[BTS] BOTM 219: Lincoln, Emperor - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 219: Lincoln, Emperor - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. I thought the start would be difficult. Did you agree? How are your relations with any neighbours going?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 219, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

I moved the settler to the ivory and then SE for a looksee, then settled E of the ivory. At 1AD I have 5 cities with a settler finally ferried over to the semi-inaccessible peninsula to the E; he'll settle next turn and then I can finally claim some metal. I nearly had the copper site to our NE after some AI razed the barb city there, but they beat my settler with theirs by one turn. City2 took the fish/rice/dye site next to Mao, City3 on the hill east of the warrior, which is turning out to be a nice site as the jungle is cleared. City4 sits on the gold out east with stone and wine--the pigs there are firmly within Chinese cultural control. City5 is up north in the tundra with the fish and cows. I think there's room for another city on the City6 peninsula, and the peninsula to our NW is still unclaimed, although it can't hope to wrest control of the nearby pigs so I'm not sure it's worth it.

34 pop, 731 (2nd) in score, and China is on top with 7 cities and 909 score. Sumer and Persia are bringing up the rear with around 575. I just got Aesth and have some monopoly techs but it's been really hard getting anyone to trade with me, despite sharing Buddhism with most. I have no Wonders but am working on Moai in Washington and then hoping to take a shot at Mids, MoM, etc., at least for failgold. I tried for GLH but lost it by quite a bit--too bad, since all my cities are coastal. I'm working on Literature and will probably shoot for Music. Yeah, more of a challenge than your average Emperor game, but quite fun. :) Thanks, DS.

Last edited:
I settled 1E, and started building WBs.

Our initial warrior soon met Mao to the East. He was too close for comfort, but close enough for efficient worker stealing.:evil: I was able to recruit 3 of them @t14,t27,t35.

This helped a lot with the early expansion. I was able to settle the Iron/Cows/Stone site - it was my 4th or 5th city, otherwise it would have been tough to survive a furious neighbor without strategic resources.

Of course the economy suffered from the early REX and the commerce poor starting area. I did cottage some of the riverside cities, enough to tech to IW/Math and get Alpha from trade, also some minor techs.

To my surprise, Oracle was still available in the late BC's and I manage to finish it in 400BC(!), taking Construction as the free tech. :mwaha:

The turn before that I declared on Gilga, who had stupidly settled on the top of the gold hill near my Iron city and was defending the city with a chariot. City auto-razed but he bribed Mao into this war, just to accept peace next turn. Cool, I was more than happy to kill some straggler invaders in my territory, while amassing catapults for my first serious war.

By 1AD Shangai and Beijing were mine, Mao had 2 cities left, and while the economy was still in bad shape (losing money @0%research), we will finish the Pyramids this turn. With rep-boosted scientist in most cities, Currency will be learned soon enough. BTW, I got 2 GS sleeping, no use in bulbing Compass, they will have better options soon.

America has now 8 cities, 42pop and it's leading the scoreboard.

Spoiler :

upload_2021-8-21_16-21-34.jpeg

I read the warnings about being penned in, but I settled on the ivory anyway. And penned in I was, although I managed to ferry a settler across the bay for a fourth city next to the pigs.

Despite this limitation, I don't think the situation is too bad. I completed the GLH, I have construction and I'm researching HBR, so I'll soon be able to consider an elepult war. Everyone but Pacal is Buddhist, Gilgamesh just attacked Joao, and Mao is annoyed with Darius. If they could go to war first, that would be perfect.

upload_2021-8-21_15-57-8.jpeg

I took the challenger save... And it turned out to be a challenge! :D
Spoiler :

Had this been vanilla deity with the extra settlers. I don't think I would have had a chance. Was boxed in pretty badly right away.
I went early sailing and intened to settle close by the souther fish, but Mao had other ideas...
Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

I did manage to land GLH T63 which was a huge relief. Since I was out of possiblity to settle land I figured I had to beg for some wonder to do wonders. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

I expanded rather slowly because I first went for GLH and then I went for archery and spammed archers just in case Mao would want to kill me.
I never got around to find time to build a library in capital but with GLH I got a GPerson anyway.
I'm on my way to a elepult rush and construction is in here, however most of the cities are soooo slow to get going since they need granary+lighthouse+barracks to start do useful whippings.
Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG

Mao started to plot and I was kind of ready to get a beating, but he did a amphibious assault on darius instead. :)
Civ4ScreenShot0042.JPG

How convenient!
Civ4ScreenShot0048.JPG

Omg omg! All the good stuff Mao! All for me? <3
Here I'm on my way to feud to get longbows to get something that can take a beating except for elephants.
Civ4ScreenShot0057.JPG

Perfect timing, at 1AD I declared.
Civ4ScreenShot0065.JPG

I kind of wanted to build up abit more, but 4 juicy workers just for the taking made me not able to resist anymore. It's a pity Mao and Darius made peace though..

T115 feels abit slow for a elepult attack, but I guess thats what you get from building up with only coastal and slow developed cities and by going for a wonder detour first.
Civ4ScreenShot0062.JPG

I didn't reach 1AD before quitting. Next.

With this slow start, 2 poor seafood, I didn't dare try deity, so stayed with contender emperor level.
Settled the PH because extra production seemed more helpful than getting the better fish tile.

Very helpful to fight the slowlyness was to steal a worker twice, 1 from Darius ±T20, 1 from Mao ±T30 (estimated).
Mao turned very obsessive about it though (almost like a human :)). I had to give him writing for peace much later. And around 400BC he came back with a DoW. I just had the first WE's moving out the gates, so the first victim kinda presented himself.
To raise an army big enough to conquer still took some time.

At 1AD I have 5 cities + 1 city conquered. Marching on Beijing, ±15 WE + some suicide cats deployed.
Curr/Cal/Mon are in. Halfway Aest on the way to Lit for GLib. Produced 1GS for later use.
Forgot to save some pictures and moved on beyond 500AD. So city2 at Rice/Fish. City3 at fish north. City4 at pig peninsula. City5 northeast filling some river area. Mao surprised me snatching the pig/banana. That's the city I have conquered.
Fun to do some elepult fighting. That's quite rare for me.

I assumed tough start meant no horses or metals, so I planned for Oracle -> construction and GLH to keep researching HBR, currency and calendar for happiness. Stole workers from Persia (wish I had done Mao who has 9 cities now).
Conquered most of Persia and Maya with the elepults. My 10th city will be captured next turn.

@MirrorGuard Yeah, Mao is no pushover. Builds alot of units and protective helps him too. He got a large amount of cities too.
Coastal cities are very slow to get up and running. But elephants are strong and there is quite some dry whipping powder in the cities too.

I have submitted the game, so there is some answers to be had as for how it went.

I settled on the PH to the south. I stole a worker early on from China, which I think may have helped in botching up his early expansion, I was at least happy that I could settle to his NW (my NE) before he did. Managed to have a solid little empire of 5 cities while Oracling for construction. Went with elepults for Persia while also finishing GLH, given the not so stellar cities Darius had not sure if I had better gone for the Chinese. In any case, got 4 of his cities and a 5th one auto-razed but would have been more of a burden on the empire than anything else so that was fine. Left him with his last city for now in exchange for Monarchy and some cash. At least got access to horses, I was also lucky to pop bronze in the capital at some point. So 9 cities with tech up to currency, monarchy and CoL within 2 turns, could've been worse. There's still room to settle in the northern tundras with the iron, cows and furs. Probably should push forward a bit on the Mayans next.

Spoiler :

Emperor save, settled on ivory

Saw I would be boxed in super early so pig city was my 2nd city and went for 4 city elephant rush. All techs were done by T89. War went much better than I thought, still have good numbers and captured GLH from Mao. I think I'll take 2 or 3 more Chinese cities then turn around and fight darius a bit, I'd really like to get GLib since I'm philosophical but he's gotten 2 border pops to secure that marble.

Our initial warrior soon met Mao to the East. He was too close for comfort, but close enough for efficient worker stealing.:evil: I was able to recruit 3 of them @t14,t27,t35.

How did you manage that? Picking off the first one by surprise attack (probably in the corner of a BFC?) I understand, but how did you get the next two? All I can figure is using a double movement (Woody2 or Guer2) unit, but unless you got really lucky with barb promos you'd need a barracks, and that seems kinda early.

I got cease fires between each worker steal. Luckily enough all 3 times the chinese worker was trying to improve the ivory to the NE of Beijing IIRC.

How did you manage that? Picking off the first one by surprise attack (probably in the corner of a BFC?) I understand, but how did you get the next two? All I can figure is using a double movement (Woody2 or Guer2) unit, but unless you got really lucky with barb promos you'd need a barracks, and that seems kinda early.
On Emperor and below one worker steal is enough to get a cease fire when the AI is willing to talk.

Fun game, deity save
Spoiler :
3 city Jumbo rush, took most of Mao..then i got bored with him and took 2 of Giggles ;)
Now peace for some techs and on to some from Joao i think :lol:

Meanwhile you can see how Darius attacked me with this very impressive stack.
I switched into his Reli, begged some gold long ago..wondered when he will declare on somebody else..but despite being pleased and me having the most powerful army, he decided nopes i still go after Lincoln. AI Survivor stupidity levels.
2 wars will be fun thou.

Attachments

• linc.jpg
    linc.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 182
Nice @Fippy !
Thats a way more efficient jumbo rush than I managed.
Got on the defensive and abit too scared to lose so I went for GLH to give me some lasting chance.
Also settled 5 cities, and they where slow to develop (cursed coastal cities), so my attack where just getting started at 1AD.

Mao was super sweet and built mids just next door to me though!

Top Bottom