1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 203: Wang Kon, Monarch - First Spoiler - 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Nov 25, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 203: Wang Kon, Monarch - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. How did you find the raging barbs? Did you build the great wall or use some other strategy to protect yourself? And how was epic?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 203, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

No takers? :sad:

This has turned out very differently than expected. All those barbs and all that land is rough. Much combat. And I didn't tech Archery for the first 120 turns or something like that :crazyeye: (after Math)

Actually opened with Fishing->BW because I saw a lot of forests around. When copper was revealed I was a happy snowman. Took longer than expected before barbs started streaming in, but oh boy... when they first came, they came in droves!! Tried my best to fogbust the land, but it's simply too big. Still haven't uncovered the whole lot of it, but surely must be close to the eastern edge now. I built the Great Lighthouse, which I'm quite happy about. Looked like I'd have a decent lot of coastal cities, and I thought we were totally isolated. We are, but in T130 Stalin dropped by wit ha workboat, so contact is possible. Sadly no trade routes with him yet, and he gets 3 :commerce: ones with us. An explore workboat and one of the galleys were sunk by barbs, but eventually I managed to get out an exploring galley. In 10AD, the stopping point, we actually made contact with somebody -- but not Stalin.

Game feels pretty slow, and expansion has been slow too, but the others appear to be doing worse. We're on top of pretty much all demographics, or close enough. 7 cities so far. Unexpected given the starting screenshot, but we've yet not settled all those nice iceplains. Simply made more sense to go to the east where I found some resources we needed, and it also helped to fogbust some of the land. Think the next cities now will go north, though, and it's definitely about high time to cottage that nice river.

Did make a very, very late attempt at the Great Wall, but ofc we lost it. Got 50-ish failgold. However, we're still alive, and in the last 10-ish turns the barbs have stopped coming so maybe the worst is over now. Maybe the founded a city over in the east somewhere.

Nobody has Alpha yet, and I've kept postponing getting it myself. Not much I can get from Stalin anyway. Probably only Mono, Monarchy (which he doesn't even have yet), and Alpha itself. Maybe the new guy will get it soon? I hope so.

Some screenshots.
    Spoiler :
    Most of the 5 workers have run out of stuff to do, so they started to road a bit outside our borders.

BOTM 203-T174 empire overview.jpg

Funnily enough the capital doesn't have a granary yet. Been too busy with other stuff, plus some settlers. Not lacking in food either, and for a long time the happy cap was low.

BOTM 203-T174 capital.jpg

Been a hectic game.. So many barbs. Going by the stats (ratio) we have done well, but I was quite upset when a barb warrior killed a fully fortified Shock Axe in a forested hill. Okay, he was damaged from an axe combat in the same turn, but still. Just the thought of that happening, and the overwhelming combat odds, was not a pretty sight. Was on 10 XP too (but hadn't been able to upgrade yet). Later we got a Woodie3, however, so the HE is unlocked now.

BOTM 203-T174 kills.jpg

Fitting that we are isolated with a raging virus out to get us. 2020 has been bad :(

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Sorry, I've been too busy playing to post a report.

And at 10 AD, you're doing far better than I am. Only 4 cities for me, and someone beat me to the GLH. The 197 failgold was nice, but I'd much rather have had the wonder. I haven't met any of the AI, although I haven't made any real attempt to find them. When barb galleys started threatening my fishing boats, I built two galleys, but I've been keeping them close to home.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Ouch, that must have been rough to take :( When was the GLH built? I built it in 1325BC, and it was actually the first wonder erected in the world. Stonehenge was built somewhere 200 years later.

It has been a fun and challenging game so far. Am seeing two people (you included) have completed the game already >> https://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/submissionlist.php. Looks like it will be another mammoth game, but hopefully I'll be able to complete both this one and BOTM 201 before leaving for Xmas in roughly two weeks. If not, I can't make it, as won't have access to a computer (at least with Civ4 on it) during the holidays. As you can see from the screenshots, I'm a very slow player with almost 12 hours by 1AD already. :turtle:

5. MirrorGuard

MirrorGuard Prince

I gave up.
    Spoiler :
    Civ4ScreenShot0021.JPG

6. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Once again, you were way ahead of me. In my game, it was built in 365 BC, when I was 6 turns away from completing it.

7. nocho

nocho Deity

I built the Great Wall right after the first settler and when it was clear that there were no closeby neighbours to help keep the barbs in check. Given the reports so far quite happy I did. After that also went for the GLH which was built around 950BC IIRC. By 10AD only had met Huyana and Justinian, the latter was willing to trade religious techs up to priesthood, so while I didn't plan for it went for the Oracle to get metal casting, both for Colossus (halfway built) and for triremes as barb galleys started to be an annoyance from the south east. I'm at 9 cities, including two at the icey floodplains up north. Not sure what VC to go for, the land is pretty massive indeed!

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Sounds like an excellent start, @nocho. I regret not trying for the Great Wall, but I assumed the wrong things about the map from the start. Thought it was a typical isolation game when nobody came by for yonks, so after finding capital copper I figured it would be easy enough to fogbust the continent, and the Great Wall would even be a waste when the conquering started. Then I met an AI very far away, and only received 2 :commerce: trade routes, and the penny dropped. The Great Wall would have been very, very beneficial.

9. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

A relaxed (but not brilliant) builder's game here.
    As I hate having to deal with raging barbs, I went for the GW and got it @ 2400BC.
    However, I tried but missed Oracle (Inca, 1100BC) and GLH (Russia, 800BC), which were considerable setbacks to my research pace. I got only as far as Currency & CoL, Alpha will be up in a couple turns.
    Expanded leisurely to 8 cities.
    Given the insane amount of land, I'll most likely go for Space or Diplo, but don't expect a good finish date.

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Sounds like widely varying AI wonder dates, giving big advantages to the lucky ones. I built the great wall first, got beaten to the great lighthouse. The oracle was built before I was able to get alphabet in trade. Eight cities at the turn of the Millennium. I have met the three above mentioned AIs. One annoying Barb city is blocking my trade routes.

11. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Playing the challenger save sounds like insanity, right?

Or maybe not. Looking at the screenshot of the starting location, I speculated that the capital could be blocked off from barbs with a few warriors on either side (@WastinTime refreshed my memory about this mechanic in his description of the Cronos game) so I decided to give the deity save a go.

I started out by moving the settler 1S where he saw the clam. It looked like the capital would be easier to block off from down there, so I moved to the plains hill 2S and settled. Clearly not as strong a capital as in-place but it turned out that from here the entire southern peninsula was fog busted so the only requirement to block out the barbs were building two warriors and placing them on the northern border. This worked like a charm and not a single barb came my way before I finished the GW as my 6th build (after building two warriors, a worker and two work boats). First city was to the north to get the two crab resources, iceplains, and a lot of forests that were chopped into the GL. My scouting workboat made contact with Huayna, Justinian and Stalin but unfortunately I only enjoyed trade routes very briefly because barb cities started spawning along the coast. At 10 AD I have 6 cities (Yes, the suboptimal capital and investment in wonders slowed expansion) and a settler headed for an island located where the continent bends south. The plan is to settle and capture along the coast to regain trade. Like @nocho I have settled two iceplain cities on the north coast to get an early start on cottaging. I have a feeling that a good economy is going to be required to keep up with the deity AI's. Going to war with any of them seems unrealistic due to the distances and I already have Huyana and Justinian pleased and Stalin is likely to come around later. Might go for a diplo VC but i'll take any victory on this level.

12. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

So far I had a game where barbs weren't raging at all. After reading the above I checked my settings and yes, it's not Noble. it's Monarch with raging barbs. And no I didn't build GW and I did just some modest fogbusting. The only trouble I got was 1 early galley and just beofre 1AD I stumbled upon a pack. They're still not moving to my cities. I assume Stalin is on the other side of this landmass and gets their fury.

Needless to say I had all the space to expand to 8 cities, built GLH, just finished MC and will start on Colossus.
    Met Justy and Huayana a few turns ago. Finally some foreign TR. One of them traded me Priesthood. The Oracle is still available. Will try to snatch it if possible.
    I don't know what victory to aim for yet.