1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 161: Pacal II First spoiler to 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Oct 4, 2018.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 161: Monarch Difficulty, Pacal II
    Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

How did you do in the BC years?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 161, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry
    Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. mscellaneous

mscellaneous Chieftain Supporter

Time flies by when you are having fun. A nice and interesting map which gives and takes, compliments to kcd_swede :goodjob: Just one more turn and suddenly it's already 75 AD!

My game up to 1 AD...
    4000 BC, moved warrior SE to reveal Corn and decided to SIP. First techs where Agri > BW > Wheel > Pottery. Mutal builds Worker, Warrior, Settler, Worker, Worker. Lakahma was founded 2640 BC, 1S2E from the Corn. Met Toku around turn 25, talk about being walled in :lol: After Pottery I stopped and thought about what to research next. In the end I chose AH since I wanted to settle my next 2 cities close to Mutal: Chichen Itza 2S of Mutal settled at 2000BC and Uxmal 2W at 1600 BC. Workers focused on chopping and cottaging.

When I found the Phants further east the game plan for the BCs was more or less set: beeline Construction then HBR and take some of Tokus cities. Construction was researched at 925 BC, 6 cities with 7 workers. Declared at 325 BC with 5 Catapults and 4 Phants.

At 1 AD I have 10 cities and 11 workers. 3 cities were captured from Toku who has 2 cities left. Feudalism will come in 3 turns, just in time to capture another city and make Toku my vassal.

As for the end game I haven't decided yet as I did not put much effort into scouting. There is so much cottagable land that going for space seems viable.

kcd_swede likes this.
  3. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Yes, very enjoyable game so far! Looks like another ingenious setup, completely kcd-worthy! :goodjob:

I ended up settling 1S. As it had a 3-hammer tile first ring I think the turn walking was compensated building the EXP worker and it's a slightly better spot being riverside, more river tiles in general and freeing up a bit the northern deer for a helper city. Early on I met a Viking workboat and saw something of an island in the inland sea, which made me suspect enough to decide to get my second city on the coast. It went on to get an exploring workboat out soon, followed by a galley and then a rather great lighthouse. Quite happy with that, as I ended up settling 4 very food rich cities on the western half of Ragnar's island. Colonial expenses are a bit of a pain, but manageable with all the cottageable land and the GLH.

I haven't bothered much with Toku, he acts his usual backwards self. Two barb cities also sprang up in between us, hope to get them soon and then take care of Toku when I start needing his land. Met SB over the mountains and the Babylonians at the western part of Ragnar's island.

12 cities, 10 workers, just revolted to bureau and HR, currency also in. Apart from the Oracle wonders seem to go slow.

kcd_swede likes this.
  4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I have had a blast with this map. Since I was told "Not to trust the mapmaker." I played very cautious. Thanks alot for a wonderful adventure! :)

I moved the warrior SE and saw corn, I thought about settling on the sheep PH for a 8 turn worker. And when I finally dared to move the settler SE I saw another PH close by the rivers. I thought "I could climb that one, that would give me alot of extra vision and information, and if I see nothing I like I can always go to the sheep next turn.
    When I saw the beautiful rivers and the riverside sheep I was content with settling there. Missing out on the corn felt bad but what can you do? :)

I wanted early pottery for financial cottages and exp granary so I went Agri->Wheel->Pottery.
    Seeing the marble close by gave me some crazy ideas such as going for hinduism early. I would probably make a play for the oracle and ToAR some time anyway. But I was told not to trust the mapmaker so I decided to play it safe. :)

T6 borderpop showed me the chain of peaks and I started to get an idea of how the map would look, at that time I thought I and 5 other AIs would be isolated and would get marauded by vikings.

I was VERY afraid to lose my first warrior scout, since I was desperate to know what was going on in this map. Got terrified at T14 when I saw a bear.
    When I encountered Toku at t15 I realized my isolation hypothesis was wrong.
    I had seen ivory earlier so now I started to think about construction.

At T19 I see ragnars workboat and Ragnar himself in burocracy!! WIth him being financial that would be a huge handicap.
    A few turns later I see ice meeting my southern coast. Some sort of contraption leading longboats with berserkers to my coast perhaps? :)
    I almost panic, and thoughts of oracling feud for the longbows arise. :D

At T24 I build my fourth warrior after the initial worker, I wanted to get as much information of this map as possible. I take nothing for granted. :)

I had EPs in Ragnar to see what he was up to, but he is putting alot on me as well, I'm thinking that he must have a killer capital. I swap back to toku instead to at least get some info.
    After the four warriors I go Worker->Settler->Settler->Worker and I start to spread out. I make a play for Oracle CoL and land that at T63.
    Was still very paranoid about ragnar (Still is abit at 1AD, haven't scouted his island completly yet) and went for monarchy early to get into HR to befriend him.

I have gifted a crap city to toku and gotten OB with him.
    At 1AD I'm in full expansion mode on ragnars island, 1 turn away from civil service, 9 cities and two settlers en route, 11 workers. ToAR and GLib in capital and a confu shrine.
    I haven't made any use of either confu nor caste system so that play was probably a mistake.

5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler Overview West :
    1AD_OverviewWest.jpg

Spoiler Overview East :
    1AD_OverviewEast.jpg

Spoiler Overview South :
    1AD_OverviewSouth.jpg

Spoiler Capital :
    1AD_Capital.jpg

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

One of my settlers right now is en route to settle a city in Tokus face east of his empire, and gift that to Ragnar. To get Ragnar happy with me and irritated about Toku. ;)

7. kcd_swede

8. WastinTime

WastinTime Chieftain Supporter

I took a slighty (very) different route than most this game and it's made for a very fun and addictive game!
    I was big on exploring. I parked a warrior on the silver. Just staring across the lake to see who I could meet. (as you all know Native america)
    Then I did a new tactic and it turned out great: When I found Toku's archer. I just followed it around. If a barb attacked, the archer defended. So I safely mapped the entire north.
    I also have 2 sentry chariots. The extra visibility range is nice. I can see another AI culture that no one has mentioned, so I'll keep it to myself.

Like krikav, I gifted a city to Toku and got OB and mapped his land.
    :devil: but I had a much more evil purpose for the gift city....
    I moved a stack of ~20 elepults/misc units into the Toku culture, closed borders, and teleported over the wall to Sitting Bull. So much fun!!! I've almost completely wiped out SB at 1AD.

As we've all learned, there are other ways around this map than teleporting, but not as much fun. Also, I was thinking maybe ocean would be blocking the way to the Vikings.
    Just because you see a workboat doesn't mean an evil mapmaker didn't give Ragnar a free one on our side of the ocean.

I have a fresh stack of 20+ units about to wipe out Toku.
    My Native America stack is already moving on to Babylon.
    I believe I can get Ragnar as a peace vassal (at Friendly)

9. kcd_swede

Awesome! I was thinking "scotty, beam me up!" when I made the map. There are a couple other seldom-used tactics I hope to see, but cannot divulge yet. I think you might earn an Innovation Award if nothing else. :cooool::c5science: