DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 160 - Inca

What happened?
What challenges did you face?
What was fun?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 160 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Went peaceful (have a feeling that is weak play, but no iron remember) until drafted rifles. 1600 AD Conquest.

Funny how Ghengis Khan took about all early wonders in his isolation.

Oh, this was a while ago now... :)
This was my first GOTM ever, thank you so much for the work you put into this!

I had troubles with civ after installing buffy, my game started to freeze over every time I alt-tabb or windowskeyed.
This is resolved now, but it was very annoying.
I imagine also that this will corrupt my save file in some manner, making it illegable?
However, I had loads of fun which is the important thing.
One of the first times I play señor Capac.

I remember that I was suprised to see a hut, and I was even more suprised when there was no barbarians!
Mining->Bw->TW->Pottery.

Did a rather late construction attack on Gilgamesh at T120. Took a few cities and capital and took a peace treaty for CoL.
He peace vassaled to Saladin a while later.
Teched like a madman and used liberalism on steel and declared on Saladin at 1120. He was very slow to capitulate (think he finaly caved in when he only had the island left) I sent cannons and riflemen with galleys (which was kind of funny.) to end his misery.
Had a respectable stack when I attacked Zara and he capitulated after two cities very quickly.
I was very close to the dom-limit and just had to go 100% culture for a few turns.

In retrospect, it was very good that I conqured all of Saladins land, else I would have had to go over to Khans island, which I could ignore in my game.

Lessons learned:
* Read the game settings before starting to play!
* If you are going to do a construction attack, do it quicker for better results.
* Pay attention to the victory conditions, is it enough to vassal your opponent or would it be better if you took a few more cities reaching the domination limit quicker?
* If you play to win, play HC, wonderful trait combo.

Went peaceful (have a feeling that is weak play, but no iron remember) until drafted rifles. 1600 AD Conquest.

Funny how Ghengis Khan took about all early wonders in his isolation.

Yes! I was quite suprised when his face showed up. Was expecting Louis or Ramses.
Do warmongerers change their script when they find themselves in isolation, or was it just a fluke?

As feared, RL too busy and my pace too slow to be able to finish by the deadline.

Wasn't doing well anyway. Missed out on the iron during the settling phase. Missed by about 3 turns. Turns out, you need iron to build cuirassiers and to build frigates. :(
Took Astronomy with Liberalism. Attacked Genghis with cavalry. But didn't bring enough. Took his capital, then city with GLH. But then lost that city and the reinforcing fleet. Then available time to play ended. Would not have been able to finish even if I'd attacked smarter.

As feared, RL too busy and my pace too slow to be able to finish by the deadline.

Wasn't doing well anyway. Missed out on the iron during the settling phase. Missed by about 3 turns. Turns out, you need iron to build cuirassiers and to build frigates. :(
Took Astronomy with Liberalism. Attacked Genghis with cavalry. But didn't bring enough. Took his capital, then city with GLH. But then lost that city and the reinforcing fleet. Then available time to play ended. Would not have been able to finish even if I'd attacked smarter.
Exactly same by me. Missed iron. Went for Astro and rifles to take juicy wonders at Khan. Mistake. Could not hold on captures so limped in the galleons and started with Zara instead.

Too bad with your time, Deckhand. Extending deadline over an extra weekend should be ok, if you ask me.

Exactly same by me. Missed iron. Went for Astro and rifles to take juicy wonders at Khan. Mistake. Could not hold on captures so limped in the galleons and started with Zara instead.
:cool: I feel a little better now.

Too bad with your time, Deckhand. Extending deadline over an extra weekend should be ok, if you ask me.
Nah, I'm going to try to play/complete botm161.

iirc I traded for ironworking quite late, and was worried about the lack of iron as well.
I think this was one of the reasons I went for the construction attack on Gilgamesh although it was late. Securing a source of iron is really important.

There are sooo many games where I have done similar mistakes as you mention, and instead of trying to salvage the game I just reload from an earlier save. This is fine for learning purposes, but I really enjoy the concepts of these GOTM to help devolop a "Oh well, how do I move on from there." attitude.
Seeing that BOTM 162 is diety difficulty, I think I am in for some rough learning! :)

Thanks for hosting and thanks for sharing also the negative experiences!

I also did elepults, but on Sal. He peace vassal'd to Gil during the war. (caused Gil to surprise DoW on me)
That's pretty rare. It was exciting to be on the defensive for a change. I built walls in one city to survive his attempt at attacking me.
I was being lazy so it was a good thing that Gil forced me into whipping a 2nd army for him.
Oddly just those 2 AI conquered almost puts me over the Dom limit. Taking Zara as a vassal would have tripped it, so I left him alone...for a while.

For the first time ever, I declared war (on Zara) to get Rice! I've never fought for rice before.
I wanted that solo deer too, but I couldn't take any more land.

I tried a quechua rush and failed miserably and gave up. :)
I also did elepults, but on Sal.
After seeing you crush Deity with quechuas, why didn't you do so here? Any reason why you might deem it too risky (like protective neighbours as here), or did you just feel like going another route?

I gave Quencha rush a thought on T0, but then I figured it might be a trap laid by the mapmaker. :)
When I saw two protective neighbours, I thought "Phew! Glad I didn't fall for that trap!".
Not sure this was intentional by mapmaker though, but thats what I thought at the time.

Don't think I really thought about it at the time, but usually when I see an elefant I relax my plans for any type of rush abit. I know that I will have opportunity to wage war successfully later on if the map calls for it.

After seeing you crush Deity with quechuas, why didn't you do so here?

I suppose it was mainly the protective trait. And it's normal speed instead of epic or marathon.
But now that you mention it, it was probably a missed opportunity. We don't get to play Inca very often in GotM.

I thought that one commits to a Q-rush in T0.
AT that stage one does not know neighbours traits.
When do you decide to go Q-rush?

When do you decide to go Q-rush?
I remember it well. It was back in 2012 when I was going for 5 million score. I determined that what worked better for me was to wait a bit on the rush unless you're going for 3000 BC conquest. For longer games, get to size, say 3 and work corn, gold, gold (or whatever your capital's best tiles are). Then put out a Q stack quickly using the extra hammers you have plus possibly a whip and/or chop. This often allows you to capture 3+ cities instead of 2 per AI and get more free Terraces, free workers, and tile improvements.
Of course, you sill steal workers with the starting warrior and I often put out a quick 2nd warrior to go the other direction.

Is Jovan active on the forums?
I took a look at his game and saw that he went for PP early, and then using Lib for democracy and changed to enmancipation.
Is this some strategy that I'm unaware of, or was he simply running high culture slider, trying to power up cotages to gain land for a quick dominaion?

Top Bottom