1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 192: Tokugawa, Deity - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, May 18, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 192: Tokugawa, Deity - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD. Did you suffer a brutal and humiliating defeat? :mischief:

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 192 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Yes and that was on the Adventurer save!!

I built a decent stack of Axes but by the time we attacked the AIs were up to 7/8 cities - amazing what a difference their starting units make!

I gave up after taking two Shaka cities but seeing my stack wiped out :cringe:

3. nocho

nocho Deity

I got daggered by Shaka in 1960BC and had no chance of defending my second city at the gems. The capital barely survived, but threw the towel anyway. Those were 15 most glorious minutes!

4. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

Oh, good for you that you even tried to attack Shaka - given the AIs' starting unit advantage it never occurred to me, combined with Shaka's aggressiveness etc.

5. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

I already reported on my Deity failure in the first spoiler.

As for my "for fun" Adventurer save, I finally won a Domination Victory in 1898. Beyond the problem of having Shaka as our only starting neighbor, this was not an easy map for military campaigns! A long continent stretching out in different directions, with enemies that couldn't be vassaled and with islands for them to take refuge in made for very long wars. I didn't even begin to build a navy until it was time to invade the other continent.

Fine_Distinction likes this.
  6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Fail. At 1AD I had 6 cities with 38 population and was last of 6 in score. Shaka beat me to the chokepoint for settling and attacked in 200 AD. I fended that off and captured his chokepoint and one city farther west, but had to give up the latter for peace. I attacked him around 1100 when I got trebs, but he'd built quite a force of knights, maces, and muskets in the meantime and my stack wasn't up to the job so I retired 1190. On to BOTM 193!

7. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

I did get the chokepoint city but it did not help me much, just prolonged suffering (war with Shaka). I eventually even bribed Shaka into making peace with me (lasting >10 turns), but had 0 chances of winning, so retired at 1180, having 4 cities (Shaka took one of mine and I gave two to him for peace). I settled 6 cities and conquered barbarian one, was always lowest score (although Saladin had only one more city when I was retiring), teching so badly that at the end AIs started to pity me and offer free techs! :D:D:D:D:D Never happened to me before.

I will post more details and hope for feedback how I could have play it better, although it seems that even a great play is not likely to lead a victory (other than AP?).

"Did you suffer a brutal and humiliating defeat? "

Not really, retired earlier :D:D:D:D:D

8. CowboyCub

CowboyCub Chieftain

First time posting, was a fun challenge (I took the adventure save) never figured out how to get my settings right so I can't submit, but finally got a diplo victory around 1870, thought Prince would be easy, but man the AI teched fast for that difficulty level, can't even imagine what deity would have been like. Thanks for the fun game.

9. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

Congrats, bro, first win reported so far :goodjob: Deity was brutal, trust me :lol:

Please also tell us more how you dealt with Shaka?

10. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

settings can be tough to figure out, but there is a lot of help on this forum - and people willing to assist you - and once it is done, you can play for years. If you submit a game, you are not only eligible for medals and awards, you can also replay your game against any player of your choice, which is really cool, my favorite feature :goodjob:.

11. CowboyCub

CowboyCub Chieftain

I got lucky with Shaka, he gave me a demand to stop trading with Hammarabi (who everybody hated), I agreed and got the ten turn peace treaty, he started plotting during that time and declared on Hammarabi, yes he marched his whole army across the continent, after the ten turns I back stabbed and was able to wipe out the army he brought by using a trick I picked up from Lains videos, captured a city and evacuated it and then smashed his reinforcements with cats.

The biggest mistake was forgetting about the AP and having a resolution to stop the war coming up right before I attacked his capital, I felt I couldn't defy it as that religion was in everyone of my cities. Luckily during the stoppage he declared on Hammarabi! What an idiot, again marching his whole army off. After that I kept an eye on the vote and made sure to cease fire before a resolution could be introduced.

12. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

Oh, very interesting, he never asked me that :( I met 4 AIs, do not remember if Hammie was one of them. Somebody asked me to declare war on Sury and I agreed, since Sury was far away and asking AI was closer. Maybe a mistake, nobody liked me better because of it and Sury was completely furious, would not make peace for >1000 years, if I remember even tried to march his units towards me even though he was at another end of the world :crazyeye::eek: I wonder if all deity Ais are that vicious?

What exactly it the Lain's trick? I know that is good to fight AI with units not in a city, since AIs tend to use mostly CR promotions. Is that was the reason you evacuated the city? And how did you attack Shaka - in the field or in the re-captured city? If you remember which Lain's video would be also great :)

13. CowboyCub

CowboyCub Chieftain

I captured the choke point city and shaka came at it with a decent army with 6 or 7 siege units, rather than defend against it, I evacuated the city so that I could hit him with city raider siege units. I might have been able to fend him off, but that much siege would have wrecked my army defending.

I think it might have been the tokugawa game where lain did something similar, I've learned a lot of how to do combat from those videos from lain.

14. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

And so I managed to assemble some 22 units to invade Shaka, building units non stop and continuing to do so. I killed my economy and Shaka makes peace with Sury. :wallbash:
    I proceeded anyway, have taken the 2 only flatland cities Shaka has, but his endless stream of units is ridiculous. I am winning battles at 4:1 ratio but I am slowly dying.:deadhorse: Police state Shaka with, now 9 cities (after I have taken 2) is too much. I see that there is no chance for me to take hillside Ulundi (with some Longbows as well), Shaka is 1T away from Maces. My spy reveals another small SoD coming from Shaka (I thought I killed enough). I quit after taking his 2 cities. Shaka and I are 2 bottom civs in terms of everything.

I wish we had our own land to develop while holding the Shaka back. With so little land, we are forced into a breakout. The amount of luck needed is considerable. Even if you manage to take Shaka out, there is Sury as a neigbour who is also a PITA. I should have looked at map generator to see how much land the costume continents give on standard. I thought that the AIs would be small, I almost fell out of my chair when my scout and WB never managed to finally circle the continent. :lol:

15. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Warlord

You did very well, but I think this is the main problem. We have little land in comparison with AIs and are not getting any breaks (e.g. Shaka having no metals). Shaka building Pyramids is unusual, right? But him spamming units in Police State most of the time just adds insult to injury :cry: