1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 173 - Monty - Final Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Apr 5, 2019.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 173 - Monty, Monarch .. Final Spoiler

Did you win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 173 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. Anatoly

Anatoly Chieftain

So, I tried for more agressive rexing and ended up with 4 cities, hah xD startet war with leader (Isabella) and Joao backstabbed me, so I negotiated peace with Is and took 2 Joao´s cities - big mistake! Because everybody else were Budhist (except Sitting Bull and Hyuna ´cause I converted them) and Hyuna built AP about 10 turns before me at time he was Budhist:wallbash: I had no budhist city but Joao had...and I took it:run: 2 turns later were election for religious leader between Huyuna and Isabelle...quess what happened:badcomp:
    Spoiler :

Nevermind, next time I´ll be more careful...but please, no more arboria map:bowdown:

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

In 250, I declared war on Joao. I captured two of his cities, including Lisbon, before making peace for Alphabet. That let me trade for several techs in the few turns, which greatly reduced my tech deficit. And Joao had built the Pyramids in Lisbon! Switching to Representation greatly helped my science output.

Lincoln builds the AP and is elected to lead it. I suspect that's going to be a headache for my war plans, but I attack Joao again in 1020. I capture one of his cities. Now he has one left, when I hear the war horn sound. And Lincoln is proposing a vote to end the war against Isabella!? Okay, the game won't let me check my advisors before casting my vote, but if she's attacked me, I want to end that diversion until I've finished off Joao. I vote for peace...and then I can check the news and see that the reason she entered the war was because Joao bent the knee to her. The war--the entire war--is ended by a unanimous vote. :mad:

I wait for the peace treaty to expire, then attack Isabella/Joao in 1210. I capture Joao's last city in 1240, then capture one of Isabella's cities. I expect Lincoln to call another "end the war" vote, which would cause a lot of unhappiness if I defied it. But instead, Lincoln tries for a diplomatic victory, and I've already got enough votes to block that. :smug:

I capture Madrid. Again, Lincoln wastes a vote trying for his own victory. I capture Seville, then accept Isabella's vassalage in 1440.

I declare war on Lincoln in 1500. After capturing two cities, Lincoln also capitulates in 1545. By now, I'm running the AP, but I have so many votes of my own that I can't vote myself into victory.

I'm just shy of the Domination victory threshold when I go to war against Sitting Bull. I capture one of his cities. He stubbornly refuses to bend the knee, so it's Domination instead of Conquest for me, in 1570.

4. jerza

jerza Chieftain

I tried to play quickly (both turnwise and in real time) and made so many strategic and tactical mistakes that I won't even try to name them... declared war on the wrong people at the wrong time, refused peace when I should have etc etc.
    Got stuck in an endless chariot war with the Inca (until 1200 AD :undecide:), then for some reason I attacked Joao (Isabella joined on his side), captured Evora and Sevilla, lost both cities, recaptured Evora, then declared war on Sitting Bull, took two of his cities and things looked more or less ok around 1500 AD, but instead of making peace with SB, I tried to finish him (even though he was technologically well ahead of me and had about the same power) and completely messed that up, so he took his two cities back, badly damaged my army and in the end, I gave up in 1730 AD when he attacked me again and I had no answer to his cavaleries... looking at the 1500 AD screenshots, I can't believe I messed up so bad....
    Spoiler 1500 AD :

Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0054.JPG

5. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Went for domination and finished around 1000 AD. I didn't really optimize for speed because I'm used to balancing conquest and tech rate for a space game. I finished the game as tech leader (6 techs ahead of Lincoln) which can't be even remotely optimal, I should probably have gone all out for war much earlier.

A few details of the wars. Declared on Joao shortly after 1 AD swinging my veteran army from Incan lands towards Lagos in the NE while attacking Lisbon with a brand new army out of my HE production city. Units are still mainly axe/pult. After Joao is gone my armies turn south. Veteran army groups east and center attack Madrid and Seville and shortly after two new armies in the west attack Sitting Bull. A mixed axe/pult/HA army sails to Powerty Point while a pure HA army attacks the northernmost city of Mesa Verde. At this point I have so many HA's that speed is more important than avoiding losses. Sitting Bull is eliminated and Izzy is left with one city. Settling a filler city plus building culture in a few others brings the Aztec civilization above 66% land.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Handed in my game. Don't recall what the situation was like, but I hadn't attacked anybody yet. I'm a bit disgusted by the recent discussions so can't be bothered trying to finish this.

7. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Played my 3rd and final session about an hour ago:
    Spoiler :
    So just like my pre-game discussion my early game plan was to warrior rush a neighbor. For that reason I decided to settle on the marble for the production boost. My opening tech path was AH, TW (Hut), WRT (Hut), Math!! (Hut!!, although to be fair, my GS would be finished a few turns later, which would have bulbed it anyways), Alpha (Min, Agr, Fish, Archery, Med, Bw), Masonry (TGW 1500?/Mids 1320), Priest, CoL, CS (Oracle 1320), HBR (1040 Bc?), Monarchy, Fued (625 Bc). I got much fail gold from Oracle and Stonehenge

Capital build order was 1x warrior, barracks, 6x warrior, Library x2 scientist (2320s?), worker, worker (both workers while running 1 scientist), research until CoL finished, Settler to take horses, stable, starting at 925 Bc, non stop 1t HAs till around 600 Bc, then 1 settler. I had 3 workers split in 2 groups pre-roading forest, and then a little micro right as the Settler finished to improve deer, horse, corn, then onto 3 workers per tile 1t chopping forest.

2nd city was Portugal's Capital and the build order was: 1x warrior, monument, worker, Settler (fish/gold/silver), research until 1480 and then switch to Mids for completion, barracks, research 1t, then 5 1t HAs (pre-chops). The 2nd and 3rd city immediately started producing 1t HAs as soon as HBR finished.

3rd city was Portugals 2nd and final city, the stone city, right next to Spain (many worker steals from her!!). Build order: Oracle, TGW, Barracks, research (pre-chops), then 4 1t HAs, one 2t HA, and then around 4 more straggler HAs.

At size 3 my horse city would que up 2 settlers, which were assisted by 1 worker chopping. The Mids city would que and build 1 settler. The Fish/Gold/Silver city, at size 4 would que and chop 2 settlers. Spain would que up and chop 3 settlers with the help of 4 workers. Finally, the Capital would make the 9th settler around 625.

https://ibb.co/JFcKtkQ

So up to 950 AD I had built 3 workers and stole 7 (1 Jao, and 6 from Spain). In the 950 screen shot I was already in the process of running 4 non stop merchants in the Capital which would give me a 97% GM to be used for trade mission gold later. So I had 5 HAs heading to the Spain Capital and 3 HAs to its 2nd city. I took both cities with zero losses and captured 3 more workers.

I had sent the first 2 HAs from the my Capital and around 700 Bc invaded America with 14 HAs (with good upgrades!), split up in a group of 9 (Washingtons Capital), and 5 for his 2nd biggest city at which point he Capitulated.

I invaded Inca around 650 Bc with 8 HAs and took his Capital and 2nd largest city, at which point he Capitulated. Likewise, I also used the remainder of my HAs from the America war to attack SB and capture one of his cities. At this point all my settlers had been settled and running artist and I was very close to domination, like 65%. So I then gifted back the 2 cities to Inca and won a domination victory. Actually, if I had gifted those 2 cities 1t early I would have had a 500 Bc victory instead.

https://ibb.co/9NLXVL6
    edit: I'm still a little confused about which turn the final save should be. I saved one game after the initial pop-up victory arrived, that is to say, after all the screens and history I clicked "play one more turn" and immediately saved. Just in case that's incorrect I also hit ENTER after that, and made a save.

cheers.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

500BC is smoking fast!

A bit jealous of the 3 free techs, but 7 Warriors at the start is certainly the way to go about it.

The warrior rush was Combat 1 warriors with the 2nd promo cover I'd guess against Joao.
    Would have been a shame if he had been hilltop like Inca and spain.

Nice work Cseanny. :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  9. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Thanks Kaitzilla. I'm not a big fan of events/huts because it makes game parity impossible, something which should be paramount for competitions like GOTM (HoF is different). I will say though, this map script in general, due to forest covering nearly every tile, makes the game much easier. Commerce really isn't an issue if you have marble or stone around because fail gold is so powerful. Either way, fun game!

10. Berolsaurus

Berolsaurus Chieftain

Well things started out well with me crushing my closest neighbor and having 7 cities. Then I made the same blunder I made last time and found my economy in ruins and my army abandoned me in droves :help:

As a result I quickly became tech backwards and spent the rest of the game crawling my way back up the tech tree and trying to not die by accepting the constant demands of the ai for free stuff! :twitch:

I finally got back in line with tech around the modern age and was planning to build an army to try and stop the ai, two of them having just finished apollo program. As I switched all my cities to war units I noticed the turn text indicated that Lincoln had just gotten New York to legendary culture! I checked the victory screen and found out that was his second city! Even worse the third city was 2 turns away! With no army to stop him I was forced to watch him win a cultural victory as the rest of the ai sat back and watched him win :gripe:

It was a fun one but I really need to get better at having a better economy after I win my first war.

11. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

The save to submit is immediately after hitting the "play one more turn" button.

12. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

@Kaitzilla Thank you ;). I'm in the habit of always replaying my games/turns to maximize the map potential, so my problem for this BOTM was not my final save, it was reloading! The past few HoF games I've submitted have been rejected due to reloading too =/. Honestly, I do it out of habit. I did have around 21/22 HoF games accepted in the past, SOOOOO, I just need to remember to stop replaying from Apha, or from 1st war, etc.

I'm currently playing the Sury #175 (shooting for 400BC), and have been keen not to reload!!!! So hopefully I'll get an actual submission and score next time. Cheers and thanks for the help.

Last edited: May 12, 2019