1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 205: Joe Biden, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 27, 2020.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 205: Joe Biden, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. Are you being naughty or nice for the Xmas game?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 205, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

How have people fared? Any hidden presents found?
    I'm being nice. Promise! :D

Haven't waged war on anybody. Not even stolen any workers. Have spammed cities instead, the land is quite nice, despite all the ice everywhere. Thanks for the floodplains! :) Have 13 cities and have built some wonders. The capital (SIP) is size 12, which made it unhappy this turn. The scoreboard says pop 47, which is hopefully correct. Another settler will found a city in 2 turns.

Oracled CS, have built the Great Lighthouse, and am working on Colossus. Hopefully the latter will be worth it, which I think it will be. Quite a few water tiles around, including some nice lakes. Have tried to place cities to get around the ice dotted here and there, though it probably doesn't matter all that much at this point. Have trade routes with everybody anyway, except Justinian because a barb city popped up on the land bridge. Haven't researched Education yet, but have done Paper and traded maps. Got Music this turn and have queued up Construction. Maybe it's time to be naughty? We will see.

Due to fortunate religion spread to both Shaka and Monty, they are fellow Confucians. Won't last because Hammurabi and Saladin are spamming missionaries, but for now both are pleased with me. However, Monty started plotting 4-5 turns ago. I did turn down a demand or some such thing a good while back, but he hates Hammurabi so perhaps he is the target. Not exactly worried, because we have access to maces and crossbows, and soon catapults, so he can't really touch us. Many cities are very poorly defended because the most advanced unit I have is a warrior (10 dudes), but that can be changed quickly. No barracks yet either, so hardly set up for an offensive war, but it's probably something I should think harder about as the game moves forward.

At 1AD we are doing 262 :science:, which isn't too shabby considering we only have 1 library, in the capital. Do have an Academy, though, which helps, although the capital isn't working all the nice FPs currently.

Haven't decided what win to go for, but it seems a bit late to try for conquest/domination now given the easy difficulty level (others can probably just about win the whole darn game by 1AD). Maybe I'll try for space? Depends if I want to invest that much time, as it's obviously much quicker to go for a military strategy here.

3. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

I was not so nice.
    I saw all that Ice with it's 50% longer improvement times, and I said "I'm going to do something about that"
    First, I went south and stole a worker from Shaka, then I went north and stole another one from Monty. Probably not the smartest choices to steal from, but they were the ones I found early enough to do it.
    I decided to go for Culture pretty much from the start. I skipped the first two religions, but founded Judaism, oracled Theology for Christianity, then picked up Confu and Taoism.
    Had 7 cities at 1 AD. Really only planning to go to 9 to be able to build all the temples and cathedrals. Having Theology early also got me Hagia Sophia early, which really solved the worker turn problem for the long term.

4. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

More surprising than the wet corn was the dry corn next to it, that wasn't visible without resource bubbles. I found it in time. It took much longer to find the fur in the forest

I made a mistake with a whip early. I ruined OF from a worker into 2 fogbusters because I forgot we are Exp :hammer2: . One thing lead to another, all in all a sh**** play. So I decided to restart and play the nicer game. So no submission and I suppose no report this time..... (but I will play the game)

5. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Awww I can understand the frustration.

Although you obviously won't be able to submit (unless you want to submit your first attempt as a retired game), you can still report how your 2nd attempt goes in the spoilers - just make it clear in the report that it's a 2nd attempt (which obviously, you have kinda done now) ;) ).

6. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

Yet another nice relaxed game so far. :thumbsup:
    My game was somewhat similar to @Pangaea's.
    Total pop was 47, but with only 9 cities (all of them confucian). Same wonders but also had GLib.
    Only 6 warriors and 5 workers, though. :blush:
    Research wise, was doing 230 bpt @80%, -22gpt and 7 turns from Edu.
    Goal is space race.

7. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

With the choice of two new BOTMs starting on the same day, I chose the easy one first. The BC has been peaceful. By 1 AD, I have 7 cities. I've founded and converted to Confucianism, and I completed the Oracle for the CS sling.

8. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

No wars so far! The closest thing was a barbarian uprising that made 4 barb archers appear right outside one of my frontier cities. Luckily, I had spent a couple of turns researching archery and had an archer in the (hilltop) city. He defeated all four attackers.
    The mapmaker has given us a great map for Christmas with an abundance of prime city sites. Thus, I went for crazy REX even at the cost of slower tech. I oracled CS and built the GLH like @Pangaea and @Conquistador 63 but I don't have Music or Paper yet. Because of the REX I had a chronic lack of workers (14 @ 1AD), and the road network is not well connected. Finished Machinery right at the 1AD mark, so next step is probably to build an army of maces and pults. Mids are due next turn.

20 cities, 69 pop.
    96 bpt @30% research, -2gpt

I might actually go for space to see if I can catch up in tech to @Pangaea and @Conquistador 63.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Oooof. You're certainly way ahead in pop. I have 47 :eek: Many more cities too. Felt like I too REXed hard, but not hard enough.

Frederiksberg likes this.
  10. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Pop number is what I have going for me. The question is if I have overextended. It will take some time to get the tech rate up to speed again. Let's discuss again in the final spoiler :)

11. nocho

nocho Deity

I settled 1S on the FP. I wanted to be on the coast and the fish was nice, but real lack of hammers, so have been whipping a bit. At 1AD at 13 cities and 53 population, 1 settler underway, 9 workers. I also Oracled CS and got the GLH, working on Colossus. For some reason went for Engineering which is just in. I guess I anticipated a lot of moving on this hub-like map, especially given no horses available.