[BTS] BOTM 222: Louis XIV, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Oct 14, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 222: Louis XIV, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. Did you play contender or challenger? Did you follow my suggestion to explore before settling, or did you just say 'what the hell' and settle in place? Did you manage to fight your way off the island and discover the sacred valley? And if you were playing challenger, how did you find the resourceless start?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 222, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

I took the Contender save. As I said I would in the pregame thread, my settler went NE, NW, then he went NW again and settled on the coast. By 1 AD, I have six cities, one of which is off the island, on the PH north of the copper.

I have not found the sacred valley, but since HC is on top of the scoreboard, it must be pretty nice for him. I wanted to build the GLH, but someone (HC?) finished it when I had barely begun work on it.

3. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

The challenger started out fun. I settled near the river and on the coast, so I could research as fast as this map would allow and get a boat and settler off the island. It's surprising how riverfarms work just fine. With all resources removed, I was expecting to settle some coastal cities across the water that would have resources, but alas, a dry rice, jungled Dye and on the other side a cow was all that was reachable :( No horses or copper. The fun twist turned into a boring wasteland. It woulda been nice if some the resources from our island were pushed out farther instead of deleted. If I finish (doubtful), I'll probably sit on my island and do religious. At least I have the IND trait

Could someone post a screenshot of the starting area on contender please?

4. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

@WastinTime
    Starting area with resources
    Spoiler :

There's also a copper tile acrooss the water on the east rim. so 9 resources have been removed for challenger I assume.
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG

After the opening phase, isn't that when the challenge really starts? Have you met Inca? And maintenance is a killer on this map.
    Though I agree, the surrounding land is saddening, even more if you have nothing to begin with.

As for my own progress.
    I settled 1 tile below cow, a bit too hastily, should have moved on the dye.
    Expanded to 8 cities, 3 on the island , 3 in the east, 2 in the west. Built GLH. Calender/Currency/Monarchy are in. Aest/MC/CoL are not

Produced an army of axes and DoWed WangKon. Conquered 2 cities, then signed peace. His capital appeared too heavily defended, so will not put more effort on him for a while.
    I did get a glimpse of the sacred valley.

5. jnebbe

jnebbe Warlord

Picture this: you're leading a French settling party through the uncharted wilderness, looking for a suitable place to settle down. Your people are tired; they have not seen their family's in years and their bodies ache from the long travels, and you're running very low on supplies, but right before the group rebels against you, you stumble upon this beauty. The gods have sent you a divine gift and you know that your journey has been worth it.
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Seriously, seeing that after desperately looking for a decent city spot cracked me up.

Settled 2E in favor of the river instead of extra forests/hills which I think was really wrong.
    Tech was pottery->mining->bw->fishing->sailing->mystic to monarchy

Thought process was that I wanted granaries asap to bump up the small number of whips I could make, but in reality I only built 1 granary in the capital, as I later thought the hammers were better spent on HR warriors and settlers/workers

Built 2 farms then 2 cottages before sending worker to mainland

Timed a 94/100 whip and chop to get the galley out in 1 turn

2nd city founded T50, 3rd city founded T82

I was toying with the idea of going for oracle, I wasn't sure I'd be able to get CS with it so I was thinking of going for MC instead so I could build cheap libraries and forges. I probably could've but the problem here isn't the tech, it's that I'm expanding so slow so oracle would hurt more than it helped.

I knew I could trade monarchy away if I got it early and it let me grab alphabet from huanya, although none of the other civs had anything good.

t115, 4 cities and 1 settler going to claim some more FPs in the north. Only 3 workers. :lol:
    I just got aesthetics and huanya doesn't have it, I'm rushing GLib since I can't really run scientists with the low food.

As ridiculous as the map turned out, I really enjoyed it and curious how it will play out from here!

6. dontworryabouttsunami

dontworryabouttsunami Chieftain

I never found the sacred valley, and it's probably too late by now; Capac is probably up to infantry or something already (he has all the tech; everyone else pretty slow including myself). I don't really feel like I'll finish this one... Somehow it doesn't really feel like Civ.

This was the resourceless save BTW.

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I've not opened civ in at least 6 months, life has been busy and I've not played anything in the last month. Checked out what games were online and fired up the game with this one. So strange, looking at the game and graphics and whatnot. It looked so unfamiliar, with breads and hammers and huge dudes stomping around. Couldn't remember anything, what screens were where, but sort-of got back into the swing of it. And it was fun to play a bit of Civ again :)
    I used the default save like I usually did in the past. Didn't read the opening very well, couldn't recall what an Oasis map looked like, but probably not like this? Anyway, I settled in place as it seemed a fine enough spot.

By 1AD I only have 7 cities, but I did just whip two settlers this turn, plus one last, so maybe we'll have 10 soon. 5 on the island and 2 offshore. One west and one way north. The green land up there looked enticing, or least crap, but it didn't have anything really, just a thin cow :( At least some grassland and forests, though. Sadly I became the worst enemy of both Brennus and HC this turn. Hc was met quite recently, when an exploring archer finally saw his borders up north. Haven't exactly seen his valley of plenty, but I see a silver and gold just outside his borders, he has a million points with only two cities, so I'm guessing his starting land looks pretty damn good! :D

Once I got Calendar it dawned on me that this land is very huge, I had forgot about the trick to check the scoreboard for land tiles. Kinda doubt I'll be able to finish, as I've not really set up for any early win either. But I'll try to play a little further and see how things pan out.

I do have MC (but no forges yet), and am now trying to steal the Music GArtist. Huayna already has Machinery so I assume he's working on Engineering atm. Crazy little bugger! Had hoped to get HG, but he built it before I had started on an aqueduct. Hopefully I'll be able to finish MoM, though, because he somehow doesn't have Calendar yet. Brennus is a funny man. I don't envy his people. In 100BC they still didn't know how to farm the land, so I gave them the high-brow teachings of Agriculture for 10 gold.

Unfortunately a naughty barb spear just ruined the Deer for us, but hopefully a warrior+archer can deal with him, before I land some settlers to move around. Shame the copper has so poor land around it, but I better grab it. The only other metal I see is smack in the middle of a desert.

Oh, I almost forgot. We also managed to get the Oracle, and I picked Civil Service. So we're strutting around with irrigated farms and Buro. Plus OR and HR. Think the only trades I got was Fishing, Archery, Sailing, Masonry (?) and IW. They suck too much at this level.

Not the best game for sure, and cities were a bit awkwardly placed at times, but here is a picture of our holdings in 1AD.
    Spoiler :
    I haven't met the last civilisation yet.

BOTM 222-1AD, 7 cities.jpg