1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 206 (Vikings) Final spoiler - to "Game Over"

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, Feb 1, 2021.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 206: Roede Orm, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD
    Did you win? :viking: How? (a.k.a. What should the mapmaker do in the future to prevent such a travesty?):satan:
    Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 206 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry
    Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

Well, this has left a very bad taste in my mouth. I didn't think it was possible for a leader to win via AP vote when they were the only candidate. Oleg (Roosevelt/Russia) had been the only AP candidate since he built it. The choice in the last election for victory was Oleg or no one ( Hmm, art imitating life?)
    Oleg 508 votes, everyone else 182 combined. Oleg wins with 555 of 517 needed for the win.

I had been building my forces waiting for a few more tanks before rolling over Oleg's riflemen. Had I been aware of the possibility, I would have attacked earlier and just razed his cities.

It was an interesting game, the only downside being the difficulty of figuring out which Vikings should be shunned or destroyed as they were only referred to as Vikings, not by name. It made it very hard to make a tactical decision.

I built most of the early wonders and was building my forces when Floki (Zara) decided to take some of my cities. He was beaten back then lost half his cities before submitting. Then it was time for Tyr (Caesar) who, even though he only had a few cities was the tech leader. He submitted very quickly and it was on to Assur (Sitting Bull) and Charles Deux (Brennus) who was his vassal. I took 4 cities in one turn, and then they both become vassals of Oleg on the next! By this time I was building forces to remove Oleg when the AP disaster struck.

kcd_swede likes this.
  3. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

That is a common strategy for the player when aiming for a Religious VC, but it is rare to see the AI pull it off.

4. nocho

nocho Deity

After 1AD I went straight to guilds to try and conquer and unite the Viking world with knights. In hindsight maybe just horse archers might have done the trick, most AI were pretty slow to get to longbows. Zara still succumbed to HAs but then it was all knight work. After Zara August and then SB bent the knee. Then in a second golden age went full simpático with police state, vassalage, slavery and theocracy. Conveniently the French Brennus offered to be my vassal. Hatty and Roosey were also conveniently battling it out with each other when I attacked the former. When she vassaled to me, Roosey had his SoD of old junk closeby in the open, so wiped it out and after taking just 1 city he already was willing to vassal. That left the English, luckily I had had the foresight to send a bunch of galleys all the way to Paris while busy with the other wars, so could invade across the channel without nearly any delay. When he had just 2 cities left, the German Englishman also kissed the ring, just as I discovered the new world and while libbing astro on the last turn, for a conquest win in 1200AD.

Fun game, thx kcd!

kcd_swede likes this.
  5. Lawrence

Lawrence Warlord

TL;DR: I did the horse archer one and it worked. Conquest 1180AD

Thought about doing the horse archer rush since it's Prince. But with 7 rivals I was afraid that I might go into strike too early and get killed economically. Also, there are possibilities that the latter civs will get to longbows so HAs won't be able to work through it all.

So, I decided to try something I've never tried before: a Feudalism slingshot followed by a HA rush. It's a good fit for this map, where horses are not easy to connect, and one would need galleys for the rush to work out so it can't be very early.

A Feudalism slingshot is interesting because with Vassal States our cities can gain more happiness which helps to deal with the economy issues. Also we can double revolt to Hereditary Rule and Vassalage, which both save the economy and remove the need to build Stables (barracks + Vassalage = 5 XP) for a long while (possibly the whole game until we have Theocracy). Also the vassal states can help in teching as well to deal with the later Longbows. The downside is the rush is a lot slower to start which means it's very situational, but this game seems to fit well for that.

I didn't build any other wonders besides the Oracle, and I actually gifted Stone to SB so that hopefully he will build Pyramids instead of a lot of defense, which I can take later on -- this worked only half-way...

So Oracle at 875BC gave Feudalism but I somehow forgot to revolt until 725BC... I settled 6 cities including 4 in the main area, 1 to connect horse and 1 to connect fur in the tundra. That was about the amount my economy could handle. Never really connected Iron. My rush started late at 250BC against Fioki. After 2 cities he capped at 125BC and I was able to trade for IW with him after I discovered Alphabet at 100BC.

After some healing, at 25AD we declared against SB. He had Pyramids because I gifted him Stone, but -- realizing another mistake is I should have gifted Stone to someone other than SB --- his capital has 7 level 2-3 archers! With my mere army of about 12 HAs and 2 longbows, it's hard to take it on -- really should have just gifted it to Zara instead. For the sake of dealing with Caesar more quickly who already had Monarchy and I was fearing he'd get longbows, I decided to forgo the Pyramids, and after razing 2 outskirt cities SB capped at 125AD.

Next up is Caesar. He had metals. So I waited a while to amass more troops. DoWed 275AD, after some small fight, razing 2 cities and capturing the GLH city, Caesar capped at 450AD.

And now we started the great march through the steppes, which is admittedly quite far without Engineering, but the Viking nomads managed. Declared on Hatty at 600AD who is a pushover, after razing just 2 cities Hatty capped at 640AD.

I decided to divide my troops in 2 which was a very bad decision. Since Roosevelt had quite a sizable army with many spears half of my troops were not really able to conquer him. And the other (smaller) half didn't work with France either. I had to wait for my infantry -- a few longbows, Cats + Elephants to arrive at the battlefield to finish them off. And the British channel caught me completely by surprise, as my galleys were way back at home. I had to chop a couple of galleys in Lyons (former French) which further slowed it down. In the end French capped at 1000AD, Russia 1050AD, and I had to take 4 British cities for a war that lasted 12 turns -- mostly due to lack of galleys to transport troops. They finally capped at 1170AD.

At the end, Zara was almost able to break free as his pop reached 50% of mine for one turn.. so I changed to build more pops and he ended up as having 38% pop of mine.

Conquest win at 1180AD, which is not much faster than the Knight conquest by nocho. But I guess I could have done a lot better after Hatty capped by not splitting the troops -- probably about 5-6 turns better. Not knowing where the Brits were really hurt. Nocho really taught me that one can go for peace vassaling in a conquest game! That saves a lot of time. In the end we didn't get to see any longbows or crossbows, but we did build a small infantry with Elephants/Cats/Longbows to deal with the potential sightings of those.

It's possible this map can be done with a more "pure" HA rush without the slingshot, but I'm not sure whether it would fare much better -- I'd think about a lot heavier losses to SB and more time to conquer Hatty, Russia, France and England, having to travel such a great distance and without the ability to vassal them. And economy would be tough to deal with at the end when one needs to build galleys to get to England. Would be interesting to see if anyone went that route.

Tech-wise, I was able to get pretty decent economy for Conquest, most of the time about break even at 0% research. Stopped research at Construction and directed the vassals to get MC, CoL, Currency, Compass (not knowing where the Brits were, I was trying to guard against the remote possibility that they were put in the new continent..) and Calendar. I was in the end able to trade for all those and managed to get to Engineering (which helped a little bit with the faster road) and even Guilds at the last turn.

Built 70 horse archers and lost 39, also built 6 cats, 2 elephants, 4 longbows, lost about half of them. Killed 19 swords, 24 axes, 21 spears and 44 archers, and a few chariots and HAs.

Pangaea, nocho and kcd_swede like this.
  6. nocho

nocho Deity

Nice job, Lawrence! I think the main difference is that you committed to conquest way earlier than I did with Oracling Feudalism and starting to attack in the BCs and that paid off in the end, getting to conquest 2 turns earlier. I expanded much more and didn't attack the first AI until 680AD. So if you consider 250BC late, take that for an alternative! :lol: Of course being more developed, my conquering spree went faster, but just not enough to make up for your much earlier start.

7. Lawrence

Lawrence Warlord

Thanks nocho! I said 250BC is late is in comparison to a "pure" HA rush. Happy to get a kudos from you! I've been trying to learn your game ever since I came back to Civ 4 after a 12-years hiatus.

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler To T189, first war. :

Having secured a comfortable position, I just cruised for cuirs. Won music but delayed the GA a long time. Mainly just developing. Won lib with a comfortable lead.
    Civ4ScreenShot0035.JPG

Things seemed to heat up at the borders, so I bribed Assur Ulven on him. :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0046.JPG

A while later I was ready. I seemed to screw up the balance, because I had ALOT more HAs than I could afford to uprade. But it's nice to have them as stock for later too, and they can finish off some kills too.
    Civ4ScreenShot0053.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0055.JPG

Here is the empire overview at DoW on Floki.
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    And tech situation... I could probably have been way more ambitious, but I just wanted to get some wars started as early as possible. I was hoping to conquer several foes with cuirs.
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG

AssaurUlven did a AP vote to get himself out of the war, but on the last turn Floki takes a city of him. I discover his wounded stack and have almost my entire army within reach so I whipe it out.
    I finish him off, did a revolt in one hilled city but other than that just paid cuirs to get cities.
    Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG

Empire overview once he was gone. The devil AssaurUlven peacevassaled to my main rival Lagatha. I had hopes to continue with him, but no can do now. She is very strong.
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Around here, I was considering who I could attack. Tyr (August) had alot of units and Lagatha had rifling. Also diplo was complicated. Somewhere here I noticed that Lagatha had favourite civic Representation.
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Summary of the war. Facing so many elephants was abit annoying, they are nasty.
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Pangaea likes this.
  9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

My game lasted to T306 and had 51 hours gametime... I left it running over the course of some day, but alot of that was in fact active gameplay.
    One of the more epic games I have fought, it was... quite the struggle and I'm sort of relieved that it's over.
    Will write up more turnsets abit later, but now I have to rest abit from this game. :D

(P.S. I really hate Lagatha)

And thank you so much for a very nice map @kcd_swede
    I love that france/russia/england was involved, and that we where a few Vikings up in the north.
    I really wish you would have named the Vikings tribes different, as it was really a nightmare to keep track of who was who.
    Perhaps Norse/Gute/Danish something? Not sure. :) But something to keep in mind untill the next Viking map! (I hope there is more comming!)

kcd_swede likes this.
  10. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

I went for conquest, but took my time about it, compared to others who have already posted their results. Victory achieved in 1858.

krikav likes this.
  11. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

12. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

This was a fun one! I also went Conquest. My decision was mainly driven by the fact that I didn't start the game until Feb. 21st, and I play pretty slow most of the time.

Wrapped it up in 1650. I expanded quite a bit, since there was basically no one close by. Probably more than I should have, considering I knew what the endgame needed to be. Anyway, I had an idea that using the stone to build Mids could get me there in two stages: 1. Use Rep to get through the medieval tech slowdown, 2. Police State to crank out troops

I started out with mainly Berserkers and Catapults. I took a city from Floki and then he brought an AP vote to stop the war. I voted 'No' instead of 'NEVER!!', which turned out to be a mistake. I had to redirect to Tyr, go after Assur, then come back around to Floki. By then the Knights were flowing out the heartland. Charles offered himself up as a peace vassal, Lagatha and Oleg both capped with only two cities captured. It seemed almost too easy.

I had started Galleys moving toward Paris, but it was a looong trip from the western coast. I only had two that were going to be there in time. Then I realized I could finish Astronomy if I started a GA. I ended up with 3 Galleons in position instead of 6 galleys. I thought England would be easy to cap too, but not so much. I had to take down 4 cities to get the win. I thought I might have 1605, but hey 1650 ain't bad. And it's nowhere near 1180 AD, so it's not like it was make or break.

kcd_swede likes this.
  13. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Vikings on horses?! What is this heresy!? :eek:

I had played to 1000AD almost 3 weeks ago, so I needed some time to re-orientate myself when firing up the save again. At that point we had 24 cities and I was waiting for a GS to almost fully bulb Education (lots of pop) with the economy breaking even at 10%. The capital had been moved. Floki was dead and Assur Ulven had just capitulated. I had tried to assault some cities right off the boats with Berserkers, but it didn't work so well. Ulven had got Longbows, and the city I had to attack was on a hill. Managed to take it, but it was costly. After that it was trebs+berserkers' work.
    Spoiler :
    (Sorry about all the notes, it's a habit of mine)

BOTM 206-T160 map.jpg

Already next turn, when I was moving and healing units in preparation for a quick war on Tyr Blixt, Deux offered to become a vassal. Fine by me!
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T161 Deux vassals.jpg

Either before I declared on Ulven, or early in the war, Blixt had declared on Ulven and thrown a huge force of longbows against one of his cities, and largely lost them. Therefore he didn't have as much now, which made things easier for me. I attacked 2-3 cities simultaneously, and he capped pretty quickly. Kinda wanted to grab his AP-filled capital, because it looked really nice, but once he was on the ground with an outstretched hand, it was better to shake it and welcome him aboard our longboats.

This did peeve me off a bit, tho. First we lose MoM to the pesky Russians, and then Blixt somehow manages to build two wonders in two turns, first pinching the Great Library right in front of our noses too. I had 2 turns left, but figured it was probably safe and not worth whipping.... Grrr. Would have been really nice as our economy was still at a standstill here
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T168 wonders lost.jpg

At least we got some gold out of it, which did help.

In 1100AD we launch a Golden Age with the free Music GA, and switch to Vassalage + Theocracy in preparation for more warfare. I was a little fed up of only having 3XP units, and Confucianism was in almost all cities anyhow. Then notice that Oleg Profeten's favourite civic was Vassalage, and I start to narrow it down. Not that it matters all that much, but it's fun to work out the grey ones a little once in a while :lol:

War on Lagatha was next. There had been several brief wars between her and Oleg, so I was a little surprised a decent stack was parked in this border city. We invaded right next to it thanks to cooperative borders, and she threw a bunch of units at us.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T170 Lagatha stack.jpg

Lagatha was the only one without Feudalism for now, so I declared a little earlier than ideal and threw what I had at her, desperately trying to remove archers that popped up. Took more risks than I should have, like half-dead CR2 berserkers at 75-80% odds (which you are always destined to lose when they really matter). We lost a unit or two in that initial counter of hers, but we lost more units to these overly risky attacks. Did manage to take out several archers, though, so maybe it was worth it in the end.

After only a few turns she caps, and we hadn't been able to take more than that one city. Turns out her favourite civic is Vassalage too. She capped in 1130AD. It's then a pretty long march on Oleg, and I make the in hindsight questionable move to wait until we can Lib Steel and upgrade a bunch of trebs to cannons. In 1140AD we win Lib, while our ever so useful super-scout checks out Oleg's stuff. Not very scary, but he does have a sizeable stack near Deux's border. Suppose he wants to really smack him around this time. They've already been at war at least once.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T176 Oleg's stack.jpg

We declare in 1190AD. Unfortunately for peace vassal Deux, Oleg instantly invades nearby Rheims and easily dispatches the two longbows + riffraff inside. Meanwhile we march on St Petersburg.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T179 Invade Oleg.jpg

Not sure what "Surely, you must be joking..." means when hovering over the Capitulation red-lined option, but in any case, soon after he does capitulate. Don't think we had been able to march on the next city yet. That leaves only one. Thank goodness I had sent 5 galleys around all those coasts a long while back. Due to spotting about 99 boats inside London, I did take the time to sail them up to Rheims, which Oleg had kindly given us in the peace deal, to upgrade them to Galleons. The timing was okay, and we managed to get Astro in 3-4 turns while the army was moving down to Rheims and Paris.

A trireme in the west of the empire had been upgraded to a caravel and was exploring the new world. Sadly it ran into a 'stack' of two barb galleys, with no way to escape with coast in all directions. And you know the rule here ;) Despite 97% odds, it was almost sunk by the first galley, so was easily dealt with by the 2nd. Another caravel had left the eastern shores (which isn't all that far eastern really), but still had a lot of work ahead of it.

Okay, it's finally time to invade the evil English, with a leader with a totally confusing spelling of his name. The plan was to land in this forest, but when the berserkers saw the defence, and a million boats inside the city, they felt the need to directly attack off the boats.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T188 Attack London.jpg

This brave man sadly dies, but he did take the longbow down to 2.4 :strength, so his mates had 99% odds against the sword, spear and cats, and the wounded longbow. The city is captured, and the angry vikings burn all those boats. Should have captured them instead, but at least they found some beer in the cupboards which eased the pain of seeing fine vessels on the bottom of the bay.

BOTM 206-T188 first berserker dies.jpg

We pick up more guys, all the berserkers able, plus some cannons, and sail down to Nottingham. Two longbows there, but we take that one too off the boats. One guy dies. Oddly the 28% bloke won, while the 74% one died. At least luck evened itself out.

Eckckckckckcbert still refuses to talk, however, so more berserkers are picked up in Paris, sail across London, where some knights/cannons are dropped off the boats and berserkers that sacked London earlier jumps on board. Next turn we sail on tiny Warwick, which is also taken from the sea. A longbow and mace there, plus a few more. No losses this time, with odds strongly in our favour. CR3 is nice!

More units are shipped across the strait, and a bunch of cannons and upset vikings march towards York. Upon seeing their painted faces and sharp axes, Eckbbbhhhbhbhert finally decides that enough is enough. The lack of speaking earlier was apparently due to the language barrier. He signs his name in blood on a piece of paper, and we shake hands. Off to the beer cellar!
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T192 Conquest win.jpg

Not as fast as the horse riders, but hey, it was still fun! :viking:

(Hopefully somebody else goes for something that isn't conquest. Looks like all reports so far have gone for the kill 'em all approach.

kcd_swede and krikav like this.
  14. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@Pangaea

Wait wait, whaaaat?! You sure about that?
    She had Representation as her favourite civic in my game. 100% sure. Such a huge part of my game was figuring out if that was Napoleon/Julius or Pericles/Augustus and I could feel safe at pleased.
    I played the masochistic deity save, perhaps the random personalities die-roll was different in the two games?

I did, but my... the AIs did NOT like that and wanted moooar blood.

Yepp! :D

kcd_swede likes this.
  15. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Thanks for the bump @Pangea, now I'll sift through my screenshots folder and add more posts. :D
    Sorry for spam, but this game was so intense! SO much happening. :)
    Spoiler T209 :

The first thing I did after comming back to the game after the war when I realized that Ulven had peacevassaled was to beg from Lagatha, Olaeg was plotting already and I was hoping it was on her.
    Having 10 turns when she would not consider me as a target ment she had 10 turns to start plotting on someone else, and they do really like to start plotting with aggressive AI setting! :D

Instead, I plan to hit another target, and he did everything he could to paint a more bright bullseye target on his back.
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Favourite civic representation! Thats Napoleon, Julius and Victoria who _does_ plot at pleased, and Augustus and Pericles who doesn't.
    I recall that she was willing to trade away something previously but can't remember the exact percentages but that did seem like pericles.
    Nevertheless, I'm glad that I had a peacedeal going in case it was psyco-nappy.
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    A few turns later, they are all plotting, except Lagatha
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    I got to be the AP resident, and I had plans to steal a city of Lagatha, it was a barb city that had swapped hands multiple times and I had almost all culture in it.
    I carefully checked and saw that the only chance she had to avoid it was to defy, which the AIs seldom do, but then when it was time to put forth a resolution... I realized that oh... the AP religion need to be present in the village. AAAaaargh.
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

I ran a GA with the GSpy from Communism and a GMerch I had saved up and do some teching.
    The same turn that the peace treaty with Lagatha wears of, she starts plotting. I had forgotten to add a reminder. :(
    I beg again and it does succeed, but when I saw a stack of rifles outside my borders I scrapped plans for further teching and instead went into wartime civics, policestate, nationhood, slavery, stateproperty, theocracy.
    I had alot of scouts around and saw when Olaeg went out. At first I hoped he was going toward Blixt but no... It's me he is after.
    Civ4ScreenShot0020.JPG

I got the last two-three turns of steampower from Blixt for military science, and I trade rifling from Ulven for steampower and communism (he was teching communism).
    T207 I also note that Lagatha seems to be capped out at -2 diplo from different religions, and that she does trade map at pleased. This makes me so glad because the only one that fits that bill is pericles who does not plot at pleased!
    But then I see that she does have -1 "A first impression" which Pericles does not! (He is at +1) Wth?
    The only of the represenation-fans who has -1 is Napoleon and he only trades map at Friendly.
    So something is seriously off... Does the AGG-AI add more starting diplo minus to all AIs? Does buffy bugg out when playing with random personalities..?
    Civ4ScreenShot0026.JPG

Now, thats a real Viking! Such a relief to not having Lagathas wrath hanging over me.
    The next turn Olaeg has finally marshed his doomstack all the way to me and declares on me too.
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG

Eggbert grants Monty independence. Some nice looking land too!
    Lovely for me, Monty has all the techs that his master has, so I get to trade for Physics.
    The Missionary is mainly to spread to Lagathas cities to hopefully pay her to swap religion.
    Civ4ScreenShot0033.JPG

Well... Doesn't look good for you now Blixt.
    I really liked to have Lagatha busy, but I don't want Blixt to capitulate either so I pay Steampower+Mil/Sci to Lagatha to make peace.
    She is still unwilling to convert to buddhism, so just before the deal I revolt to rep+caste+free religion, and make her go into rep+free religion too.
    Civ4ScreenShot0036.JPG

16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Yep! :D

Took an image of this, because it's not often you see an AI go... Serfdom :lol:
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 206-T184 AI civics.jpg

Don't think I got any favourite civics for anybody else, but I did suspect that some had HR, because the relations looked so strange, and all the AIs had that. But then I'm also Friendly with +2 Deux/Brennus, so I don't know what the hell is going on here...!

I am 99.9% sure Deux is Gandhi, though, because I rejected a demand from him at least once, and got no penalty from him. IIRC, only Gandhi does that. He also went two religions early and spammed missionaries, which is Gandhi's trademark move :crazyeye:

Because Lagatha/Hatty only has -1 for religion, I concluded that it HAD to be Cyrus. The other bloke I narrowed down to Mehmed or Charlie iirc.

I didn't look too much into their personalities tbh, because ultimately it didn't matter all that much in my game. But for those I got favourite civics on, it gets much easier to narrow it down. Besides, once you get some vassals, it's harder to try to figure things out from whether they want to stop trading etc, because of shared diplomacy. Have burnt myself on that before :-|

17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T226 :

I give Blixt Communism to get company against Olaeg.
    A axe stand on the flatland, trying to taunt him to go down there with his doomstack.
    Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG
    But he goes straight for the city instead. After this I can clean up his stack nicely, then I start riding toward him.
    And Lagatha starts to plot AGAIN! But this time she does it while we where on the last few turns of our T202 peace treaty. Pheew.
    Civ4ScreenShot0041.JPG
    She doesn't move right away, the doomstack moves from city to city a while.
    I figure the size of that doomstack makes it easy to understand why I was so worried and so preoccupied with the diplomatic relations with her.
    And the fact that I couldn't figure out who she was, and if I was safe at pleased or not... So stressfull!
    Civ4ScreenShot0043.JPG
    Another relief.. I'm finally up at 50% culture in this city, which is on duty to get a GArtist for the 3GPeople GA.
    It's so incredibly annoying that Ulven vassaled to lagatha... The nasty Ulv also has Sistine so it's an unfair fight. That poor city SE of the gems has 3 workable tiles and has to have a large garrison to prevent it from revolting.
    Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG

After just killing some stray units, no cities taken Oleg wants to capitulate.
    I was abit hesitant, as having a Vassal is always problematic when handling diplo. But he and Lagatha where comming along nicely.
    I figured I can't say no to a free vassal.
    Civ4ScreenShot0051.JPG

Then I turn back to my prime target.
    He has alot of cities that are easy to reach. Only my mounted units where way east at Oleg, but cannons/rifles move in here.
    Civ4ScreenShot0053.JPG

Lagatha soon joins the war. I had to attack a city of Blixt that was almost engulfed up in her culture there with my mounted, and paid a large price in units to get that city, but I wanted to stop her from getting war success.
    I beg Blixt to hold on just a while longer, as I want statue of liberty.
    I tried to save up cash for several turns to get enough gold to pay he off, but no.. My gold is not enough.
    Civ4ScreenShot0061.JPG

Oh, this looks like a nice spot Lagatha, why haven't you settled it yet?
    Civ4ScreenShot0064.JPG

Rather nice city!
    A few turns later, I get screwed by Ulven holding an AP vote to stop the war against me, I lost the residency because I was in free religion... Argh.
    And shortly after my peace, Blixt capitulates to Lagatha and this city is swamped in his culture for much of the rest of the game.
    Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG

18. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T280 :

Appart from Blixt refusing to open borders, trapping a large chunk of my army in his former Capital including my medic things where moving along nicely.
    Eggbert declared on me T232 but didn't do much, and we made peace about 7-10 turns later without any real bloodshed. He did smash some fish of mine though.
    Diplo was working out perfecly. I even got the relations between my vassal and Lagatha to friendly and I was mostly just playing simcity from here on.
    Spreading mininginc and sushi around and settling every godawful spot I could find. Spamming missionaries/executives/settlers everywhere.
    Civ4ScreenShot0080.JPG

I was rather pleased with my expansion. Ulven broke free at some point and I then declared on Eggbert and paid Ulven to join me, to prevent him from re-vassaling to Lagatha. I was planning on attacking him abit later but didn't want to stall development to do it just yet.
    And perhaps I negleced diplo abit too much here, to busy just building...
    Civ4ScreenShot0087.JPG

Because my moron of a Vassal apparantly went out of religion and representation AND upset the applecart by sending incompetent spies against Lagatha enough to drop him down to Cautious. FOR ONE TURN.
    Civ4ScreenShot0088.JPG

I was going to delay the GA a while longer to set up cities more, but since Lagatha started to plot I have to go right away. Nationhood too and I start to draft infantry everywhere.
    Civ4ScreenShot0090.JPG

Aaaaw, thats stingy of you Lagatha! 1 coin and 10 turns you should have given me!
    Civ4ScreenShot0092.JPG
    At least I get a buddy on my side.
    Civ4ScreenShot0094.JPG

He got some nice goodies too. I had monopoly on those techs but no can do now... I need artillery.

Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG

Some units I have managed to muster.
    Civ4ScreenShot0099.JPG
    But that looks scary. :|
    Civ4ScreenShot0100.JPG

It was still a while until the DoW though, but when it came... the war horns never stopped! :D
    Civ4ScreenShot0103.JPG

19. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T306 :

Some wars going on!
    Civ4ScreenShot0102.JPG

Monty bullies me abit too. :( Losing alot of seafood in alot of cities hurt alot.
    Civ4ScreenShot0104.JPG
    Lagatha jumped into a city and I realized I had a defensive spy standing there, so I got Fission! Nice help going forward.
    I lost the internet race to Lagatha by a rather wide margin.
    Civ4ScreenShot0105.JPG
    These two cities fell like house of cards, and Oleg didn't hold up that good either.
    Civ4ScreenShot0107.JPG

At the main border line, Lagatha made some slight progress. Taking my frontier cities and then getting smashed inside them, back and forth for a loooong time.
    She stubbornly refused to talk, I was so willing to give her basically anything just to get peace.
    UN peacekeeping also failed.
    I just want to get out of the war... Please Lagatha! You got some nice spoils, can't we just get back to teching/developing? Please...?
    Civ4ScreenShot0111.JPG

YEEEEES you are willing to talk! How about Grenoble? No? But when I add Fiber optics, that works.
    Civ4ScreenShot0113.JPG

Building a spaceship while simultaniosly building units trying to survive was... less than ideal circumstances!
    But hey, at least I got peace before the launch! Lagatha was NOT invited to witness the historical event. :mad:
    Civ4ScreenShot0116.JPG

Getting some sweet revenge against this culture-pushing peace vassaling scoundrel was sweet too.
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

This was the first time I tried corporations for endgame.
    I had time to push up pop abit, but my plan for a peaceful simcity experience, getting huge cities and a good score and a early-ish finish didn't materialize.
    Still, the victory was Oooooh so sweet! For a while things looked really really bleak when I lost cities and I had troubles reinforcing with enough infantry/artillery to hold the line.
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

20. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler Statistics LagathaWar :

Statistics prior, the war with Floki/Oleg/Blixt.
    PreLagathaWar.JPG

And after the slugfest with Lagatha...
    Infantry is so sturdy, but still.. 63 lost.
    And the Artillery is almost exlusively from smashing her doomstacks inside the cities she caputred from me and clearing them out.
    PostLagathaWar.JPG