[BTS] BOTM 225: Joao, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted[

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Nov 17, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 225: Joao, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 225 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Continuing my Contender save report...

I captured Amsterdam in 50 AD, then destroyed the Dutch Empire in 225 by capturing The Hague.

Ragnar's first invasion fleet arrived in 820. From this point on, I was basically fighting a defensive war, particularly with the hope of sinking a fleet before it could land its troops. Triremes to meet the galleys. Carracks against the caravels, and so forth. I made contact with Victoria in 1220 and Isabella in 1240, but neither of them mounted any serious military campaign.

Still, Ragnar's offensive, alone, was more than I could handle. I landed one spy on his home island, which was eliminated on the turn it landed. That one glance was enough to show that I had no chance of mounting my own invasion. Ragnar was first to building frigates, which had a field day sinking all my fishing boats and bombarding my cities. At one point, a lone rifle captured poorly defended Oporto in an amphibious assault; luckily I was able to take it back. I started building ironclads in 1854, which might have thrown the naval battle odds in my favor, but with his special movement bonus plus the circumnavigation bonus, he was able to land his invasion force before I could react, so the best I could do was to sink empty galleons after the troops had landed.

When Ragnar's destroyers appeared on the scene, my ironclads were suddenly good for nothing but target practice, and I saw no point in dragging the game out any further. I retired in 1911. :sad:

Spoiler :

upload_2021-11-27_14-11-47.jpeg

I'll replay the game for fun at Adventurer level.

3. LinkDinkin

LinkDinkin Chieftain

My first time finishing a game on Always War. Pretty intense, but in a way, things are somewhat simpler being laser-focused on military and don't have to worry about diplo.

I made a lot of mistakes, like being in Organized Religion have the game and having no religions :crazyeye:. Also had some happy cap issues without any culture techs.

Managed an 1826 domination using horse archers on Willem, then elepults on Ragnar, and then rifles/cannons on Isabella.

Thanks to map maker for keeping things interesting!

4. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I'm getting slightly better at the higher difficulties, didn't get wiped out until 1984. I didn't save on that turn so I had to reload my 1983 save to get a save when conquered. Submitted even though I reloaded, didn't think it would be a big issue.

5. MirrorGuard

MirrorGuard Prince

I kept Williem alive till AD1100 to farm exp from his archers. Till the end of game in AD 1540 I got 6 great generals and a wood 3 medic 1 axe which has almost the same healing power as a super medic. Thanks for the game.
    Spoiler :

6. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Yeah that should be fine. Usually it's a good idea to PM the mapmaker if you've had to reload, so we know what's happened when we see the reload (And my seeing your post here counts as a PM so you don't need to do that now :lol:). But in general, we know that it's not too uncommon (and quite understandable) that people forget to take a save after the victory/defeat and so have to reload that final in-between-turns bit. Well done on the higher-difficulty improvement!

7. NickTrofimuk

NickTrofimuk Chieftain

This was my first always war game. Strangest part for me was not being able to do any tech trading.

I took over my own little island fairly quickly, getting rid of the dutch. Eventually invaded the English and started to invade the Spanish (and would have conquered them pretty quick) but Viking invasion fleet landed on my shores. Ragnar had Riflemen and I was quite a ways off, so I decided to retire. Somewhere in the 1500s I think it was.