[BTS] BOTM 185: Sitting Bull, Monarch - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 185: Sitting Bull, Monarch - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD How did you fare on this unedited map?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 185, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

A slow start for me. By 1 AD, I have four cities. I've founded Confucianism and built the Kong Miao, but my neighbors are all Hindu.

One random event gave me a -1 relation with Joao, but another gave me +1 with all the AI.

As the warrior moved NE to discover the flood plains, I was quite happy to settle 1N. With the deserts north and south and Washington due east, I decided to grab some space by putting my second city at the rice/sugar/elephant/flood plain site (also iron later) to the south east, somewhat in Washington's face. At 1AD I had 8 cities, including one barbarian. I built the Pyramids and also the Great Lighthouse, which was a bit less useful than I thought it would be when I started constructing it, but still a nice-to-have.

At 1AD I had an army of elepults about ready to invade America. Washington is being harrassed by Joao and lost a city already, should make sure to get the more interesting cities before the Portuguese will. Isabella is just at three cities busy spreading her religions. Madrid looks quite juicy too. ;)

Playing the challenger save.

Settled at the PH for a quicker start. Kind of regretting that I didn't settle 1N. :)
Mining->BW->TW->Pot->Writing.

Was sloppy with fogbusting and had to whip two dog soldiers early on to not get killed by barbs.
Annoyed that Isabella took that gold/copper site from me, my settler was there one turn to late.

Very nice floodplain stuffed land and kind of happy that I got 6 decent cities.

At T114 I have just reached Music, and to my dismay I wasn't first... Must have missed the notification because Homer was born in a distant land at least 300 years ago. >_<
Tried to build pyramids in Mound City, which I thought was a impossiblity, but I managed to snag them at T97, a very late date. :)

Empire overview:

Engaging a culture-war to gain access of the iron. Was planning to go for cuirs, but I think everyone has elefants so might be wiser to go for some rifle/cannon stuff?
Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

Tech situation:

If I sell aestethics to Isabella I'll get her to friendly. Then I could probably trade drama+litt for CoL or theology which I could in turn trade with the others.
Very good techbrokering situation.
Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG

I also went for Challenger/Deity save--doubtful I'll beat the AI, but maybe with luck... Settled 1 N, then north with the gold and copper, #3 south with the horses, #4 NW of the rice (which I lost briefly to American culture, but seems secure now), #5 up north with the clams and sharing the copper (with plans to make this my Moai city). Two more cities were captured from barbs down south, on the iron, and 2W of the silk. I'm planning to capture another barb city (which will likely autoraze b/c it's 1 pop) and grab silver, leaving room for one more to get fish and whales. Current pop is 36 with 7 cities. America unfortunately beat me to the nice floodplains with elephants, etc. Everyone is Jewish except for the French, who are agnostic. I'm last with 647 in score vs the leading Americans with 1229. One civ is unknown, and whoever they are, they've been scarfing up nearly all the wonders. Portugal got Stonehenge, Mids to Spain, Shwedy and Parthenon to France. I'm making 106 bpt at 55% breakeven, with an academy. Tech situation is growing worse. My foolproof strategy (<--note sarcasm) is to hope I can snipe a couple cities from somebody while they're exhausted from war with somebody else.

Let's see here... had to open an old save just to see where exactly I was at 1 AD. It brought back painful memories. :(

I had gone to the elephant/rice location along the river for my 2nd city and north to the gold/copper for my 3rd. From there, I thought I could HA rush America. I took New York around 400 BC, and then suffered some highly improbable losses where I didn't even damage his archer in Washington. :mad: That was the turning point for the worst. Only those 4 cities at 1 AD, while Joao has 8.

Top Bottom