1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 163 - Kublai Khan - Final Spoiler - Game finished

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Nov 13, 2018.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 163 - Kublai Khan

Don't tell me you were still using keshiks after 1AD :mischief: What happened?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 163 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I did quite horrible in this one. :(
    Totally novice when it comes to playing on difficulties lower than immortal, so all of my timings are totally off.
    I had a very hard time taking the game seriously and putting myself to it.
    Did play ok in the opening up untill I rolled over Hammurabi, after that I paid embarassing little attention and found myself just mashing buttons.
    Lost probably 10 keshiks throwing them upon a fortified formation promoted spearman in a walled hill city. Not because it was a good idea, but because I just wanted the game to end.
    Very sorry that I did not give the map the attention that it deserved, will try to do better in the Justantin one!

3. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

One feature in civ4 is a slightly annoying when playing HoF/Gauntlet/BotM. When vassaling last AI there is this 50-50 coin toss for either conquest or domination. Wanted domination in my belt, but getting to 64% land took forever. Vassaled or killed all AI but one. 1330AD got 64,1%. Not sure how that % is calculated, is it total land tiles on map or just land tiles owned by players? Should have approached it different if it is the latter.

4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

After 1ad I just hunkered down and did my best to whip missionaries/temples/cathedrals(in 3 cities) and as assortment of other culture buildings. All the AI were amazingly backward and only very, very rarely offered any techs in trade. I wonder whored it all the way, with my NE city being a poor choice but I got a culture VC in 1510ad

@Major_Tom, the land calculation is purely % of land tiles on map, but you get 50% from vassals. So if you own 10, a vassal owns 4.... your count is 12. (10 + 1/2 of 4).

I am sure if I am wrong, others will post.

5. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I got a diplo victory in 1370AD. Last minute scare when instead of Mehmed suddenly Justinian popped up as the opponent, when I had worked Justinian up to friendly. Luckily I still had my vassal Boudica who was totally pissed with me voting for me, which gave me just enough votes for the win. :)

Thanks for the game.

6. PsyMar

PsyMar Chieftain

I KO'd hatshepsut in BC (she had I think one unit defending, i had an axeman). Took her nicely sized city. Built two more between my existing 3 and hers, for a total of 6.

Then I got caught (still in BC I think) by Boudica with an underwhelming military on my end, lost one of the bridge cities to egypt, and had to gift the other to get peace -- even after switching to Isabella's religion and bringing her in as a war ally. (Boudica was a different religion but she's already warring me so...)

Later, Isabella proposed an Apostolic Palace resolution to give me my peace treaty city back. I rebuilt, launched another war, got my other city back... and wasn't paying close enough attention to the rest of the field, where Boudica was headed towards my capital. I was too slow and lost my capital around 1470 AD, at which point I quit playing and will not continue as I'd probably have to give up ANOTHER city to get peace and then I'd be in last place.

Any tips (other than "build more military, noob") for Justinian on Emperor when I've never beaten Prince?

7. Major Tom

Major Tom Immortal Supporter

Not sure, but paying attention to diplomacy and easy/juicy targets is beneficial on Emperor and above. Took Hammurabi first. Juicy and no diplo problems. Boudica is though, keep her calm (Boudi-Hatty was pleased towards each other?), do not tempt Boudica with to many shared borders. Check out 'Know your enemy thread in Strategy articles section.

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Just finished up this game today after starting it what seems like months ago. Finished with a Conquest victory which is what I set out from the start. Biggest issue was just size of the map. I felt I could have finished quite a bit sooner than I did, probably very much in the BC timeframe instead of early ADs. But to make matters worse I made a huge goof. I thought I had eliminated Ottos and sent the W stack of Keshiks E toward Boudica to meet up for the sandwich attack on her to finish the game (everyone else dead at this point). It wasn't until ..lol...I killed Boudi that I'm like..whoa..whatcha doin' still breathin' Mehmed?

The bright side is the several turn delay on moving units back to the hidden Otto city in the fog in the far west, as it gave me time to finish chopping out Hanging Gardens for a big boost to score - relatively speaking. But ..ha..Mehmed had just been sitting there for ages with a 1 pop city with one archer.

I can't remember all the details now of the early game, but it appears I settled 1NE on the sugar while teching toward Keshiks in some roundabout way. Settled a couple of nearby cities - 1 just W of Krak and another just south. Once Keshiks up I started pumping them and eliminated Justy and Hambone fairly quickly.

At this point, I had to recover a bit while units healed. Needed to scout some to find Izzy's and Mehmed's locations so I could plan attacks. Meanwhile used Oracle on Currency, which is by far the best thing for early conquest, although I was just a couple of turns from being able to Oracle Civil Service, the money was just far more important. I was struggling a bit to complete Code of Laws simply due to lack of gold and it was around 600BC, so I did not want to get ninja'd by Izzy.

Hammy stack zipped up diagonally and Izzy went down in like 2 turns. I had sent a scout Keshik through Hatty's land before attacking Izzy, and he stumbled on the edge of Izzy's borders with one newish city with one archer. I gamble on the attack then and the keshik won. Razed that city and a new Spanish city on her south end, but started to keep cities after that since I could keep afloat now with no problems. Madrid had stonehenge and a shrine - I chopped HG there.

That stack swept through Egypt like butter.

Meanwhile, the W stack setup to take Mehmed. First he had a city on his SE side with copper so I took it first and razed it. After some bad rolls on Istanbul I had to make peace and regroup. Boudi had IW and her darn GWs at this point. Lost a ton of keshiks taking her hill cap but I had a ton of keshiks to lose at this point..ha.

The Mehmed goof probably lost me about 6 turns or so, but netted me completing Hanging Gardens.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    krikav likes this.