[BTS] BOTM 198: Hammurabi, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 198: Hammurabi, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements

If you are participating in BOTM 198 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Religious victory in 1580 AD.

Kept things small just 3 cities, usual trick of building AP in a religion you tightly control was the plan but it went slightly awry. The other continent had no religion so Christianity spread like wildfire over there. I even had an opponent in the AP election, unheard of lol!!

Myself, Justinian and Sitting Bull were a Buddhist bloc and they both voted for me reliably. Two things slowed me down - Monte lost his only Christian city to Roosevelt so I had to build and gift another one to him; the spreading of Christianity to the other continent meant I needed more votes so I had to spread it to big cities in the Byzantine and Native American empires and pray they didn't convert!

Finally sneaked over the line with 141 votes (140 required) on turn 226.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

I eliminated Sitting Bull in 150 AD. I attacked Monty next, bribing Roosevelt to join me in the war. (Those two were worst enemies with each other, so I was surprised they hadn't started fighting sooner.) Monty's eight cities were all mine by 1120. By this point, my caravels had also found the other continent. The circumnavigation bonus would come in 1230.

Also in 1230, I attacked Justinian. Once again, I bribed Roosevelt to be my ally. I also adopted Roosevelt's Judaism, hoping to get him to peace vassal to me. That hadn't happened yet, when Justinian capitulated in 1290, after having lost four cities to me.

I didn't want to launch an naval invasion while Roosevelt remained independent, so I declared war on him in 1340. I captured New York and Washington (with five wonders, including the AP) and he bent the knee in 1440.

Tokugawa was my next target. I started this war in 1515, which turned out to be too soon, since I still didn't have enough galleons to ferry across my entire army (which at this point included cuiraissiers). I captured and held Tokyo, but I wasn't able to hold Nagoya. More research brought cannons, rifles and cavalry online, before Tokugawa capitulated in 1555.

I'd follow up with an attack on Charlemagne in 1560. I took Florence, then discovered Charlemagne had his army stationed nearby. He foolishly moved that army into the open to attack one of Tokugawa's border cities. My forces (many of them freshly upgraded) wiped out that army, and Charlemagne immediately threw in the towel. I liberated a couple cities, to ensure that I was under the domination land limit, and a conquest victory was mine in 1575.

Should have followed my own advice instead of being a moron (I wrote and deleted far worse words).

Warrior happened to walk north, spotted Sitting Bull, one of the most annoying neighbours in the world. Deliberated back and forth and back and forth what to do -- whether to go all in or not. Saw the crap land around us, with deserts and jungle, and his nice floodplains and clams (didn't see the fish until I invaded -- jawdrop capital) and decided to try. Went Hunting-Archery after BW, chopped out a worker, and chopped a bunch of forests into 6 bowmen after a barracks. Erroneously thought they could pick anti-archery right away, but sadly not. But saw he went slavery early, so figured there might be dog soldiers but not archers. Was right actually -- until he whipped out an archer too. That bugger had stupid odds and outright killed three or four of my guys. Better odds against dog soldiers (their 4-strenght was a reason I went for this, coupled with bowmen's uniqueness), but they still ate us up. Killed the archer and funnily enough the warrior luckily killed one dog soldier (with anti-melee promo). But of course, next turn he whipped out another archer, and it was impossible to get through. Otherwise we may have made it, as even with the promotion-healing, the last dog soldier was pretty messed up.

Of course I could have continued. I stole a worker from him and had two cities, with another settler soon out, but I just couldn't be arsed after a kick in the nuts like that :cry:

In hindsight (apart from NOT doing this idiocy at all), I should have waited longer. Maybe he would have built a settler soon (some other civs had two cities) and I could have caught him with just one guy +1 whipped in there. We could have gotten through then, I think. It did look like a killer city after all, so would have been nice to get it that early.
Spoiler :
BOTM 198 failure.jpg

From 1AD I consolidated and expanded the empire further. Doubted for a good while what VC to go for but finally settled on Diplo. The Native Americans and Aztecs were long gone thanks to my fearsome warriors, next on the list were those other Americans. As knights became available used those to add them to the empire. Meanwhile worked my relations up to friendly with Justinian by taking buddhism and his beloved theocracy. Conveniently found out that on the other continent HRE got the much bigger empire than Japan, also significantly bigger than Justinian's, so it was clear HRE would be the opponent. Didn't really need to bother about the Japanese, but anyway took the veteran knights army over to the other continent and vassaled Japan after conquering the capital and 1 other city. Then cruised ahead to Mass Media, libbing Radio on the way. UN was built in a turn in Washington with help of a GE and ample lumberjacks. So then the vote came up and Diplo was not available. [pissed] It seemed that I just had passed the 75% threshhold with 387 out of 512 votes, 3 too many, partly because of discovering biology just a few turns before. Never checked that, it didn't cross my mind that with 3 alive opponents that could be an issue. :hammer2: So I had to wait for the next vote 6 turns or so later, while gifting back Kyoto to Tokugawa and clicking avoid growth in nearly all my cities. The next vote did work out allright and I got the win in 1430AD.

Once again I tried a religious victory. I expanded, prepared an attack against Sitting Bull but renounced, focusing on the religious victory. I had to research Divine Right to get my AP religion (the other religions were taken). I could build the AP and spread the religion to all the civs. Then, after many votes just under the limit, I noticed with horror that my future score was high enough but colored in red! That's how I discovered the 75% rule. So that's why they need vassals, I thought. It was too late for that, I was too late in tech.

So I improvized a cultural victory. It was quite slow and a bit concerning. Everybody was nice (or a vassal of a nice person). Roosevelt even signed a defensive pact with me. The capital was approaching legendary status when suddenly I got an unexpected religious victory: Roosevelt had voted for me! It was 1946 AD.

Reading Noble Zarkon it seems that it isn't necessary to have the AP religion at the moment of the vote (the AP religion is probably needed only until the victory vote is triggered [Edit: not exactly; see below]). Interesting.

Last edited:
Reading Noble Zarkon it seems that it isn't necessary to have the AP religion at the moment of the vote (the AP religion is probably needed only until the victory vote is triggered). Interesting.
If you build the AP then you will always be eligible for the vote regardless of whether your state religion is the AP one or not. Generally I will only have the AP religion as my state religion for the final 5 turns of building it, the rest of the game I'm running the religion that will make the most people happy with me!

Last edited:
My bowapult worked just fine. Conquered my hemisphere with bowmen and catapults. (not in record setting time I'm sure.)

My peace vassal plan (to win domination without Astro) would have worked also. I got Japan to where they would have peace vassaled if I wasn't already so close to the dom limit.
But since I happened to have 2 GS's to bulb Astro, I just sailed over with 3 settlers and got domination.

It was fun to use the bowmen for the first time. Thanks for the scenario!

Well, the only thing remarkable about this one was that I got it in on time. Between a vacation and a ridiculous week of work when I got back, I had 4 days left to get from 1 enemy dead and 1 vassaled to victory. Fortunately, Sitting Bull, Justinian, Toku, and Charlie all capitulated pretty easily. I didn't even have to capture their capitals.

Put it down as a subpar effort and move on to the next one.

Top Bottom