[BTS] BOTM 205: Joe Biden, Noble - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 27, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 205: Joe Biden, Noble - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD
    Did you win?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 205 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

In the AD, I was slightly less peaceful. Okay, I went for conquest...

I completed the Colossus and Pyramids. Then, since nobody liked Hammurabi, I made him my first target. War was declared in 740. By 1060, I had captured three cities, including Babylon, and Hammy capitulated. Along the way, I completed the Taj Mahal, and Babylon gave me three more wonders, including the GLH.

In 1110, I declared war on Justinian. I had to capture eight cities, including Constantinople, before he bent the knee in 1380. And in the meantime, I built the Hanging Gardens and Notre Dame.

War against Saladin began in 1450. He capitulated in 1530, after losing six cities. And by this time, I've founded Mining, Inc.

I attack Mehmed in 1545. He loses four cities and capitulates in 1585.

Monty is my next target, in 1605. During this war, I still haven't bothered to research Astronomy, but I realize that Combustion will let me build destroyers and transports, regardless! As the Aztec war continues (and I complete the Pentagon), I declare war on Shaka, too, to speed up the endgame. Shaka and Monty both capitulate in 1650. I give back a couple cities to keep under the domination land limit, and I win a conquest victory in 1655.

I know I got far too carried away with my wonder spamming, and I should have stopped my research and put everything into military production for an earlier victory. But this was a fun and easy game -- just right for Christmas! :)

3. nocho

nocho Deity

Even though I got Engineering by 1AD, I didn't feel like conquering much given the shape of the map and the lack of horses, so changed course and went for culture. I had founded Judaism (as it was still open at the time) and Confu myself in the BCs and had Justinian found Christianity in a barb city he had captured just next to me and had had a Christ spread. Founded Tao and Islam as well so that gave me 5 religions to work with. Meanwhile assembled an army to dislodge stone from Shaka and while I was at it also captured his capital which had the Pyramids. For the rest I remained peaceful, although fairly late in the game my jewish brother Monty decided to attack me, he was fended off but had quite a sizeable stack for Noble. Earlier he had captured that Christian holy city from Justinian, so got that from him. Despite wonderspamming a bit more, I somehow forgot to build Sistine until quite late. Got the victory in 1585AD.

4. Lawrence

Lawrence Warlord

Quick game. Built Oracle for CS and GLH. Pyramids were built at 500BC by Mehmed which was quite early for Noble. I thought I was teching too fast to expand, since Universities and Oxford got in the way and then once Oxford's done I feel the game is already almost over.. Stopped at 9 cities, I really don't know if it's the right approach since there're still plenty of good land out there, but I feel that there're really not many techs to go for in a Diplo victory. Went for GL + National Epic in the capital instead, with a great persons route and got 5 of them by 1000AD: GM, GSx3 + GE for UN.

I didn't use religions for the fear of pissing AI off, so not even Pacifism (again, feels by that time that the game's almost over).

Education 25AD
    Compass 75AD
    Machinery 175AD
    Optics 250AD
    Music 325AD (spent 3 turns to do Music since nobody would sell me Calendar at the time.. Later I was able to trade for Calendar)
    Printing Press 475AD
    Philosophy 540AD
    Astronomy 600AD (GS)
    Scientific Method 740AD
    Physics 900AD
    Electricity 1020AD (GS from Physics)
    Liberalism + Radio 1050AD
    Mass Media 1090AD (3rd GS started a GA, GA from Music researched it)

UN Built 1150AD (forgetting to pre-chop the UN lost me a few turns, but realistically there weren't enough forests at this time so maybe only 2-3 turns lost)

Switched to Vassalage and Theocracy at 1080AD to please Saladin, Mehmed and Justinian (although in the end Justinian was the other UN candidate). Declared war on Babylon at 1080AD and dragged all the AIs to the war for bonus diplo. It's a strange war with Airships, Maces and Catapults against Bowmen and HAs.

Diplo victory 1230AD when I've taken 4 Babylon cities and they were ready to capitulate long ago (but I didn't take because of diplo).

Hoping Joe could be more diplomatic than his predecessor!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  5. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

After first missing a 25% shot at a GE I actually got one (80% shot). I didn't plan for a space victory but with the GE in hand I went for it. One thing I find difficult with the space game is to balance warfare and research. How much do you invest when at the same time your cities are lacking infrastructure and workers? I did what I usually do and built a single stack that should be big enough to do the job - perhaps with a few reinforcements, depending on the war luck. The war against Monty started around 500 AD. A stack of 7 maces and 7 pults moved on Tlatelolco and then onto Tenochtitlan. War with one stack is slow, but everything went as planned and Monty was eliminated. Next war against the Zulu started around 1100 AD. My veteran army of 14 maces and 3 pults was reinforced with 9 cuirs and a couple of cannons. In between the wars I had continued settling cities on the western most hub grabbing some spots with lots of land and forests that would be good for building space parts and one of them also served as a forest preserve city with the national park wonder. The Zulu war also went smooth but slow until Shaka was down to one city and an AP resolution brought an end to hostilities. The last war against Saladin started around 1400 AD. My veteran maces and cuirs were supplemented with a bunch of cannons, two infantry and an amphibious strike force of two galleons, one frigate and five marines. It ended with Saladins capitulation a little after 1500 AD but turned out to have little influence on the game since there was no time to bring the Arab cities up to speed. Apollo Program was only 6 turns away. With 56 cities it's not very complicated to build the space parts. Just rush laboratories in 16 cities and let them build one part each. All parts were built within 10 turns and the space ship arrived at Alpha Centauri in 1625 AD.

Since this was a very generous map I expect some early space dates. The critical thing is to get the GE because the "State Property + workshop strategy" is not so good on this map where the core cities are all on the ice.

6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Quite sad about this one, but I decided to just hand in the game incompleted. I simply don't have time to finish :(

The plan was to go to space, after killing four AIs. Hammurabi is dead, and Justinian is almost dead. Had also intended to take on Shaka and Monty. They have longbows, but Trebs and Maces can deal with that fine enough.

Don't know if it would be pushing it too far, as Communism would be useful earlier, but I thought about Libbing Industrialism. Have built some wonders, and just completed HG, which yielded +28 pops.

I'm sure plenty of others wanted to go to space too, so far from sure I could have gotten there first. Maybe the wars were started too late, as movement on this map is very slow. Lots of forests in the captured land, though, so that could have been used to build a kickass National Park city, and of course some wooden spaceparts (fireproofed, ofc!).

A few pictures from when I handed in the game in 1020AD (had played to 1000AD three weeks back, but it was really hard to get back into it now so much later).
    Spoiler :
    The core of the empire. Many wonders in New York. I even built a Shrine there because of a random GProphet.

BOTM 205-1020AD core.jpg

The war front on Justinian. The only AI without Feudalism for now. Harappan is practically taken, and the Stone city is besieged and will probably fall next turn too (or the turn after, maybe I had too few attackers there). His capital has already fallen.

BOTM 205-1020AD Justinian front.jpg

Funnily enough, we have not suffered a single loss yet. Zero. Of course odds have been superb throughout (trebs vs archers/axes), but usually you get some unlucky losses here and there.

BOTM 205-1020AD stats.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  7. Seraiel

Seraiel If you want anything from I please ask in German

I just wanted to state, that I played this Spacerace in less than two days, and according to my Country (Germany) it' s still the 1st of February 2021, so I hope I made my submission still in time.

Here is a Screen from My Windows showing My Submission should be valid still...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  8. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

@Seraiel - no need to worry! If the system accepted your submission then it's on time. If you're late, you'll know as soon as you try to submit because the submission page won't let you submit. You can also check the Submissions page whether your name is on it - which it is, so your entry is definitely there!

Seraiel likes this.