[BTS] BOTM 212: Inca, Prince; Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by kcd_swede, May 1, 2021.

1. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

BOTM 212: Huayna Capac, Prince - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD
    Did you win FAST ? :eekdance:
    Tell us how, or tell us why not? :crazyeye:

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 212 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry
    Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

I just want to say one thing. I delayed researching astronomy for ages because I didn't see any need for ships to aid conquest and I was doing very nicely out of the colossus. In fact I even got to be able to build transports before I had astronomy!

As a result, it was through a map swap that I first learned of the existence of the paradise island. And I just want to say how mean it was of the mapmaker to actually leave a few tiles without resources on them on this island. I was shocked that he wasn't able to be just a little bit more generous to the first person to colonise it (which was me btw). :lol:

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    kcd_swede likes this.
  3. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

@DynamicSpirit
    I had to reopen my file after reading the above remark to see if this island was visible in my game (which it was) :wow:
    As an excuse, since I was going culture I was focused on my own empire alone. The rest of the map didn't matter that much. It didn't stop me from trading maps of course.

Something that I noticed was this ''scenic palm beach''
    Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG

4. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Yeah, I got a bit over-zealous with adding trees. Can't chop the mangrove forests!

5. DynamicSpirit

Impressive, isn't it! It's a shame I didn't discover it until long after I'd already built the ironworks - would've made for, maybe, the best ironworks city ever!

6. DynamicSpirit

Haha! The palm beach was quite useful for giving me a bit of extra production in the city I settled 1S of it (so, slightly different location from @Powerfaker) - especially after I'd chopped all the other forests on that island down! I did wonder whether it was deliberate or not.

kcd_swede likes this.
  7. nocho

nocho Deity

From 1AD sort of had a standard rush to get to space. Concentrated on infra, while preparing the land with workshops, watermills and farms. The Persians were eliminated, the Americans were left with one city on an icey island in the north, and didn't vassal to leave some margin on the domination limit. Then the Celts were added to the empire and that left just enough wiggle room to settle 1 city on paradise island, basically for the silver that wasn't available elsewhere. That kept me 1.5% under domination. Libbed Assembly Line and went communist. Couldn't get the 5-man Golden Age, but got my goal of a pre-1600 win when the ship reached the stars in 1590AD. And yeah, Palm Beach was a surprise, took a while to figure out why there were hammers available at sea! Thanks for the game.

kcd_swede likes this.
  8. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

My basic goal here was to do what no one else would do. So, on a juicy Pangaea map with Prince-level opponents, plus the ability to Quecha-rush, I decided to go for Religious victory.
    Not that that stopped me from Quecha rushing Hatty.

I hope I was only one, because my execution of the Religious victory gameplan was pretty terrible. There was no additional commerce until the first border pop, so I missed Hinduism by at least 2 turns. I eventually got Judaism, and then Christianity, but that screwed up my early tech path.

Then, when I built the AP, I forgot the proper sequence to make sure that you're the only candidate. I built it while Christianity was my state religion, and that was also the religion I spread to the other civs. It was closer to 1 AD by the time I completed the spread to all civs, and then I went through 4, maybe 5, votes before I finally won. The first one I lost by like 7 votes, the next one by 5. It was really close, but there were too many variables. Cyrus and Zara both adopted Christianity, so one would be running against me and I always had to make sure each of them like me more than they liked each other. Eventually, I got Asoka on board with some 'mutual military struggle' bonus points. That plus taking a Celtic city and spreading there (and settling on the southern island and spreading there) finally got me the win in 1030 AD.

kcd_swede likes this.
  9. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

It has been a while since I submitted my game, so don't have the details.
    But one thing I remember it was a fun setup, all those trees were a very generous gift from the mapmaker.

My original plan was to chase a space race game. Things were going smoothly, I had expanded well enough and with a small force of knights I was able to conquer Persia, America & Celtia (besides Egypt in the first few turns of the game). Techwise I was following the corporation route, already had the GP's waiting and was on my way to lib Railroads.

But somehow those restless war veterans refused to just sit in cities as military police for a thousand years, and decided to attack Portugal around 700AD. Joao quickly proposed capitulation and we accepted, but that brought us too close from land domination limit. :mischief:.
    I considered gifting cities down the road to avoid domination, but...ultimately decided it would be a bit boring, so I plopped a couple of settlers and accepted the domination win, in the 800AD's.

Thanks for the game!

kcd_swede likes this.
  10. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

The trees were great, happy with them.

I played a cultural victory 1370ad, something I haven't done for a few years, despite Cultural being my first love..... :)

Way over expanded, just couldnt help myself. Built the majority of the wonders....GLH was especially useful, teched nearly the whole tree by myself...... kicking myself for taking CoL from Oracle when it seemed CS was easily available.

lymond and kcd_swede like this.
  11. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Compared to my usual games, I won fast. Compared to some of the others' results, well...

I destroyed the Persian Empire by 475. During this war, Asoka declared against me (when I still had no idea where his territory was) then later signed a ceasefire (when I still had not seen his army). I attached Washington and forced him to bend the knee in 660. Joao was next to capitulate in 800. I destroyed the Celtic Empire in 980, then attacked ZY and made him a vassal in 1040.

I declared against Asoka in 1050, but expanding borders gave me a Domination victory in 1070, before I could take any Indian cities.

kcd_swede likes this.
  12. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

1580AD Space (sorry nocho ;)) ...I think this may be my fastest non-HOF space victory. Despite not settling/conquering quite as fast pre-1AD as others, the start was still quite strong for me, especially tech-wise. Early Edu, but I coulda done a better job getting Ox up faster...I really did not plan well for it.

I libbed Superconductores which I sorta beelined, then went Communism. I debated whether to nab Commie before the Superconductor race, but I wanted to time that Golden Age for SP switch with having some labs in play.

What really caught me off-guard mid-game, as I was casually building up some Curs to knock heads to the East, was how close to dom land limit I was at that point. I completely ignored that for some time after taking out Persia, Murica, Celts, and Ethiopia (Egypt I killed asap with Qs at the start). I actually checked around the time I killed Zara and was like "holy freakin' cow" I almost did a stupid back door Dom thing again (I've killed at least two past Space games hitting Dom). Ethiopia land put me very close, and I actually had to end up gifting 3 or 4 cities by the end of the game as overall culture was pressing on Joao. Most of the gifts were dinky cities I'd settled early on borders, but I did have to give away a bigger Ethiopian city.

I was at 59.95% land 2 turns from finish and gifted a city at that point.

Built most wonders in the game, and many of the late ones in the 10 turn ship launch period. Lotsa fail gold from early wonders. A ton from Taj which I built to one turn in 1 city and then spread it around for a long time as I waited to time that GA when I wanted it. I had 4 GAs in all, and all of them late. All of my bulbing was post Edu/Lib, but most gps were used for GAs, with 1GE used for IW which is super important, and another late one on Cristo for whatever.

Asoka built AP but it was irrelevant to me. One city got AP religion late game but it was never a factor other than making sure no RDV occurred. Freddie was peace-vassaled to Asoka for a good portion of the game, but broke away late. Joao and I were Jewish, which interestingly was founded by Brennus. Everyone but Asoka was Jewish at one point and everyone declared on Brennus early anyway. While I was mopping up America and Persia, the others were all at war with Brennus who never even got IW before I killed him, and then did absolutely nothing against him. I just swooped in later and nabbed the Celtic cities which were 3 at the time. (possible Brennus may have had a city or two razed somewhere that I did not see) That really was the craziest thing about the game was the Celtic wars.

I discovered Paradise Island early on, but was already at Dom limits so did not consider it at all...unfortunately. I was still really surprised that I had close to 60% of the land so early in the game. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Thanks for the game...been a long time since I've been able to complete one.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    nocho and kcd_swede like this.
  13. Frederiksberg

Frederiksberg Deity

Challenger save.

Went after Brennus in the early AD's with an army of cats, WEs and maces. After taking his cities the other civs were still without Engineering allowing my army to also attack and capture all of Ethiopia. Then came a phase of consolidation but when cuirs and cannons became available I attacked Washington with the goal of capturing MoM. After taking all the American cities a blitz agains Darious (vassalized) brought me close to the domination limit and I had to gift 3 cities to Joao. I was cruising towards a 17xx Space Victory when I accidentally tripped the domination limit in 1540 AD (was researching Rocketry and had about 20 turns of research left).

Interesting to see the quick Space victories with the contender save. I guess it shows that the tech trades you get from deity level can't compensate for the increased expenses and the need to build quite massive armies (15-20 units in a stack).

lymond, nocho and kcd_swede like this.