1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 181: Julius the Peaceful, Noble - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Aug 18, 2019.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 181: Julius the Peaceful, Noble - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 181 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

This was to be my triumphant return to Civ IV :dance:[party]:dance:

But, alas, a random game crash got the better of me. :shake::aargh:
    I should've changed the autosave interval to 1, but I guess I just like living dangerously.

FWIW, I did play a completely peaceful game (with the exception of killing annoying Privateers). Ended up with 17 cities powered by +14:food: from Sid's Sushi.
    Built the UN, but my game was rusty. Missed the first ballot Diplo Victory by 12 votes (out of roughly 1000). Missed the second ballot by 3 votes! On the third ballot, my opponent changed and I thought I was screwed, but it actually swung things in my favor. Diplo Victory in 1795 AD.

3. jerza

jerza Chieftain

Got a late (AD 1898) diplo victory. I finished the game some 3 weeks ago, so I have already forgotten the details :confused:, but basically I went the easy way - given the lack of resources I waited for Gunpowder and then vassaled one AI after another

Spoiler AD 1898 :

Civ4ScreenShot0104.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

that was my plan too! but alas, i suck after such a long hiatus. resigned when i realized i couldn't win the desire culture victory.

Boy my cIV is rusty!

5. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

This was my first Civ4 game in about 6 months, and it felt quite rusty.

Errrm, I wasn't as peaceful as I normally am... but at Noble the AI are just begging to be taken over!

Killed off Ethiopia, then Germans followed by Russians and Khmer at the same time.... wow Noble is so easy!

Anyway, stopped short of Domination and then made the run for space. I went the State Property route, though I am not sure it was the right way to go. At the end I switched and founded Sushi & Mining for stupid bonuses (41fpt & 28hpt)

6. Berolsaurus

Berolsaurus Chieftain

Finally got some free time and I just barely got my game done by the deadline! :D

I quickly settled my entire island and one or two small ones nearby. I had a few wars that I was able to fend off, though it was difficult since Venus decided to not give us any military resources! Having no iron really made it hard to keep an up to date navy and I suffered greatly in the mid game.

Knowing that I simply didn't have the military might with my limited resources I rolled out a plan of simply convincing everyone that our culture was far superior and they should simply join us without a fight. Soon the popular phrase "Who wouldn't want to be Roman?" reached far and wide and began to have sway over our enemies.

As we neared a cultural victory the goddess Venus decided to troll us by letting this happen:

Really? We finally get a military resource in 1946! Guess I can't complain too much at least I did get one spot of oil once it was revealed.

Anyways, we continued on and finally won over the world in 1995! :king:

I had fun not going to war at all, only played defensive when the ai decided to attack me. I did feel rather comfortable most of the game and was confident I was going to win. Though the mid game had me worried since my lack of iron really made for a poor navy.

7. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

Having already settled where the oil on the continent was...was...annoying...

I am also a bit rusty. No, really rusty. Whatever.
    Decided to stay true to the name and not declare war. Was surely on to winning via space or so, but don't have enough time to finish.
    Guess, some things could have been done quicker and development could have been done quicker...

No one attacked me, so I don't think I will have problems winning it at least when I continue with this.

8. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

What a peaceful map!
    Not a single AI declared war the whole game.

I ran out of time and only made it to 820AD on the Deity save and submitted it anyway.
    Could probably have gotten Cuirassiers by 1000AD if I could trade for Nationalism, but Ethiopia started building Taj so it was unlikely.

Dropping an army 1S1E of Vladivostok was the perfect spot to attack Russia. (Can have Iron in 940AD)
    Vlad's defenses went to 0% after 2 bombards, and it pulled 13 soldiers from Moscow into a kill zone once Russia recaptured it from 1 defender.
    After wiping out Russia's army in one attack, I sailed my fleet though the city and easily captured Moscow. (The 1st of 2 spies revolted the 100% defenses)
    Note that Moscow has The Great Lighthouse which takes effect immediately once the city is captured. :thumbsup:
    Spoiler :

Stupid Ethiopia wanted Bronze + 5 more resources for Iron around 300AD. :cry:
    I traded them all to get Iron for 5 turns, and then I pillaged the silver mine to halt the resource trade forcefully.

Got some good random events.
    The +2 health one at the start, +3 diplo with Stalin which got me to Friendly, and the sports league which gives a free golden age if the Statue of Zues is in player control.

The exploration choices at the start of the game were excellent.
    Lot of trade route opportunities for anyone who could unfog a coastline not controlled by a barb city.
    Barb galleys were a bit of a menace, but not too bad.
    A fun map.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019