[BTS] BOTM 226: Suleiman, Monarch - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 1, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 226: Suleiman, Monarch - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, particularly anything after 1AD

Did you win?

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 226 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Well this was a bust. I explored before settling and founded a capital that could not grow because the flood plains nixed all my food.

3. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

In 25 AD, Monty did go to war, but against Louis, instead of me! In 150, when he demanded that I join him in the war, I was happy to oblige. Louis and Monty made peace in 425, but I pressed on and conquered the French by 740. In the meantime, Monty wasted no time in going to war with Brennus.

Thinking that would keep my western neighbors occupied, I attacked Saladin in 880. Having lost only one city, Monty capitulated to Brennus on the same turn. :rolleyes: Luckily, Brennus was friendly with me, which wasn't outweighed by Monty being annoyed. I captured most of the Arab Empire, when Alexander joined me in the war and captured the final Arab city in 1260.

I attacked Alexander in 1430. After capturing five of his cities, I accepted his capitulation in 1535. In the meantime, I had circumnavigated and had contacted Justinian. Who had not been showered with presents by our map maker, as I had earlier feared. :)

After moving my forces to the western front, I attacked Brennus and Monty in 1570. After I captured two Celtic cities, Monty broke free from his vassalage, but he still won't negotiate with me. Brennus bent the knee in 1595. After taking all of the continental Aztec cities, I generously accepted Monty's vassalage in 1620, from his remaining one-square island home.

On the same turn, I declared war on Justinian. (Mistake here--with very few coastal cities, I should have started whipping galleons much earlier than I did.) I captured two cities, including Constantinople, and Justinian capitulated, giving me a conquest victory in 1655.

4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Yeah that's something you have to be careful of if there are lots of flood plains around. Each flood-plain in the BFC gives you 0.4 unhealthiness. If there are quite a few, then you need to figure out if you have enough health to counter that until the city grows. At the start of the game, the only health you'll get will be from being riverside, or 0.5 from each forest in the BFC, plus a bit of intrinsic health that all cities get, depending on the game difficulty level.

5. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

I finished one for a change :goodjob: Nice casual game. Nothing spectacular.
    All that food, Pyramids, and the PHI trait inspired me to bulb my way up to Mass Media and do Diplo. I think It's been years since I did that.
    I almost switched to Space, but I just don't wanna put in the time for that. I didn't wanna build all the workshops, etc.
    A financial leader and cottages woulda been fun. I farmed.
    One fail: I was wise enough to bulb my last born Scientist into Electricity BEFORE trading for free Engineering because once I did, scientists have to bulb Chemistry first. However, I forgot that I also just got the free scientist from Physics and didn't bulb that one before the Engineering trade :o
    Killed Brennus, Monty, and Sal with Elepults.
    Louis voted for me. Other than that, I had to use avoid growth so I wouldn't go over the pop limit for self-voting.

6. nocho

nocho Deity

In the end I deviated from my plan to go to space and went conquest. I was attacked by Monty just before 1AD when preparing for the French, so rerouted units and eliminated the Aztecs. Meanwhile prepped a stack for France and left him with 1 city, extracting some techs. While reinforcing the Aztec veterans in order to add Celtia to the empire, my buddy Saladin offered to be my vassal. I hadn't realized he was at war with Greece and its newly acquired French vassal, so I got in war with them unexpectedly. Nothing serious came my way though, so signed peace when possible and went on with the Celtic campaign, adding it all to the empire, with as a main prize a quite juicy shrined Jewish holy city, the main religion of the continent. Then moved the whole bunch all the way NE to vassal Alexander and definitively eliminate Louis. Meanwhile got astro and MT and sent an invasion fleet to Byzantium. Justinian wouldn't bend the knee until he was totally eliminated and so got the victory in 1330AD.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  7. LinkDinkin

LinkDinkin Chieftain

Fun game, thanks for the map which had me puzzling on some strange tiles to work with.

I started with axes on the French and then went for catapults/trebs against Brennus and everyone else.

Somehow I ended up building Pyramids and Hanging Gardens in the capitol which resulted in back-to-back engineer bulbs for both Machinery and Engineering! So most of my game was fighting with trebs. I went for Domination, building more settlers than capturing cities, and thankful that the main landmass had enough room to get me over the dom limit.

8. Tonny

Tonny King

Very fun map. Who knew that anything could grow on snow :crazyeye:. A bit disappointed that I did not find santa anywhere...:lol:

A brief history...
    Spoiler :

I left of at 1AD researching Feudalism and got it 150AD. This turned out great!!! Sally immediately peace vassaled to me and was a great help. I received the following techs from him: Archery, Meditation, Aesthetics, CoL, Literature, Paper, Optics, Theology, Guilds, Banking, Replaceable Parts and Drama.
    This made it possible to (partly) bulb a lot of techs and get to some critical techs to receive gps.
    Bulbs: Philosophy (375AD), part of Education (560AD), part of Printing Press (580AD), part of Astronomy (800AD), part of Chemistry (820AD), part of Scientific Method (840AD), triple bulbed Physics (1000AD).
    I was first to Music, Liberalism (for Steel), Economics and Communism. Triggered a total of 3 golden ages with the help of those free great people and a few of my own.
    In the BC's I already killed Louis, but had a real big stack left. I used that to wipe out Monty first. He was gone by 375AD.
    Later, after some healing and positioning, I decided to go after Brennus and his holy city with a shrine. At 680AD he switched to Caste and now was the time to attack. 900AD and 4 cities later I extorted HBR in a peace deal. Not a bad result. He still had 2 cities left, but refused to capitulate. By 1060AD he did another switch to Caste, so I decided to go to war again to take his last city on the mainland (he also had a crappy 1-tile island city I did not want). A few turns later and a city richer we made peace again.
    Only Alexander is left to conquer on my way to victory. At 1120AD it was time to take him out. I had just researched Military Tradition and already quite a few Knights to start with. He posed no challenge and I captured all of his with Cuirs and eventually Cavs and Airships. He was gone by 1210AD.
    During the last war I was already building settlers to get me over the Domination limit. Game was finished by 1240AD.
    Footnote:
    Poor Justinian... Totally ignored all game... :lol:

Thanks @DynamicSpirit for making this map. The ice/snow posed a real challenge to optimize workers. :thumbsup:

9. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I trudged my way to a Diplo win on the Deity-lite save. Didn't get around to taking out France until well into the AD's, then Celtia (who attacked me while I was busy with France). Meanwhile, the Aztecs has vassaled to Arabia, and I didn't feel strong enough to take on Greece yet so I went for Byzantium. Then shipped everything back to attack Greece, who took quite a beating before they submitted. (I vassalled all these civs rather than finish them off--too costly for me in terms of units and/or time, and I also got a lot of techs in trade and could boss them around for research. They were all completely useless as far as helping me in wars, though.) Finally I took on the Arabia/Aztec behemoth, who were still a bit ahead of me in techs, although even in terms of military research. I had good success on the first four Arabian cities, but it was starting to become an ugly slog, so I took the offered opportunity for a Diplo win when it came up in 1828. Finally finished a game for the first time in awhile! Thanks, DS, I enjoyed it.

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

This map ended up being painful. Hadn't played for a long time due to neverending migraine, and once I picked it up again I found it kinda boring, because it was just about getting to a win one way or another, with AIs pathetically hopelessly behind, with barely any cities between them.

Monty had DOWed me, but was willing to capitulate when he lost a few units while attacking, and then lost a city. I took it. This was the first move after picking up the game again after almost a month off. Brennus next. I left him with one city for tech "trade" reasons. About two turns before I had gotten units in place to attack Saladin, he offered his vassalage. I knew that was bound to be a bad idea because I was aiming for domination, but I still took it. Then declared on Alex, after a loooooooong walk. No capping here, we needed every square inch of land. Thankfully it turned out we had enough on the continent, so I didn't have to get Astro and settle some pish elsewhere.

Ended up with a bunch of wonders. The AIs basically did nothing, and with hammers invested here and there in different wonders, I decided to build at least some of them. Was almost done with AP and Sistine at the win, and otherwise had probably self-built around 10. Very unusual.

Got over the line by a hair this turn, but two more settlers would have founded cities otherwise, so the delay would only have been one turn. There was a little extra land here and there, but not much. I had settled in my vassals' face to steal their tiles to get by (couldn't be bothered to count tiles until the very end).

Anyway, with Louis (very early) and Alex dead, and Brennus at one city, domination was reached in 1260AD. The capital was definitely not much to brag about, but it got by okay. Built Heroic Epic there, as no other cities had hammers, and with Buro it could almost 1-turn Cuirs once we got that far, and it 1-turned knights for a long while. I fought with them btw, though the main army was a treb+mace etc stack. The army wasn't big, mind you, because it wasn't needed. Usually only a few defenders in each city. Really pathetic. Seems like all this ice made the AI underperform pretty badly. Probably because they don't whip nearly enough unless in a war and trying to defend cities. Which meant they expanded slowly and didn't have an army.

Mostly I'm glad to get to the end of this one, as it's very close to the deadline now, and my migraine only somewhat ceased yesterday, after almost constant hell for three bloody weeks.

Spoiler A few pics :
    BOTM 226-T186 Domination win.jpg

Had three leftover great people. The GM would have carried out a trade mission this turn (probably 1100g again), and the two others could have been used for another 12t golden age. For some reason GEs were raining from the sky in this game. Used one for the first GAge, and spent one on Taj just because I could.
    BOTM 226-T186 Three excess great people.jpg

The capital was fairly lousy in all honesty, and it stagnated at size 13, which even needed a icy windmill to not shrink down again. Sure, I could have farmed over a town or two, but who wants that? (except AI workers)
    BOTM 226-T186 Capital.jpg

Hopefully I can get into the groove on 227 instead. All these iceplains were nice for cottages, however everything got kinda "samey" and I definitely lost focus in this game.

11. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

I did not have time to finish this one, just played a bit beyond 1AD, but enjoyed it a lot, a fun and unique game. Thanks @DynamicSpirit.