1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 155 - DeGaulle Final Spoiler, game submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 155 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Any trouble with AI teams?
    Much fighting?
    They are all 10 of 10 for building units. :evil:

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Game status: Religious Victory for France
    Game date: 1790AD

Settled 2N1E (between the two lakes) for the fresh water bonus. Was aiming for a cultural win but teams has super charged research despite the AIs being a bunch of unit spammers and the level being Warlord! Managed to build the AP in Christianity but with Hinduism as my main religion. This was shared by the Shaka team whilst the Ragnar team were Confu (but weren't that bothered by my different religion), can't wait for Buffy 005 as hate the scoreboard lying - Shaka showed as Pleased but never voted for me! I had an army and Shaka spent 1000s of years fighting Napoloen but never asked me to join in :crazyeye:, probably should just have joined in anyway. That was the only war all game!

Tried to balance spreading Christianity to the Ragnars without having one of them adopt it so for 100s of years was just a dozen or so votes short. Once Ragnar switched to free Religion I was able to adopt Christianity, double my votes and win with both of the Ragnar team voting for me.

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

All continued peacefully in the AD. My usual strategy is to try for a domination/conquest victory; when that seems unreachable, my backup plan is to try for space. I built up a tech lead and that seemed perfectly possible, but I was still hoping the AI would war with each other and provide me with an opportunity to exploit. Although various teams were at WHEOORN at various times, war never broke out.

Fast forward to 1850. I have a nice tech lead and I'm working on Apollo, but Team Shaka is annoyed at me and I don't like waiting for him to attack, so I bribe Team Napoleon to attack him. I wait two turns, to give their stacks a chance to destroy each other, then I join the attack. Team Napoleon makes peace, but I conquer Shaka in 1905 and Shaquille in 1915.

Fusion finally gives me a GE in 1918, which I used to found Mining, Inc. Spreading this gives me a huge boost in production.

I still think I'll get a Spaceship Victory before Domination, but I decide another war will boost my final score. I attack Team Napoleon in 1940. That goes well, with Bonaparte being conquered in 1947 and Napoleon in 1952. But in the meantime, the AI spies get their revenge by sabotaging several of my spaceship components. Often they do so on the very turn I complete them, and the game mechanics give me the notice of their destruction before I even see their completion notice.

I'm still trying to finish the ship, but I'll have enough land for domination as soon as the captured cities pop their borders. I attack Team Ragnar in 1956--and their spies destroy another spaceship component. I capture a border city and I'm a turn away from capturing Rags' capital when I achieve a Domination Victory in 1958.

4. Alquest

Alquest Chieftain

Attacked Mansu when he had (app) 8 galleons with troops, which retook his cities too many times.. Shouldn't have waited for cannons, i sucked, still suck and will continue to be hopeless.

Only nice thing was settling early city's in between the AI and gifting them to the opposing sides. Which gave me good relations and them border tensions.

5. Deckhand

:lol:

6. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

That's brilliant!

7. Alquest

Alquest Chieftain

Thanks! To be fair, not my own idea. I got inspired by this:-
    Spoiler Let's Play Civ :

It did result with them all pleased with me, and some wars without me.

Moderator Action: Tidied up presentation of video --NobleZarkon

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2018
  8. SoxSexSax

SoxSexSax Chieftain

Feeble 1975 cultural win. No wars at all until 1900s. I faffed around too long spreading religions, hence abysmal end date. :( Been over a year since I last played, so rusty as hell (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

9. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I took the Challenger/Emperor save and it did not go well. I was under the impression from a previous game or two that featured teams that the tech advantage wasn't all that big--it appears that I was incorrect. I got the GLH and the Colossus, which are both great on this map, but didn't pay enough attention to my military. I realized this early in the ADs and started to work on the problem, mostly by getting the Moai up in a city on the spoke to the SE with fish and iron, and to a lesser extent in a couple cities to the west. Too late, though. Just as I was starting to crank out units, the Shakas demanded cash and I foolishly refused. They DoW'd next turn (350 AD or so), immediately joined by the Norse. My first loss was, of course, my Moai city, and another fell soon after. I retired around 660 AD.

Try try again! In my 2nd attempt I expanded a bit faster, particularly to the west to grab stone earlier and get the Moai finished in the same eastern city as before. I also settled some cities to the south, which I hadn't done before. I didn't get the Colossus, but I did have enough units to deal with the Shakas when the inevitable DoW came again, around the same time. It was still a somewhat close thing, and I lost my westernmost city (with the stone), but I'd pulled out the few units defending it and counterattacked with a nice stack of my own a few turns later. From there on it was constant war. I'm up to around 1500 AD now and have them down to about 8 cities. The WW is killing me and they have an inconvenient island city so I'm going to take two more cities, accept peace, and then attack the Norse. I should have Mguns in about 10 turns and have had cannon and grens for quite awhile--should be enough to slug my way through their cities. The French are running quite away ahead, but I'm on good terms and they haven't followed the Steel path so I should be able to deal with them when the time comes.

Update 7/25/18: I played up to around 1700 and then dropped it to play BOTM156. I killed Charlie and have Shaka down to that one island city that I'll take when peace expires in a few turns. Zara is dead and Rags is down to 4 cities. He just got Artillery but has only built a couple and I have enough cannon and grens/rifles/Mguns that I should be able to finish him off pretty quickly now. That would put me very close to or over the Dom limit. The Napoleans are significantly ahead of me in tech but I figure that once I get infantry and/or artillery I could knock them back enough for a win, so I've declared virtual victory. Quite the slugfest, but I enjoyed the challenge (even if I failed the first time ;)).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  10. mscellaneous

mscellaneous Chieftain Supporter

Returned to Civ4 after a very long break. Played contender and managed a cultural victory in 1836 AD.

Settled in place. Expanded to 9 cities, which was overkill as it seems you only need 6 temples for 3 cathedrals. Thought you needed 3 temples per cathedral. Self-founded 3 religions. Gambled with Great Library in my GP farm and was punished with 6 GS at 75 / 25 odds :sad: In the end I had only 6 GA for a culture bomb. Two more GA would have shaved about 8-10 turns from the end date.

Diplo wise it was an uneventfull game, was never in a war and was never threatened.

All in all it was an interesting game. Thanks to the creator(s) of this game.

11. Noble Zarkon

It depends on Map size, this was small so 2 temples per cathedral.

12. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

I had no prob staying far ahead in the tech race. It was my usual game, with the Oracle-Bur jump, and settling distant along the spars to prevent AI encroachment. No barbs helps emensly. Was trying for cow/dom but due to deadline tok the fastest RT victory which was Diplo. Sad... built a lot of tanks that never got used. BTW, won by using HR with the Vikings and joining their religion, plus bribing them to join my war against the Shakas. Fun game, but not at all how I planned. The window for killing with advanced units was a lot shorter than normal due to teams.

13. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

I enjoyed this one. I didn't get to finish - (started late, was traveling for work and ran out of time), but I took a similar approach to @kcd_swede early on. I figured since it was Warlord, the maintenance costs would be low, and they'd be slow on wonders and getting cities up, and I could forward settle the spurs to grab nice land in the center where every city was coastal.

I forward settled the copper towards Rags, used whip overflow and some chops to GLH in a city I put just a little south of Paris on the Pig/Corn site, and I took Oracle-Bur, plus I bulbed philo. Got to alpha and traded techs around to get up to Monarchy. ...for Diplo I was about to switch to HR and join their religion, and see if we could beat up on Shaka. Had more trouble than I expected getting the foreign trade routes going. I had the arrows up early, but it took a long time to get any actual trade routes, not sure what was up with that.

I wish I'd picked up construction a little earlier. Almost went for Oracle - Nationalism or EDU but I decided to play it safer with
    Bur.... though Paris isn't that good of a Bur cap.

It was 675 BC when I ran out of time. :\

14. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Yeah, isn't it funny when you think this will be a 1-2 session game you can complete b4 the deadline, and find out evil mapmaker has intended a longer game?

15. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

I know... I was also trying to play at my very best (so I was going slow). I think my main ceiling in my play at this point is that I play when I'm tired at the end of the day, and I get into 'fast-play-autopilot' mode.

kcd_swede likes this.
  16. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I had a great fun game, totally wonder spammed and expanded fast but was shocked at the teams researching ability. Best move I made was to grab the corn/2 seafood spot on the native american 'arm' as my third city, this I felt allowed me to consolidate the green lands

Killed of the Zulus and the Holy Roman Empire before grabbing the juicy Native American lands. Started on the Romans but stopped as I approached the Domination limits... I settled in and went for space with maximum score. My score was still going up when I landed but I dont know how much was left before maxing out.

Fun game! Space in 1802

SittinDown likes this.
  17. Deckhand

thanks for posting here

nice to see people having fun even when it doesn't show in the results

results have been published

18. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

Thank you, Deck, I also played without submitting as I ran out of time traveling. Will try to submit unfinished games in the future, just discover GOTM Replay and compare tool and it is super cool!

I also prioritized GLH and Collossus on this map, missed Pyramids and did Oracle, but was afraid to wait for CS, took an easier technology (forgot which).

Interestingly, I also played until 350AD and my military was rather weak, although slightly better than Ragnar's and Shaka's (individually). All AIs were friendly with me, so I assumed they would not DOW me, if I have time I will try to play couple turns more to see. Were the AIs also friendly with you before they DOW'ed? I also saw no fist.

19. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Shaka showed the fist for several turns and on the turned he attacked, Rags (who had NOT been in WHEOOHRN) joined him--I assume Shaka bribed him.

20. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

Thanks, Xcal. I digged up my Teh Gauls save and my AIs were only pleased, not even friendly. Played quickly until 880AD, rather uneventful, my army was 6/7th, but nobody DOWed me or demanded tribute.

That was my biggest surprised of the game, that these alleged warmongers and unit spammers allowed me to settle aggressively and tech peacefully :confused: