1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 180: Napoleon, Deity - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Jul 24, 2019.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 180: Napoleon, Deity - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 180 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. jerza

jerza Chieftain

Did you win?
    No, a cultural loss to the Dutch (by some 25-30 turns) :)

At around 400 AD it was clear, that no "normal" victory is feasible for me, so I made a desperate attempt for a cultural victory
    I got all the techs (and religions spread) at 1300 AD

Spoiler 1290 AD :

Civ4ScreenShot0033.JPG

I was able to hold the cultural slider at 80% most of the time, but the Dutch still got there much more quickly (1775 AD / t265), it would take me some 25-30 more turns

Spoiler 1775 AD :

Civ4ScreenShot0081.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0087.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0088.JPG

The funny thing is this was only my second game at deity and the two were probably the most peaceful games I ever played :lol: (zero combat experience points (what's the right abbreviation here? :crazyeye:) back in BOTM 174 and 2 combat experience points in this one)

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Chieftain

I tried the Cuir rush strategy. I used a GS for a golden age in 50 AD, switching to Caste System and Pacifism. Ultimately, this produced four GMs which I sent to the Netherlands on trade missions (after some early scouting that identified where the most profitable city to cash in was). While researching the necessary techs, I spent a few turns in a defensive pact with Cyrus, who had Cuirs before me. Alas, permanent alliances weren't enabled in this game, were they?

By the time I was finally able to upgrade my Horse Archers to Cuirs (only 25 of them, not nearly enough!) my chosen target, WK, already had muskets and cannon. (Willem already has rifles!) I attacked in 1180 and was able to take two of his cities, at the cost of most of my stack. Not too long after I made peace, WK peace-vassaled to Willem. Augustus also peace-vassaled, a short time later. So much for the military option. And by 1260, Willem had completed the Apollo Program!

I saw no way of making any progress, so I retired in 1340.

I think I need to watch a few more Deity games on YouTube before trying this again.

4. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Chieftain

BOTM 180 won by domination in 1800AD, interesting coincidence in numbers :)
    Korea influenced my game since the beginning, and unintentionally helped me to win. Korea settled a city near pigs about the place where I planned to settle, so I settled near pigs anyway. Culture pig war sometimes resulted in famine and significant loss of population of my pig city, because it was its main source of food. Ottomans defeated and vassalized Rome, so they became the largest empire with largest number of units. Due to different religion, they were technologically backwards. Korean infantry garrisons managed to defend against tens of older Ottoman units. When Ottoman offensive stacks were annihilated, I decided to enter the war. Weakened Ottomans were easy target that moment, but they would probably be dangerous if let alone to advance. I destroyed Romans, Ottoman vassals, and conquered more Ottoman cities that Korea. Ottomans didn't wanted to become my vassals, but became Korean vassals after I conquered most of their empire.
    Netherlands was close to cultural victory, and had defensive pact with Persia. I wasn't sure if I could win that war against both of them, so I hesitated to attack until better prepared. Lucky for me, Netherlands attacked Korea, so no more defensive pact :) Then I attacked Netherlands and took some of their best cities, including main cultural centers, preventing their cultural victory. After I vassalized them, I did the same with Persia, Korea, Ottomans and Germans. Greeks were maybe the only one who attacked me once before, but I never attacked them, because I already won by domination.
    Interesting detail was that my favourite corporations were founded in Pyongyang :crazyeye: , contrary to reality. That made Pyongyang war objective, but Korea was ready to capitulate quite fast, after loss of pig city and many units, so I gave up with my secondary objective, Pyongyang, because fast vassalizing was my primary objective. Bad side of AI having corporation center is that they get much ca$h instead of you. Good side was that they spread corporations to my cities on their own cost :)