gonna be a fast game. And totally impossible most likely.

Attached Files:

8. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

When is Botm 155 coming then?

9. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

1 June

10. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

HA HA HA! Cheeky! I think that 'issue' lasts about 18 years, not just 9 months ;) But thanks for the support everyone. It was just extreme busy-ness/me taking too many things on/etc. combined with deadline for accounts and tax return, and both of my main computers managing to break at the same time! Getting sorted now. And I see Deckhand has now stepped in and released the game I was supposed to do. Thanks Deckhand! :goodjob:

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work out like that. Even if you just do a standard map, there's still a fair few hoops to jump through to get the game uploaded and logged in our database, and get the announcements done and so on. Generally I reckon the quickest I can get a no-frills game prepared and announced, assuming nothing goes wrong, and without rushing too much so I screw something up, is about 2 hours. Minor customizations add a bit to that time, but not much. If it's a really big customization - something like a mainly custom-built map or AIs with strange properties that we need to test to make sure they work properly, then it takes a lot longer, but we don't do those games that often...

(As a completely irrelevent aside: The worst ones by the way are the ones where you have some amazing idea, carefully craft the map, test-play it, and discover after half an hour of test-playing that the idea doesn't actually work, go back, tweak the idea, and discover it still doesn't work, and so on... The game a few months ago where you started with a missionary was a case in point: My original idea was to start each AI actually running civics and a religion that was historically appropriate to the real-life countries. So the UK would start running mercantilism, the Americans would start running free speech, and so on. Set up game, tested it.. Didn't work. Lots of experimenting later, I finally figured out that if you didn't know the technology required for one of your civics, the game would just silently swap you back into the default starting civic as soon as the first turn was over. Couldn't find any workaround other than to give the player and the AIs various techs, which would then require more testing I didn't have time for, to make sure that didn't have any other bad game effects. Cue much watering down of the idea until you basically ended up just with the missionaries and religions!).

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Can testify to that. The Game of Thrones-y map I mad a good while back took a stupid amount of time. But then I had to do everything, land, features, resources, AIs, and lots of testing -- and probably still ended up with too good land after all. Was fun, though, if a bit frustrating at times. Just rolling with a random fractal map is a good deal faster, although I don't know about all the other things you guys have to do behind the scenes to make it all work.

12. Deckhand

And I almost always make some mistake and have to redo something. :hammer2: I'm getting better after five years. :wow: Was going to boast about botm154 being perfect, but no - I had to resize the civ image and re-upload the files. :yup:

13. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

Hello, I am sorry for being off topic, I got very excited about playing this BOTM, but I cannot get McBUFFY to load, in spite of studying all the threads here and spending a lot of time trying. I posted in the Mac forum, but it seems it can take months before anybody looks there, so posting here in case somebody play on Mac and can help me - I would be eternally grateful! Here is my MacAssetChecker errors list

Attached Files:

14. Deckhand

I hope someone that sees this can help you. I will bring it to attention of AlanH. He may be able to help you. He faithfully creates the mac builds for each release. Minou played them, but his last entry was botm130.

15. Fine_Distinction

Thank you very much!

16. Fine_Distinction

OK, I solved one problem, McBUFFY loads now, looks like I needed to download whole Civ IV from Steam. But I am still getting "The save file you selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your folder has not been changed" and even when I click "OK" it does not open, so I still need help ...

17. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Hi

You seem to be trying to discuss this in two forums. Please don't double post - I'm easily confused! I've replied in the Civ4 Macintosh->MacBUFFY thread. Let's keep it there?

18. Fine_Distinction

Sorry, the Mac forum seemed rarely visited. I followed your tips, but problem still not solved, posted in the mac forum.

19. Fine_Distinction

I finally managed to install McBuffy on Mac, with big help from Allan H and I am ready to start to play GOTM :)

What is "exceeding hammer overflow" exploit? I am probably not likely to do it since I do not understand the term, but just to be sure. I have not played McBuffy before, in normal BTS if hammer overflow exceeds unit/building cost they seem to be lost?