1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 175 Sury - First Spoiler 1 AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, May 4, 2019.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

BOTM 175: Suryavarman, Noble ... First Spoiler

Stop!
    If you are participating in BOTM 175, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

Having Fun?
    Find any huts?
    Have any events?
    Did you connect all the strategic resources?
    Meet all the other civs?
    Think you will be to able to manage a victory?
    How many cities?
    Any wars?

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Have had a thundering migraine all day (for several days really), so won't write much, but figured I'd make a small note of the progress.

It's been fun. Was hard to decide where to move scouts and settlers, and I ended up settling both cities half-blind, but think they turned out allright. Don't think I've ever won Lib before 1AD before either, so that was cool. Could obviously have gone much deeper, but meh. Fun for the novelty of it.

This is how I ended up settling the first two cities. Started a worker in each. Screw workerstealing.
    Spoiler :

Shame about the lack of food in the capital, but what can you do.. :lol:

Got some huts. Two more scouts and some gold, and got free wheel at some point. Actually found a hut really late way out east and crossed my fingers for a good technology, but the scout just got some experience.

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

A large continent for scouts to run around in, without fear of wild animals and barbs? Great fun!

Overall, the huts gave me two more scouts, Masonry, 86 gold, and a couple of maps. I grabbed at least one of those huts just before an AI scout did.

No events of note, but I have met all the AI and obtained all the resources I need. All has been peaceful, and by 1 AD I have 9 cities. I'm planning to try a cuir rush. (If it can be done on Deity, it's gotta be a piece of cake at Noble difficulty, right?) I've also built wonders (perhaps too many) that I think will help with that: the Oracle, Pyramids, Mausoleum, and Great Library. I started a Golden Age in 225 BC, and I'm now running Representation, Bureaucracy, Caste System, and Pacifism as I try to generate some Great Merchants.

I'm not up to Lib, yet, but I do have Education.

4. Anatoly

Anatoly Chieftain

Finally game for me...I must say that these settings are great! More techs for AI against early rush but not long-term, so even casual player (like me:smoke:) can have a succesfull and not too-easy game. Heh, I´m really confused who is who...everyone has similar names and look
    I settled almost like Pangaea except north city (1 tile east). My intention was to finally do rexing (mostly I end up with 3-5 cities by 1 AD), so this time I have 8 cities :)
    Spoiler :

I also tried Oracle and finished it 1040 BC with civil service...meantime Toku behave like Toku and was wandering around with some units...because of no barbarians, I didn´t build enough units so in 225 BC he attacked me:badcomp: luckily, he did some strange things and eventually attacked city with 50% defense without cats:goodjob: lost one unit against his seven. Probably I´ll try science victory:) but maybe I´ll change my mind after seeing Pangaea´s BC liberty:crazyeye:

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  5. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Things went well for me, over the top well. First time I have managed to win before 1AD.
    I settled my capital in the same spot as Pangeas southern city, my northern city went 1SW of pangeas after wandering around for a few turns.
    Did get 3 or 4 huts, can't remember. First one was a scout, second I got mystisism from and 1 or 2 just gave me cash. Two huts where stolen from me right before I was going to grab them.
    I'll write more in the "game submitted" thread.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

That's a very early spaceship! :D

7. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Chieftain

With these friendly settings (no barbs, easy diff and 2 settlers to start with) I decided to go for a friendly victory => culture
    It's been literally years ago that I went for culture. My best best result then was something like 1600AD. I'm hoping 1200AD, or 1000AD maybe this time.

Write up to 1AD:

My first intention was to settle both cities south along the river.
    So I moved the southern scout on the cow and further SE. This appeared a dead end , so change of plan required.
    Northern scout moved NW and NE, discovers gold and river/rice, together with the hill pig good enough to settle. Southern Settler moves on the silk, discovers corn, decided to have my capital on this spot (more river). Means my northern settler has to wait a turn before settling, which I used to settle 1 tile further north => 1SW of rice (and get another pig in the process).
    Unfortunately almost no profit from exp bonus on the first 2 workers.

From huts I got gold twice, masonry and 5XP. I managed to miss the nearest jungle hut at first and arrived a turn too late later on.
    My scouts also managed to.. (map spoilerish)
    Spoiler :

Circumnavigate ±1400BC. You would almost think they're ridiculously good swimmers.
    I also would have expected at least 1 AI to be isolated by the way, to tease the conquerors among us abit.:crazyeye:

From events I've gotten all oil revealed (and some less memorable stuff)

I gradually expanded to 10 cities around 900BC and 1 more ±400BC, with which I intend to march to the end.
    I gambled too much on Oracle=>Civil Service and missed it by 3 turns (1320BC completed). Other than that it's going fine. I got 4 reli's to work with. After the Music tech line I reached Lib=>Nationalism exactly 1AD. Not sure what date this headed for though.

8. jerza

jerza Chieftain

Settled in the same places as Pangaea, got Aplha in t55, currency t73, circumnavigated (by map trading) in t105, declared war on Japan t106, took one city and now (t115) I'm aiming for Kyoto.

Fun - yes, Huts - yes (mostly just cash though), Events - nothing worth mentioning (I mean nothing I remember :D), Resoures - yes, All other Civs - yes, Victory - hopefully :), Cities - 8 (7 mine + 1 Japanese), Wars - only Japan

Looking at Anatoly's game, I definitely should have grabbed more space NE. And I should have been able to get my HAs moving much sooner... Anyway, we'll see what the rest of the game brings :)

Spoiler 1AD :

Civ4ScreenShot0029.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0028.JPG

9. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

Edit: I got Masonry and between 120-150 gold from the huts. Went straight in all directions and then cleared my territory with additional scouts built.

I went for space in my game and the basic principle was that I need to research everything as AI is incompetent on this level. Therefore I opted for a bit later push to avoid tanking my economy and research in the beginning. On Higher difficulties you can trade your way up, on lower you just lose turns.

Decided to go for a cuir rush. But first Needed to take some wonders with me. Capturing Pyramids nearby would have been much better for a space date, but it so dicey on the Fractal map as AIs can be really far and Noble AIs are just too slow and you can't afford to wait for them. Therefore I built them. And ToA, GLib, Oracle, HG, Parthenon, MoM. Then I Libbed MT and attacked with cuirs around 1AD. Don't really have many screenies up to this point but share what I have.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0424.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0425.JPG
    When you run Rep scientists...
    Civ4ScreenShot0426.JPG

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    krikav likes this.
  10. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

:goodjob: @krikav.
    I hope some others will try space. @Pangaea, @Anatoly

krikav likes this.