[BTS] BOTM 225: Joao, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted[

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 225: Joao, Emperor - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 225 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Continuing my Contender save report...

I captured Amsterdam in 50 AD, then destroyed the Dutch Empire in 225 by capturing The Hague.

Ragnar's first invasion fleet arrived in 820. From this point on, I was basically fighting a defensive war, particularly with the hope of sinking a fleet before it could land its troops. Triremes to meet the galleys. Carracks against the caravels, and so forth. I made contact with Victoria in 1220 and Isabella in 1240, but neither of them mounted any serious military campaign.

Still, Ragnar's offensive, alone, was more than I could handle. I landed one spy on his home island, which was eliminated on the turn it landed. That one glance was enough to show that I had no chance of mounting my own invasion. Ragnar was first to building frigates, which had a field day sinking all my fishing boats and bombarding my cities. At one point, a lone rifle captured poorly defended Oporto in an amphibious assault; luckily I was able to take it back. I started building ironclads in 1854, which might have thrown the naval battle odds in my favor, but with his special movement bonus plus the circumnavigation bonus, he was able to land his invasion force before I could react, so the best I could do was to sink empty galleons after the troops had landed.

When Ragnar's destroyers appeared on the scene, my ironclads were suddenly good for nothing but target practice, and I saw no point in dragging the game out any further. I retired in 1911. :sad:

Spoiler :

upload_2021-11-27_14-11-47.jpeg

I'll replay the game for fun at Adventurer level.

My first time finishing a game on Always War. Pretty intense, but in a way, things are somewhat simpler being laser-focused on military and don't have to worry about diplo.

I made a lot of mistakes, like being in Organized Religion have the game and having no religions :crazyeye:. Also had some happy cap issues without any culture techs.

Managed an 1826 domination using horse archers on Willem, then elepults on Ragnar, and then rifles/cannons on Isabella.

Thanks to map maker for keeping things interesting!

I'm getting slightly better at the higher difficulties, didn't get wiped out until 1984. I didn't save on that turn so I had to reload my 1983 save to get a save when conquered. Submitted even though I reloaded, didn't think it would be a big issue.

I kept Williem alive till AD1100 to farm exp from his archers. Till the end of game in AD 1540 I got 6 great generals and a wood 3 medic 1 axe which has almost the same healing power as a super medic. Thanks for the game.
Spoiler :

I'm getting slightly better at the higher difficulties, didn't get wiped out until 1984. I didn't save on that turn so I had to reload my 1983 save to get a save when conquered. Submitted even though I reloaded, didn't think it would be a big issue.

Yeah that should be fine. Usually it's a good idea to PM the mapmaker if you've had to reload, so we know what's happened when we see the reload (And my seeing your post here counts as a PM so you don't need to do that now :lol:). But in general, we know that it's not too uncommon (and quite understandable) that people forget to take a save after the victory/defeat and so have to reload that final in-between-turns bit. Well done on the higher-difficulty improvement!

This was my first always war game. Strangest part for me was not being able to do any tech trading.

I took over my own little island fairly quickly, getting rid of the dutch. Eventually invaded the English and started to invade the Spanish (and would have conquered them pretty quick) but Viking invasion fleet landed on my shores. Ragnar had Riflemen and I was quite a ways off, so I decided to retire. Somewhere in the 1500s I think it was.

Cheers for the game, was something different for sure.

Bit confused about the score, ~240k or so (before graded down from challenger) seems low considering i won in 1290AD with 3810 on the scoreboard.
No biggie but does Buffy work correctly there? I remember seeing much higher scores in my normal deity games.
Maybe small map matters?

I submitted an incomplete game. I figured it was better to spend my civ playing time on something more hopeful.
OK, always war setting usually gives me trouble, and this time was no exception. However, it was all my own fault here. I over-expanded and crashed my economy. Deleting the Dutch and getting courthouses gave me hope, but I spent so much gdp on feckless axemen that I forgot all about the advantage of having carracks. I made some use of spies after losing a recently captured barb city to Ragnar. so I had some hope of a win even after resignation. My first attack on a real city was repelled easily by Ragnar, and he was the least advanced... so I am sure my score would only go down from there. I forgot about all the CS slings and GSci bulbing, and failed to go for alphabet (to build research) and currency (to build wealth). So, a miserable effort on a winnable scenario, and I would usually play thru to a bitter defeat, but with just a couple days left, and many hours of playtime required... I think its better I put time into the Christmas map in botm226.

It was a lot of fun, even though I failed to focus on any goals. Destroying the Dutch gave me lots of pleasure.:ar15:

Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish this game. Got tied up with about 9 different Deity games, and halfway forgot to get back to this one. Plus different health issues got in the way. But I loaded up the most recent save to see what I was up to. Had played to 1080AD, and just taken a few English cities. Looks like I have enough forces to keep pushing to a win here. Haven't done anything with the Vikings yet, they were kinda far away. Fittingly the last save had been named "still a long way to go". Looks like it really was... Sorry about that.
Spoiler :
The capital looks in okay shape, working on Taj Mahal.
BOTM 225-T168 capital.jpg

What looks like the main part of the army is in ships, ready to attack Nottingham.
BOTM 225-T168 Nottingham attack force.jpg

Another stack, that recently took the two other cities.
BOTM 225-T168 secondary stack.jpg

Total units so far. Looks like I have what i takes to keep pushing here. These AIs look very weak. And since I quite recently discovered Victoria (and got auto-DOWed), she probably doesn't have a big army prepared.
BOTM 225-T168 army stats.jpg

Others have probably already won the game by now, but still a little sad to not complete. I had already put in a ton of hours as you can see, and I suppose it wouldn't have taken terribly many more hours to win here. Just a lot of ship movement and war micro. There was one more AI too I think? But maybe not needed if going domination, which I suppose the land here could suit. At least post-Ragnar. Looks like he has a decent-sized land over there.

Last edited:
I didn't manage to finish, either, nor even submit my incomplete game. :( Got to around 1000 AD in good shape, belatedly conquering Willem well after most players, it sounds like. I was preparing to attack the English and then Vikings with galleys, having expanded my borders enough to reach the former, and not wanting to obsolete the Colossus with Astronomy just yet.

I submitted a domination victory in 1630AD some time ago, so details are fuzzy, but I wanted to post here to thank @Fippy for the lightbulbing advice given on the 1st spoiler thread. :worship:
By following it in the AD`s I think I done much better in this game than I previously expected.

Submitted a while back too. Went to space early 1800's, see if AW-setting applies to other aliens than the earthly AI as well. Too bad there weren't any.....:)

From 1AD on I filled all the islands between me and Ragnar.
Between 1300 and 1500 I conquered the English deploying carracks/knights/cannons. Unfortunately I needed Astro to connect these cities, so couldn't delay that any longer (bye bye Colossus).

This gets me close enough to the dom limit, so from here I just defend. All this time Ragnar invaded just once with a sword party against my maces/WE's.
With Isa I only have a few late game naval skirmishes after they both get astro/chemistry. (>1600AD or later?, can't tell from the event log). Some more naval battle with Ragnar. Transports are my best war-ships, destroyers too expensive. They never get to Combustion. Just one other invasion with Grens vs Infantry.

Normally I wouldn't go for space on a map like this, or with AW setting. While tech was slowish,, production was fine in the end game, nothing as bad as I thought it would be.

Top Bottom