[BTS] BOTM 219: Lincoln, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Aug 19, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 219: Lincoln, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 219 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

So, in the 1AD thread I had just gotten ready to do a elepult strike against Mao who built pyramids right at my borders and MoM in Bejing.
    The attack was abit slow since I was boxed in heavily and had to resort to some slow to develop coastal cities.

@MirrorGuard You where absolutely right that Mao was tough.. The first war against him lasted two turns. I did get two cities though, and causalties where very low.

Spoiler T118 :

Nice prize!
    Civ4ScreenShot0066.JPG

Not too much danger around.
    Civ4ScreenShot0068.JPG

Yikes yikes!!
    Civ4ScreenShot0069.JPG

Luckily I could get Chendu, then I pillage what I could reach and then I have a note in another screenshot saying "Peace for monotheism". I think I got Mono but I can't remember.
    Civ4ScreenShot0073.JPG

Spoiler T138 :

Once feudalism was done I traded that for Theo with Pacal and revolted to sensible civics.
    Civ4ScreenShot0077.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0078.JPG
    Mao can't resist building more wonders it seems. :)
    Alot of trades in turns that follows, MC from Gilga for CoL+Theo, Machinery from Mao ( !!) for CoL+Alpha+Theo.
    Think I got drama from Pacal too.
    Civ4ScreenShot0081.JPG

This was the second failure of hindu spread in this city. Luckly I got some help from Pacal to spread in the other cities.
    Civ4ScreenShot0092.JPG

Mao builds wonders and I build units. Lots of units!
    Civ4ScreenShot0094.JPG

3. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T168 :

Here I started to feel confident enough.
    Civ4ScreenShot0096.JPG

This is a nice trick. Note how broken this city is. 79 whip anger stacked up. Civ4ScreenShot0097.JPG
    You want the city Mao? You can have it! (Then I declare on him right away).
    Civ4ScreenShot0098.JPG
    Next turn I got the city back. Barracks was even unhurt and no population lost since I had so much culture in it I guess.
    Civ4ScreenShot0100.JPG
    Good guy Mao placed his doomstack on flatland. Some catapults promoted for max collateral damage suicides against it to soften it up. Then it's just an XP feast.
    Civ4ScreenShot0101.JPG
    So kind of Mao to build all these goodies!
    Civ4ScreenShot0102.JPG
    Now I had enough units and wanted to focus on infrastructure, golden age bonanza!
    Civ4ScreenShot0110.JPG

Darius joined in on the war against Mao too, sour feelings from when Mao declared on him early in the game.
    Once Mao is down to once city I get engineering for peace with him and hope that Darius finishes him off to clear all motherland anger soon. He did take his sweet time though.
    Civ4ScreenShot0112.JPG

Guilds is in and I trade for philo with Pacal, Music+Gold with Gilga and next turn I get Paper for Philo with Gilga.
    T168 I reach Nationalism (which some AIs had for some turns by that point. I trade for Gunpowder with Joao.
    T168 I also make peace with Darius after only have gotten 1-2 cities, but Gilga had started plotting so I had to reroute all units toward him. :|
    Civ4ScreenShot0113.JPG

Was very happy to get Taj.
    Gilga is plotting here and I was almost certain that it was against me so I stacked up defence in that border city.
    Civ4ScreenShot0120.JPG

4. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Spoiler T247 :

Gilga got cuirs now and I couldn't wait any longer for him to declare against me, so I go at him instead.
    My economy is a complete mess by now and at the last turn of this Taj GA I swap to slavery+OR and whip courthouses everywhere.
    Civ4ScreenShot0122.JPG

Knights and Elephants are upgraded continiously as gold was pouring in at 0% slider. Once Gilga is down to one city I take peace for PP.
    Gilga had grenadiers, but by accepting slow moving cuirs paired with the trebs that worked out too.
    Once I had peace with him, he started to like me again and I traded for quite alot of techs with him before eventually finishing him off.
    Civ4ScreenShot0129.JPG

By now, I had plans to get a conquest victory which I guessed few would get with no vassals turned on.
    Think I had about 40% of the land area around here.
    Civ4ScreenShot0135.JPG

But next session I played, I forgot to keep an eye on how much land I had, before starting to raze cities. And among building galleons to finish off offshore cities and rolling over Joao and Darius and finishing off Gilga and starting to chip away at Pacal... I tripped the limit.

Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG

Abit annoying to blunder so completely toward the end, but I really enjoyed the map. Getting squeezed early on and having very few strategic resources added alot of challenge.
    Had this been a proper deity game where the AIs stared with the extra settler, I'm almost certain I wouldn't have been able to squeeze out a victory from this map.

Thank you so much for hosting @DynamicSpirit !

Fippy, jnebbe, MirrorGuard and 2 others like this.
  5. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Great write-up, krikav! :thumbsup:

krikav likes this.
  6. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Very impressive, Krikav! It took me until 1890, and it was far from a sure thing. I grabbed what land I could, wherever I could (the big island with 4 cities, one over on that isolated-by-mountains peninsula, one way over on the NW corner of Mayan land) and then beat up Pacal and Persia. Mao was pressing very hard on my borders and always ahead in tech, although I had more units and beat him to Steel (although he got it before I attacked). I ran a few Golden Ages to beef up, but he was still pretty intimidating. I finally decided I had to attack, come what may. I captured his city that was way up north behind my lines, while I stocked my border cities with Mguns, often upgraded from grens with guerrilla or other promos Mguns can't get. Mao attacked my best defended hill city and lost a lot of units. It was still a slog, but his back was broken and from there it was a steady advance until I wiped him out a turn or two before my borders spread enough for Domination. I might replay the beginning to see if I can make worker steals pay off like so many of the better players did. One of the toughest Emperor games I've played! Thanks very much, DS. :)

krikav and LowtherCastle like this.
  7. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@Xcalibrator Sounds like You hade a rally epic game! I love it when you have to resort to settling marginal land and slooowly plot against a superior foe.
    Love your machinegun upgrade trick to let him exhaust his might too, I checked the promotions tree for that exact thing yesterday, seeing that you can get machineguns with charge if you go through a melee unit.

Really nice, and kudos for the grit to iron on, down with Mao!

8. jnebbe

jnebbe Warlord

Pretty funny game :lol:
    Spoiler :

Elephant war went pretty much perfectly, I don't think I lost a single battle when I had winning odds. I REALLY underestimated CHA here, ended up with so many triple-upgraded elephants

I then turned around and fought darius who also put up very little fight. No pics though. I was losing gold at 0% for like 60 turns straight, all my gold was coming from captured cities and I was still able to keep up with GLib+Philo bulbs.

This clown gilgamesh declares on me right when I get my economy out of the negative so naturally I whip several dozen more units and kill my already awful economy

Pacal is like 10+ techs ahead of me but somehow doesn't even have gunpowder, do a couple trades with joao to get nationalism+mil tradition

1500 AD, a little late for a cuir attack lol
    Attack started off a little rocky on account of losing 10 30%+ battles in a row but I have 4x pacal's cities and he's in a lot of trouble

@krikav grats on the W, looked like a real rough deity map

Fippy likes this.
  9. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@jnebbe You where doing +40 gpt at 0% and you where not even building wealth everywhere! Plenty of enough economy. :D

Thanks! It was really nice getting the upper hand over Mao. Damn close call!

10. zbgayumn

zbgayumn Emperor

I made it to 1650 and then I quit in disgust.
    I thought I actually didn't do to badly in the land grab. I squeezed Boston in between Persia and China, which gave me a path to expand one more city to the NE. That gave me 5 cities, which wasn't great but on par with a few of the AI.
    I poured my research into the Astronomy line, and I managed to beat Joao to the large island even though he only needed Optics. I also stuck one city in the pseudo-island that was cut off by mountains and lakes. That got me to 10, and that was the high point. Unfortunately, everything else was kind of a disaster. My research was way behind, my power was low, and I was starting to lose tiles to Mao's cultural pressure.
    Nobody came after me, which was a little surprising, but no major warmongers in this game. It turned into the stereotypical buddhist lovefest. The Mayans were on the outs with Hinduism for a long while, but they eventually dropped it. In the end, I couldn't beat back Mao's insane cultural pressure. He flipped Boston and had almost 50% in New York. I said screw it.

11. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

As I said in the first spoiler, 1 AD had me about to complete HBR and start building elephants. I was hoping for Mao to start a war against Darius, so I could join in. And just as I hoped, Mao declared war on Darius in 175. Mao asked me to join the war in 325, and I was happy to oblige! By 860, I had taken four cities and Mao had taken one, and the Persian Empire was history.

After sending in a spy to be sure that he didn't have a big army waiting for me, I declared on Pacal in 1010 and began the conquest of the Maya. He completed the AP and elected himself to lead it. (The rest of us were all Buddhist.) I had to defy three different votes to end the war, with Mao and Joao voting for peace, each time. By the third of those votes, I'd taken enough of Pacal's cities to prevent the vote from passing. I completed the conquest of the Maya in 1400.

Now I that I had the Hindu AP, I sent a Hindu missionary to one of Gilgamesh's cities. He, Joao, and I were all still Buddhist, with Mao having switched to Free Religion, but as the owner of the AP, I was the sole candidate to lead it in 1480, and I was the sole candidate for Religious Victory on the next vote. And Joao and Gilgamesh voted for me and gave me the victory! :king:

upload_2021-9-6_16-36-37.png

And that was good. Mao had a big army in Beijing and was well ahead of me in tech, so trying to continue for a military victory (as I usually do) would have been a messy business.

krikav likes this.
  12. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Diplo victory also, slightly earlier......
    Spoiler :

........ though based on UN voting ;)

Since Mao started a war against me, I turned the cards around and eliminated him first. Because I still had a solid army I kept going with a DoW on Darius. Took all but one of his 7 cities. This was done around 1000AD. (Gilgamesh took care of that city later)
    Spreaded my army thin on garrison duty and turned peaceful, with additional expansions settling the islands.. Everybody became closest friend now, just +10 diplo was not good enough, but also not that hard to achieve.
    Such a nice non-branched straightforward bulb-paved beeline to Mass Media. With my last GP I got lucky to get the GE for UN (after 7-8 other low odd attempts). This stretched teching ± 4 turns because I missed the GM, but ±10T faster UN.

As it turned out even Pacal alone, the smallest, would be enough support for victory.
    My best friend was Joao though
    Spoiler :

+21 / -2
    Civ4ScreenShot0022.JPG

13. dontworryabouttsunami

dontworryabouttsunami Chieftain

Had a kind of frustrating game... (Emperor)

Spoiler :

I only got to three cities peacefully, and as I was gearing up for a catapult + elephant war against Mao, Darius invited me to join him in his war against Joao. Accepting probably cost me the game; I got most of Portugal, but couldn't turn it into much, and I missed my chance to attack Mao (he got infantry around the same time I got rifles). Then I joined Mao against Darius and got some more cities, but I lost just as many to cultural pressure from Mao in the west and Gilgamesh in the east. By the time the war was over Pacal was making a fast run toward culture, I sent a doomed invasion force against him which perished, and just to rub salt in the wound, Mao attacked me, took three cities and bombed Washington into dust on the turn just before Pacal won culture. It's like, dude, what? Why didn't you bomb HIM? What did I ever do to you?

krikav likes this.
  14. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Joao was very far away, so probably you are correct in that it was a bad choice to join that war (or at least move there).
    But it was a very tough map, really crowded early on!

Thanks for playing and lovely that you shared your experience, welcome to the forums! :)

dontworryabouttsunami likes this.
  15. dontworryabouttsunami

dontworryabouttsunami Chieftain

16. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Me too, i wanted to wait with reaching 66% until i captured Mutal with it's dozen wonders for score..but got 66.37% 1 turn before :lol:
    Spoiler :
    Merci for creating those games, and for deity saves too.

Attached Files:

krikav likes this.
  17. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@Fippy Thats a very impressive game you got there!
    And I thought this map was a challenge... Not so much it seems!

Good job staying laser focused on a streamlined and efficient elepult push early on.

18. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Oh early game was challenging, race for 3rd city (on Rice) with Mao was intense for example :)
    But AIs had not much space to keep up with CHA Jumbocats afterwards, and they were much slower to Longbows than regular Deity.

19. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I went for that spot with New York, I didn't settle on the rice though... Wanted an additional marginal city up in the jungle instead.
    Your play make it abit clear to me that I was kind of stuck in the wrong mindset.

What I think I did was to set myself up so that I was safe and sound and could win even if things went bad. Secured enough cities and secured an economy with GLH.

Just going full tilt jumbocats was clearly superior, thanks for the show!

Fippy likes this.
  20. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I think wrong mindset sounds a bit harsh, sometimes rushes go wrong.
    I haven't done Jumbos for a long time and was set on them, yup.