1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 157, Noble Queen Isabella Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

This thread is for discussing botm 157. Anything goes as game is complete.

Thanks again for Noble Zarkon stepping up and creating games when the usual map makers were absent.

I started but got busy with other stuff and didn't continue. The start was amazing with all the commerce and happiness resources.

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Well, I completed this game only because of the extension. Had a pretty decent Culture game going, and just totally derped on the fact that I was passing Domination threshold.

Game kept the seemingly recent trend of no strats near the start. I settled slowly at first, settling a couple of cities just W of Madrid and the island, and built GLH. Seems I haven't played this level in some time - they were quite behind, and probably could have taken out Wang with warriors. When my scout warrior finally reach Seoul he was at two cities with each 1 warrior - for quite some time. Plopped a city N next to pigs/horses and teched HBR to take out Wang. I was teching extremely fast at this stage. Wang gave me three cities.

Meanwhile, I had sent a warrior E to find America and France. Thought about taking out Lincoln at this stage. He had no strats (jungle iron) and 1 Archer, but he settled on copper. Moved to France and he had 1 Archer in Paris. So I sent all my HAs..about 6 over there and took out France in 3 wars (he was willing to ceasefire after each city so I did and rinse repeat). Great luck too. I think I lost 1 HA on attack and he killed an injured one with a chariot.

Paris was great and I planned to build Taj there.. Ha...well, I was about 2 turns from finishing Taj when the game said I won by Domination.

And yeah, I wiped out friendly Cyrus with Elies and stuff. But I wasn't aware of the map size, so did not even think about tripping Dom. Figured there was more land across the sea or something. Apparently, just the continent.

Ha..of course, optimally I should just settled the cities I needed for Culture - 9 or so, maybe with Wang's cities, but I get bored with Culture games so I have to go out and kill peoples.

Heck...Dom very easy in the BCs here, so my game blows chunks, but still a fun map, and funny map with the weird jungle placements. I don't know if that is a Terra thing or by design.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  3. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Chieftain

I do not remember exactly what I did. Generally, felt much easier than Hattie Monarch. I dominated AIs early, most of the game was trying not to trigger Dom Victory, but in spite of proactively giving away cities, I triggered it unexpectedly when I was close to getting a food corp (I debated Sushi, which I could get a bit faster, but would create problems with generating unwanted culture and Cereal, which would be more what I needed, but a bit later). Was a bummer as I was about to start to milk score big way.

Other than that, I realized early on that the game would likely be effectively over before conquistador will come in handy, and that was the case, planned to built at least one just for fun, but did not managed to because of an "accidental" win. I did try out a citadel to get CR 3 Trebuchets, that was fun, but probably a waste of hammers, at the time when I could get them, I was in a dominating position anyway, could get CR trebuchets prolly faster by just mass building them and gaining experience from combat. Also in my test games, AIs were much closer, so initially I was preparing to war earlier and was surprise dot see so much of uncontested, great land to settle.

For conquest, I went with Wan Kong first, do not remember exactly why, I think both because he was close and protective, to avoid problems later. Next, Cyrus, he was very nice and my BFF in game, but 2 other divs were very far away.

My biggest surprise in the game was de Gaulle suddenly building a Pyramids when I was 1-2 turns from completing them! That took me completely by surprise, other than that AIs were very slow this game, not completing any wonders etc. When I finally got an alphabet very late (~ T160, iirc) there was not a single tech for me to get from them! Annoyingly, Mids were very far, but since switching to rep was important for my game plan, I sent my army to France same turn, taking the Mids city first.

Other than that, after this and Hattie Monarch gotm, I not only understand SPI finally, I love it! And Isabella, combing SPI with EXP, may be my favorite leader now.

Thanks for a great game, @Deckhand, and all GOTM staff, keeping GOTM going!