1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 168 - Pericles - Final Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Feb 5, 2019.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 168 - Pericles .. Final Spoiler

Did you win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 168 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

krikav likes this.
  2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I did NOT win. :)
    For a time, I thought this was a iso map.
    Techpath was abit funky, AH->Mining->Writing, I figured that getting a cheap library up quick would be very beneficial.
    Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

Spoiler :

Pyramids went crazy early at 2040BC. Earliest I have ever seen.
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

I played too long in one turnset, and started doing all kinds of sloppy mistakes.
    This was incredibly annoying:
    Spoiler :

I had a trimerine which was one turn from completion in this city. And then I moved a galley into the city to keep it safe from the barb galley.
    The city didn't have any garrison though, since I was trying to save on upkeep.
    That barb galley was not empty!!
    1-2 turns later, those archers are upgraded to barb longbows. >_<
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

Spoiler :

I was teching to lib steel, and things where going kind of smashing.
    Only problem I see here is that Memhed has Vassaled Sitting Bull and is getting quite big.
    Then was hovering over the hammers in the capital and realize that I forgot to switch to burocracy 25 turns ago. :)
    I call it a day.
    Noteworthy is that Charly and Bismark are plotting, but since Charly doesn't plot at pleased I feel safe. Both of them also dislike Memhed, so hopefully they will declare on him and balance things out abit!
    Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Spoiler :

The next day I realize that it's kind of stupid to go for steel when you are lacking your own iron. Fortunatly Charly is willing to trade, and I have both copper and ivory that he wants so I don't have to pay an astronomical price either.
    So I go on with the plan to lib steel, which was no big problem. These fellas are teching very slowly.
    Could do a first attack on his island and get the iron for myself, as the island will be lightly defended and his SOD won't be able to reach me.
    I feel like the plan is good, and everything is running smoothly. Then...

Well... there goes my iron plans.
    I lose a city on my island, and the second one will be gone in a turn or so.
    Knights will soon roam my mainland, and I don't even have iron for pikes.
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG

Bismark also decides to join in on the fun.
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

RRRaskolnikov likes this.
  3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

Continuing with my Adventurer save...

I built the Colossus and had a settler on the way to claim the Iron on the island to the west, when Bismarck beat me to it. I began building my forces to take that city from Bismarck, when he handed that island over to Hatty as his new vassal. So, in 700, I declared war on both of them. I conquered Egypt in 940, then made peace with Germany for a tech in 1080. Meanwhile, I had earned the circumnavigation bonus and made contact with the other AI. Sitting Bull and Mehmed fought two wars, until Mehmed capitulated to Sitting Bull in 1530.

Meanwhile, I resumed the war with Germany in 1320, accepting Bismarck's capitulation in 1470. I immediately declared war on Charlemagne, making him a vassal in 1590.

War with Sitting Bull and Mehmet began in 1615. The Ottoman Empire was conquered in 1660. Sitting Bull resisted until capitulating in 1700, giving me a victory in 1705. Not bad, but I'm sure others will have beaten that mark by centuries, while playing at the Deity level.

krikav likes this.
  4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Nice getting that island @MarleysGh0st, I missed out on the iron to my detriment.
    No competition in dates from me, I'm going for an ambulance this time! :)

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Ach, I threw in the towel around 1200AD :(

Mehmed was going out of control, and just capped Charlie, despite not taking any new city, nor many units from what I could see. Maybe just tipped over a threshold of some type. Mehmed already had 12 cities when I met him, but thankfully the war with Sitting Bull ended without a cap (they took a city each).

I never got onto the island early on, because I kept at 5 cities to have a go with Elepults against Bismarck. Sadly he (and everybody else) got Longbows just before I was going to declare on him. Did anyway, though. It was a long and brutal war, hard to ship units across, but I eventually got him. But more sand in the machinery. He had founded 3-4 cities on the island I hadn't gone to, and as he was getting weaker on the main continent, he decided to create a vassal -- which means it's impossible to vassal him. Stupit git didn't want to break free either. So I had to wipe him out. Tried to snag cities from Brennus on the island too, and a few of them went back-and-forth several times. Didn't have enough units to hold them properly. Galleys were going down left, right and centre to caravels.

During the Bismarck-Brennus war, Mehmed declared on Charlie. I wanted to tag along and steal cities, but he didn't really get much headway. Eventually Mehmed bombed away the castle and took a city, but not much else seemed to happen. Charlie countered, maybe somewhat successfully (took back the city one or twice, but lost it in the same turn). Think they then just lost units fighting each other in the border area.

Oh well. At least I got Berlin during the war, which had Pyramids, Great Lighthouse, MoM and the Great Wall. Meant I could sort-of keep track. Err, not lose money at 0% science, I mean. For a while. Then I lost money. But hey ho, I got to Lib first at least. Couldn't get anything useful, so picked Printing Press. And I ended up with 14 cities.

At that point Charlie capped to Mehmed, and Mehmed had FOUR times my military power, with grenadiers, knights and able to tech Steel. While I was slow-teching Gunpowder (and missing loads of stuff, including Guilds and Engineering) on the last turn of the Golden Age, so would probably go back to losing money at 0% after that.

I tried, but it just wasn't to be. Deity is rough.

RRRaskolnikov and krikav like this.
  6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Mehmed turned into a monster in my game too, and had SB as vassal.
    I lost a unguarded city to a barbarian amfibious attack (archers from galley), didn't have my own iron and then got dogpiled by Charly (only source of trade iron)+Bismark before I had built cannons.
    GG! :D

Jovan Kukic likes this.
  7. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

As I said in the first spoilers, my first attempt did not go well. So I tried tried tried tried again. The 2nd attempt was pretty good--faster expansion and more aggressive fog busting to keep barb galleys a little more under control so I could get some foreign trade routes going, but I think I that there was a healthy dose of luck in that. I was pretty far behind in tech, but beelined to Steel before anyone else except Germany (and nobody else even had Chem). The big problem was lack of iron for cannon because I just missed out on settling that spot on the NW island before Germany. Charly was willing to trade his extra iron but at exorbitant cost. I was busy building trebs so I could do the trade, quickly upgrade them, and then DoW, but a few turns before my clever ploy could come to fruition (1420 AD), he DoWed me with his vassal and also got Mehmed to join in.

Attempt #3 was much like #1 in that I was again barred from foreign trade routes by barbs. I don't remember much about #4. In #5 I followed RRRask's move of founding an early academy, which was a good move. In previous games I'd been following my usual strategy of saving Gt Sci's for big bulbs for trade bait to sort of keep up with the AIs, but I was getting so far behind that I couldn't bulb anything they didn't already have. Somehow I also managed to settle by the iron--Germany was unusally small in that game--and crammed in 16 cities by 1180. Things were going quite well, but Charly again DoW'd me and captured a nice city that I immediately took back. My fragile confidence was too shattered to continue, however.

Thanks for the game! I enjoyed the challenge, but it was too much.

8. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Hum I have to submit an unfinished game here (1000 AD) :mischief:... no time to finish before the deadline.

Furthermore, I just realized something important that will delay my attack. I teched steel a few turns earlier, traded for astro, and was ready to build a stack when:

Spoiler :

I realize one needs iron to build cannons :hammer2: :smoke: I said I was rusty but this :hide:

Here is the trade situation when I stopped

Spoiler :

I might complete the game later for the sake of it. (good production, room for 3 more cities peacefully, including the 2 barb ones SW of our land)

Thank you for the game DynamicSpirit! Now on to read the other spoilers :scan:

Cheers,
    Ras

9. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

@krikav: what was your reasoning for not SIP?

it's kind of funny we (and Xcalibrator) both went for cannons while lacking iron :lol: Mehmet is ready to trade some for about 130gpt in my save :crazyeye:

@MarleysGh0st: good job winning this :thumbsup:

10. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

For those frustrated at being one tile short of getting circumnavigation, the trick is to put a mounted unit with Flanking/Sentry )+1 visibility) on a galley so you can bridge the gap to the east.

Regarding that wee problem of no iron, my recollection is that it's not cricket to make a resource trade and then cancel it before the 10 turns are up by pillaging or otherwise removing one the resources you provided in trade, yes? But if you declare war on the tradee, which will cancel the trade, that's OK? (Didn't matter here because I was only faced with this moral dilemma in my 2nd attempt. And for the record, I refrained from sin ;)

11. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

This was a fun map.

Game Summary:
    Spoiler :
    Spoiler :
    Got a win, but 1 day past the deadline means it doesn't count! :hammer2:

The map seemed uniquely situated to not need Mining or Bronze Working due to 3 elephants, so I just went straight for Writing at the start.
    Spent a few turns wondering if I made a mistake teching Math and then bulbing Alpha before getting Bronze Working, but then I managed to meet 2AI with an early Work Boat sailing right past my clams. :whew:
    Spoiler :

Battled barb Galleys for a while.
    Spoiler :

Patiently waited to get Feudalism while avoiding Meditation, Civil Service, and Theology so I could bulb Astro.
    Bribed Charlemagne into Vassalage with Optics so I could reach Friendly later.
    The +1 vision from Optics applied to my southeastern city Knossos got my circumnavigation bonus with just an exploration workboat exploring Sitting Bull. :)
    Spoiler :

Managed to keep trading with Bismarck way past "We fear you are becoming too advanced" by whipping population until Bismarck and I were in the bottom half of the scoreboard.
    Whenever I went up into 2nd place in score Bismarck cut me off.
    Eventually I wanted his monopoly tech Engineering, but +9 diplo just wasn't enough.
    So I (Liberated) a barb city (Phoenician) to Germany for +1.5 dilpo to reach Friendly and trade for Engineering. :D
    Spoiler :

Barbs' fur city put a heroic defense by killing a Phalanx and full hp War Elephant.
    Kept me from getting marble, fur, silver, and a Worker a good 8 turns! :mad:
    Spoiler :

Bulbed Astro 1 time, then traded for Civil Service and bulbed Education twice.
    Had to slow tech Astro the rest of the way done.
    Eventually, I needed Iron more than Bismarck as a trading partner.
    The 2 island cities nearby both had an amazing +11:food: surplus with a bit of work.
    Spoiler :

A miracle spread of Buddhism to one of my mainland cities let me adopt Buddhism to get Charlemagne back to Friendly.
    He dropped to Pleased when I DoW'd Germany, and I would have needed a few extra turns with the shared civic Vassalage building to reach Friendly.
    After getting Nationalism it was insane drafting every 3 turns until my cities screamed in agony.
    Spoiler :

Not enough AI to play games with gifting cities away and recapturing with war to clear anger, so built a whole lot of Barracks and mainly Odeons to manage unhappiness.
    Any Cease Fire would have reset my war success back to 0, so all wars in my game lasted until capitulation.
    Need 40 war success before the AI will consider land/pop and power ratios to capitulate.

Castles take a good 4 turns to bombard down with 8 siege units with plentiful promotions.
    After capitulating Germany and capturing Pyramids, I realized I lost my Friendly trade relations with Charlemagne when I got Bismarck as a vassal. :mad:
    So I bribed Germany to switch to Buddhism and got my monopoly tech trades back.
    Pretty rare that an AI gets Friendly with the player and their vassal, but Charlemagne goes up to +7 on shared religion so it is possible with him if all 3 have the same religion.
    Spoiler :

Next, I invaded Charlemagne by myself.
    And got creamed!

Ran the numbers, and I decided to suicide attack that castled city and raze it to the ground.
    The retreating borders would allow 1/3rd of my army to escape.
    Spoiler :

Augsberg was indeed destroyed, but the borders were way larger than I expected.
    My retreating army was almost entirely annihilated!
    At least I was the first to Liberalism by a minor miracle. (Free Chemistry)
    Looks like Charlemagne was slowed in his teching by war and going for the free Great Merchant given by Economics instead of the free tech from Liberalism.

Spent 10 turns attacking the south and building a shiny new 2nd army while Charlemagne lost 1 army to Germany's city and captured a 2nd German city with a naval invasion.
    Round 2 went MUCH better. :D
    Spoiler :

After getting Military Tradition, the final AI was Ottomans with Sitting Bull as a 2 city vassal.
    5 Frigates were sent into pound all coastal defenses to 0.
    Multiple Great Merchants were born during Golden Age + Caste + Pacifism to fuel the tech drive to Cannons while every city overseas got a Courthouse.

A giant horde of Cannons, Cuirassiers, Muskets, and Macement blew into the Ottomans like a hot knife through butter.
    The slow stuff raided the north coast on a fleet of 7 Galleons.
    30+ mounted units attacked from the Ottomans' east.
    My mainland attacked Sitting Bull from his west with a few more Galleons.
    Spoiler :

And then the Ottomans got Rifles and progress ground to a sudden halt! :cry:
    Those work...... really well against Cuirassiers.
    Spoiler :

I just kept whipping 10 of them every other turn and dying like flies taking coastal cities in the south.
    Cannons and even more pushed for the capital.
    Spoiler :

And eventually, even with Rifles, the Ottomans gave up. :salute:
    Spoiler :

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  12. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Oh mai gawd. O_O

krikav likes this.
  13. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Nice game and write up! Your early game is really interesting and unusual (at least for me)... avoiding BW for bulbing alpha early. Same with bulbing astro.

Myself I was a bit cursed with Charlie getting the double bananas/gems site and no buddhism spread (I waited like 5000 years lol)... I lacked a bit of whip power early (and balls maybe) to take on Bismarck's iron like you did with that medieval stack.

14. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Chieftain

When I saw game results, I realized I should describe my game :)
    I built cities on SW island before AI did it, but Germans took the best spot on northern island. I saw AI galleys around islands, even their settlers landed, but too late for them. SW island was good, so I kept it for myself. Northern island was weaker, with more cities, and more colonial maintenance costs, so I gave independence to them, creating Justinian. During war with Bismarck I swiftly took their city on northern island, which was weakened by fighting with my island vassal. I vassalized Bismarck, then Charlemagne, and Mehmed. I conquered Sitting Bull. I rarely bribe AI to DoW at each other, but few turns before i DoWed Ottomans, I bribed them with tech to attack Sitting Bull (Bull wasn't open for bribe). I know it is harder to vassalize AI which has vassals, so I hoped that Bull will not capitulate to him too early (Bull's personality resists capitulation more than most of other leaders). I backstabbed Mehmed with tanks, infantry and aircraft. I hoped that their aircraft would move to west, near Bull, but they kept some fighters in their cities. I was able to use bombers unpunished during the turn Ottomans upgraded their fighters. But later, their jet fighters killed most of my fighters. Ottomans lost some cities and capitulated. Then I easily conquered Sitting Bull. I discovered Modern Armor, but war was over. Because Domination was the only available victory condition, I needed to wait few turns for conquered city borders to expand, while using army to prevent city revolts.