[BTS] BOTM 221: Brennus, Immortal - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 221: Brennus, Immortal - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 221 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Finished the game with a 1400AD victory. From 1AD on the game was pretty uneventful. Libbed MilTrad and conquered 5 AIs with Cuirs. Thought about going for conquest but Hannibal was close to Rifling and Assembly Line so settled for domination.

Another BOTM loss for me. I finished off Hammurabi, then faced an unexpected declaration from Augustus (I don't think he had been officially plotting). I warded him off though with the help of Alex, then I beelined Steel, got there first and built a big army of cannon (about 25). I went back to war with Augustus but I made a big tactical blunder and lost my entire stack, and I think that was basically the game. I got out of the war but I lost my only opportunity to attack at roughly tech parity (they had rifles, but I had cannons). I stuck it out to the bitter end though -- I thought I was conquered (Alex attacked me at the end) but when I uploaded the save it said "Diplomatic Loss" and I remembered that I voted Alex into a diplomatic victory as he beseiged my last city on the 1-tile island to the north

Civ4ScreenShot0319.JPG

You can take my one vote and choke on it, Alex!

I think I learned some things from this game: (1) fancy maneuvers are for horses, cannons blast through; and (2) don't delay attacking overmuch (and also (3) maybe think twice about early rushes). So I'm confident I will do better in the next one!

My spaceship attempt ended in accidental domination 6T before launch.
Not much to say. Took over Babylonian, Greek, Roman and Sumerian cities. Lived too much on the edge. I returned 3 cities along the way, but kept gaining too many tiles. The last ones got me by surprise of course, otherwise I would have dealt with that.

I tried, but Alexander just ran away with things in my game.

Augustus attacked Alex in 75 AD. In 250 Alex called an AP vote for war against Augustus. I decided to go along with that (planning a phony war on my part, while I continued to beeline for Cuirs) and the vote passed, bringing me and Hammy into it. Hammy made peace in 940, then Gilgamesh joined the war against Augustus in 1020. HC had an army heading my way, so I gave in to a demand for tech in 1060 for 10 turns of peace. I researched MT in 1150, but without enough gold to promote as many HA as I needed to. Rather than attack one of my neighbors, I sent the Cuirs I could upgrade against Augustus. I captured Cumae in 1220...and Augustus immediately capitulated to Alexander. :rolleyes:

While debating what to do next, HC declares on me and captures Cumae. Hannibal joins the war against me in 1260. I give a tech to Alex to declare on Hannibal, and I recapture Cumae. An AP vote brings Hammy into the war in 1360, then Hammy inexplicably turns on two of his allies, Alex and Augustus, while still fighting Hannibal. I sign a ceasefire with Hannibal to concentrate on HC. Hannibal capitulates to Alex in 1480, then HC capitulates to me in 1500. A vote to stop the war against Alex passes with my support in 1525.

I'm researching Steel, planning for cannons for the next round of war, when Alex/Augustus/Hannibal declare war on Hammy in 1645. Not quite being ready, I turn down Alex's request to join in, although I do join the war in 1670. I capture Sippar and then in 1700 I capture Babylon...and Hammy capitulates to Alex. :mad:

Now, thanks to my hesitancy in the war diplomacy, Alex is cautious with me and most of his vassals are annoyed. He begins plotting.

He and his vassals attack me 1740. He has infantry and cavalry, while I still don't have rifles. I know I have no chance in this war. Although I do capture one more Babylonian city while Alexander takes two of the cities I'd captured earlier, I decide to bring the war to a merciful end by voting to give him a religious victory in 1780.

upload_2021-10-8_21-31-19.jpeg

Top Bottom