[BTS] BOTM 220 - Saladin, Monarch - Starts 11 Sept

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Sep 7, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 220: Saladin of Arabia.

Can camels live in the arctic? You're about to find out... Saladin plays Ice Age! Have fun! No options selected on this map, but I've removed goody huts from near the starting area. By the way, I think that just like BOTM 219, this is a tough start, although not for the same reasons as the BOTM 219 map.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Saladin of Arabia
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: None
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Ice age
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Tropical
    Sea level: Medium
    Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Saladin is Protective and Spiritual, and you start with Mysticism and The Wheel.

The Protective trait gives free City Garrison I and Drill I promotion for archery and gunpowder units and double production speed of Castle and Walls

The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple and Cristo Redentor

Unique unit: Camel Archer (replaces Knight)
    The Camel Archer benefits from: can withdraw from combat (15% chance), requires knowledge of Guilds, Horseback Riding and Archery, and requires access to nothing. This compares with the Knight which has: cannot withdraw from combat, requires knowledge of Guilds and Horseback Riding, and requires access to horse and iron.

Unique Building: Madrassa (replaces Library)
    The madrassa gives +4 culture/turn (+2 for the library) and allows you to run 2 priests, as well as the 2 scientists the library gives you.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    You play on deity level (but AIs have monarch level starting units)

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 10 Sep 2021, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 11 Oct 2021.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

LowtherCastle likes this.
  2. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

This looks painful. We have food that we cannot improve soon. Might as well settle on the sugar (or sheep).
    When rivals have this kind of start too due to the ice age setting, it's not necessarily a tougher game. I think I will generate some maps first before playing this.

Great that we have something to play though.:)

3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Yeah, that's a pretty harsh start. Worker first while researching Agri (to farm the bananas) and Fishing, followed by a tech crawl to Mining (for the sheep) and BW?? Ice age tropical map--um, OK. Tempted to explore a bit before settling but with those starting techs it probably couldn't help. Deity seems ... unwise. Nevertheless, I eagerly await the game release! :) Thanks, DS!

4. Xcalibrator

What fell beast hath the Mapmaker conjured!? Ice age and tropical climate are an Unnatural mingling, forbidden by Normal Law and game rules!

(I tried to get these settings in a test game and couldn't. My guess is either a typo on "Tropical" or else a wider than usual range of resources on a drier than usual map.)

5. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Or something else. Namely, the map maker used tropical setting on fractal or whatever in the previous usage of the game and so tropical remains as a blurred-out choice under Ice Age. Try it. This occurred 1 million years ago and my understanding of the explanation was that that setting has no effect on the game.

6. Xcalibrator

Aw, that's a much less interesting explanation. But yes, I think you're right. In which case, expect a lot more brown tiles than green on this map, and Many more forests than jungles.

7. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Thanks for a new game, DS! Does not look that icy at all, so far, I was at first expecting a starting screenshot to be mostly ice

8. DynamicSpirit

That is indeed what happened. On checking the map, there is some jungle near the equator but not a lot, so I'm guessing you're right that the setting has no effect. I probably need to review the app that generates the game announcements to remove climate references on map types for which they have no effect.

9. DynamicSpirit

If you're tempted by that plan, you might want to first check whether the bananas have fresh water. Without wanting to comment on this particular map, usually tiles that only touch the source of a river at corner don't have access to the fresh water.

10. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

If the bananas were on the river there’d be a coin visible.

11. Xcalibrator

D'oh, thought it was a river tile, but no. Well then, no rush on Agriculture. Fishing first for food and commerce. (Or am I zero for 3 in my initial suggestions?) Or else go exploring.

12. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Based on what we currently see, the clams are the best food tile and come with two coins.

13. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

So camel archers are like knights but "require nothing" ... I wonder if it comes into play - I mean if we are getting a metal-less and horse-less start?

14. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

“tough start, although not for the same reasons”

Judging from a few Ice Age maps, it appears the biggest difficulty is the food scarcity, leading to small cities and consequently slow research. The second problem will be AIs spread out, depending on the landmass type.

15. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

16. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Oh, this start is quite a puzzle. :D

My first though is to settle on sugar, grow to pop2 while teching fishing and then building a workboat with two 1F2H tiles.

Smiregal and LowtherCastle like this.
  17. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Battling on a difficult map with Sally? Sure why not..
    But i personally cannot play such games with events on, it's all about planning if taking Deity so i will pass.

18. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Still monarch level units though, so some handicap to counteract the confusion of events/huts.
    But I might go contender and try to have some fun with camels.

19. dontworryabouttsunami

dontworryabouttsunami Chieftain

yay goody huts!! for the Timmy in all of us :) (cf. ) (44 minute mark)

20. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Can we get spoiler threads please ?