1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] BOTM 215: Napoleon, Immortal Level - Starts 15 June

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:27 PM.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 215: If Napoleon Were a Viking

Just imagine if Napoleon was a Viking and had beserkers and super-fast boats! How much more would he have been able to conquer! Well now's your chance to test that theory. You have Napoleon's traits but the Viking unique unit and building.

Of course the other way to look at it is... evil mapmaker gives you a water-based map with the Vikings - and then changes the leader so don't get the benefit of being financial any more.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Napoleon of Vikings
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Islands
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Napoleon is Organized and Charismatic, and you start with The Wheel and Agriculture.

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

The Charismatic trait gives +1 happiness/city, and -25% experience required for unit promotions

Unique unit: Berserker (replaces Maceman)
    The Berserker benefits from: free promotions: amphibious, and 10% city attack bonus. This compares with the Maceman which has: 0% city attack bonus.

Unique Building: Trading Post (replaces Lighthouse)
    The trading post gives units built in the city a free navigation promotion - an extra movement point!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    You play on monarch level (but the AI still has immortal starting units)

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    You play on deity level (but the AI still has immortal starting units)

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Jun 2021, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Jul 2021.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

kcd_swede likes this.
  2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Interesting. Zerks will not get the +1Combat promo, but Char will be nice for promos. Fast Trading Posts too, so a bit of synergy there.

Should we assume all leaders/civs are mixed here?

hmm..settling on PH vs. lose the silver. I'm inclined to settle on the PH. The early commerce would be helpful but I'm likely whipping off it early anyway. Can always settle it soon.

That PH is highly likely some resource, but could be aluminum or coal.

Not familiar with the Islands script. Don't think I've ever played it.

krikav likes this.
  3. DynamicSpirit

No, only you.

krikav and lymond like this.
  4. lymond

I'm glad you could straighten that out for me :lol:

hmm....rolled a couple of Island maps. One of those map scripts with several options to it that may change things quite a bit, but what I rolled mainly all leaders were pretty much isolated. Of course, our non-evil mapmaker:satan: may have altered or chosen map options that allows meeting other AIs. Isolated would greatly reduce the efficacy of our French Berzerkers.

5. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

I think I'd rather keep the silver.

Immortal is still above my play level. And a Cuirraisier rush won't get far on an island map. I guess I need to practice my amphibious attacks with berserkers.

6. nocho

nocho Deity

Looks fun. I'm also inclined to keep the silver, with the silver itself and charismatic we have an early happy cap of 7, or 8 with monument, so I'd be looking for whip cycles of size 6 to 4 (especially once we have a trading post and the lake is worth working), or 5 to 3. Also with islands I guess we don't have to rush settling as much if we have the island for ourselves or if we can relatively easily block off an area for ourselves.

Going for GLH seems a no-brainer on any watery map, so starting with wheel and agri, guess tech path likely will be something like mining, BW, fishing, sailing, myst (for charismatic monuments), masonry with pottery squeezed in somewhere. Maybe fishing first to be able to start immediately on a workboat after the worker. Note to self, get out enough warriors for fogbusting.

7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Oh wow, CHA Berserkers is somthing I have never even thought about!
    I recently tried to fiddle around with Alex to get speedy amphibious grenadiers where Agg helps reach amphibious at 5xp (C1 for free, then just C2->Amphibious).
    But with CHA berserkers we can get CR3 amphibious rifles or grenadiers at only 8xp!

Losing FIN on a watery map is a bummer, but ORG isn't irrelevant either with cheaper lighthouses and reduced maintenence that can be a problem on these types of maps.

Regarding PH/Silver... I think the lake/clam sorts out the early commerce that is dearly needed, so I think I prefer the PH. Settling a city that can share corn and work silver should be doable early on anyway.
    But on the other hand. I think that wet corn means I want worker first, and if settling on the PH, then there might be workerturn problems...? If SiP, agri->mining should work out fine, with both the silver mine and the PH to mine after that.

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I think we are starting with fishing+hunting though?
    You got a good point about GLH. Maybe keeping the silver mine in capital to make sure we reach sailing/mason/BW in reasonable time is the way to go..

9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Oh, drydock gives two promotions too, and add navigation to that and one could get a really nice navy late game.
    If grabbing circumnavigation ironclads could work out really nice with 5 movements.

10. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

CS slingshot would be ideal for berserkers, but at Immortal that could be tough.
    The early silver and fishing will both help with any Oracle effort. Probably best to Oracle->Metal Casting for Triremes if you're going to go on the amphibious warpath.
    On 2nd thought, maybe Oracle->Code of Laws gets you CS faster. And, you may not need Triremes so much since your boats are so fast.

11. nocho

nocho Deity

The game description states we start with the wheel and agriculture, and as you know, you can always blindly trust the mapmaker (maybe unless swedish :mischief:).

kcd_swede likes this.
  12. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

You are right, It does say that...
    However I'm abit suspicious. :)

@DynamicSpirit Do we start with agri+TW like the French, or fishing+hunting like the Vikings?
    I would have guessed fish+hunt since we are Vikings, but the description does say Agri+TW.

lymond likes this.
  13. lymond

I'm gonna assume fish+hunt as well. Probably just an oversight, although technically I think the mapmaker can change the starting techs in the code.

Looks like ice tile 1NW 1NE of the silver. I'm inclined to move the warrior onto the silver or 1NW of his position for more info. I'm not entirely opposed to settling on the silver if more resources are present.

Another note on islands. Seems each civ starts on a rather small landmass or let's say ..large island, with room for roughly 6 cities, possibly more. That's assuming all things standard here. Usually some tiny islands(1 or maybe 2 tile islands) splattered around as well. GLH would obviously be a good play on this map.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021 at 1:15 PM
  14. DynamicSpirit

You start with agriculture + the wheel.

kcd_swede and krikav like this.
  15. lymond

Great! Best not to assume :)

krikav likes this.
  16. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

Placing other cities: Strongly consider placing coastal/island cities on the tile farthest from your island center to make a culture bridge thru ocean tiles to the next landmass. Might be able to reach everyone quicker, without Astro, if you're careful.

krikav likes this.
  17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@lymond On the silver does look somewhat tempting yeah.
    Fastest possible corn that way.
    But on the other hand, settling straight into the ice doesn't sound tempting. :)

18. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Napoleon is not a "Why"King- but a "That's-why"-King :king:
    And he doesn't need any financial crap since he already has the perfect trait combo :eek::eek::eek:

19. jnebbe

jnebbe Warlord

So ai gets immortal units but monarch bonuses, so should be roughly emperor difficulty?
    Will try this later, I promise I won't rq this one :hmm:

20. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Prince

I disagree. It looks like ice iNE of the silver. I NW of silver looks kind of wet, either salty or not. So yes ice, just not in solid form.

The image looks like Nappy has donkey ears.
    So this is Immortal where the AI might not be able to crush you before they build something that floats. Fortunately Napoleon is so enlightened about naval techonology... "You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck..." No wonder why he has donkey ears then. (Or maybe it's the horned ghost of a helmet...)