[BTS] BOTM 226: Suleiman, Monarch - First Spoiler - 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Dec 1, 2021.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 226: Suleiman, Monarch - First Spoiler - 1AD

I enjoyed reading the speculation in the pregame announcement about what a North Pole! map might look like. Were you surprised or disappointed by what you found? Did you find somewhere good to settle?

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD

Reading Requirements
    If you are participating in BOTM 226, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
    • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
    • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
    • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Fine_Distinction likes this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Started on this one and decided to play until 1AD, before I need to go back to 225.

I settled 1E, which was okay but probably not great. Grabs 5 FPs + Cow. Second city was put further east, hoping to gain the horses from Louis that we had learnt about. Sadly that didn't work out, even in inner ring he controlled it for a very long time. But it did give us the chance to steal some workers that tried to improve it, so it wasn't all bad. Also a nice surprise to discover copper. Suited us well, because Louis had to die.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 226-T48 copper and horses.jpg

God knows why that archer moved out, but he did :crazyeye:
    Spoiler :
    There was a settler in the capital, but he moved the other way. There was a worker too, but he must have been deleted. I found him nowhere afterwards, and he had been improving the ice cow.

BOTM 226-T85 archer moves capital.jpg

At this point he had already settled north of our capital, a city with 12 FP + 3 jungles. Not the healthiest spot! :lol:
    Spoiler :
    By now the settler that ran away east of Paris had returned, and we were able to capture him and convert him to worker duties.

BOTM 226-T92 Orleans captured.jpg

Speaking of workers, it always felt like I was short on them -- as expected pre-game really. And that's after capturing five from Louis. I've had to whip pretty heavily to try to get on top of the situation, so the pop count at 1AD isn't very impressive, but that's just how it is. I needed more. Also whipped a few settlers.

Our third city went on top of the stone, which was possible due to where I settled the capital. We built Mids there. Oracle kept being available, so I actually nailed that one in Istanbul. For a time I thought about the Engineering bulb, but it seemed a little costly due to so many Calendar resources, plus missing Sailing too. So I "ruined" it by going Fishing at some point. The first GS built an Academy, and we'll see who comes out next. Chances are it's a GE, in which case I'll probably opt to build MoM instead of bulbing MC. If it's a GS, I'm not sure. Brennus has bulbed Philo. Maybe I'll just save him for Edu or something like that.

It would have been easier to simply go on the warpath here, but I'm a sucker for floodplains and just want to grow cities and develop the economy. So I've kinda done that instead. Diplo... could be better though.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 226-T97 bad diplo.jpg

Somebody were bound to start plotting eventually, and to everybody's surprise, it was Monty. By then we had accepted Saladin's demand to convert to Confucianism. That kinda hurt, because Judaism had auto-spread to 5-ish cities, while we only had Confu in one. But diplo improved instantly, and Brennus is now Pleased. Which enabled trade. Brennus is the only one with Alpha, so now at 1AD I decided to put a turn into it and finally get it. Got IW from him earlier, but only have CS now, which I don't want to give him.

With Monty plotting, I aborted the MC and suchlike tech choices, and went for Construction+HBR to enable elephants. I'm still in REXing and growing mode, but if he comes with something, hopefully we can deal with it in time.

An overview shot of the cold empire, at 10 cities currently. Many more nice places to grab, but the AIs are finally started to expanding in the north. They seem terribly slow, though.
    Spoiler :
    BOTM 226-T115 map.jpg

As usual I don't have a clear idea of how to win at this point in the game. We haven't met the last AI yet, but I assume he or she is isolated somewhere. Would be pretty easy to smash all these guys with elepults and then get domination or something, but it's fun to cottage up this great land too. It's such a different map to everything else we play, so it feels like a bit of a waste to go for an early military win. But we'll see. I'm probably late to that already in that case, but not sure I want to invest a hundred hours and go to space either, hah.

3. Powerfaker

Powerfaker Warlord

Settled 2S1E. Most importantly it's next to the cow.
    Although Louis was nearby I couldn't find the time to remove him sofar. No time for wonderbuilding either, not even replace the mine by a quarry on the stone. All resources were consumed by expansion and infra.
    So my main focus was on claiming the floodplain areas up north and northwest + claiming happies
    At 1Ad 8 cities, most of them well developed with infra and starting to pump elephants to crush Louis finally.
    I also have to guard myself from Monty who has 5 Jaguars in a border city. Looks like he will attack soon.
    The 4C are in (Curr/Cal/CoL/Const) on my way to CS. No Mon this time, for happies relying on Hammam + fur/ivory/gold. A few plantations next and I will build markets for a change (well, whip/chop actually, like almost everything).

This map is BIG by the way (see after calender). Is this some kind of terra map? I didn't scout any AI land sofar, so I may be mislead here by there closeby presence with an average of 4 cities. My 8 cities cover 13% land area, so in theory there is room for 65 cities?
    Anyway, curious to find out if there is something else out there........

The empire:
    Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0046.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0045.JPG

4. MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st Prince

Contender save. I settled SE. The computer suggested my next city go to the NE of that, but I chose to go east along the river, for the trade route. Louis promptly settled into that gap and started applying cultural pressure on Edirne.

By 900 BC, all of the early religions had been founded, but nobody had adopted a religion except for Brennus and Monty going Hindu. I also converted, for the diplomatic bonus. (This is also where I started to suspect that the undiscovered sixth AI might have been given a very generous starting area and might have cornered the market on religions.) But by 475 BC, Brennus had founded Confucianism and both he and Louis have converted to that. OK, I convert again, to keep my two closest neighbors happy. :rolleyes:

At 1 AD, I have five cities and the Great Wall. Monty is plotting, presumably against me.

5. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

By 1AD, I have 7 cities (just finished conquering Louis this turn) but only 34 pop. The game so far has been much easier than expected (not complaining!) - seeing all this ice I was afraid it will be more of a gruesome struggle with lack of food and resources similar to recent BOTM with Saladin (iirc). But so far ice flood pains so generously given to us by map maker seem enough to develop fast, just have to keep in mind that resource tiles typically are bad in this game :crazyeye:. I initially thought that grabbing health resources should be my top priority, but health problems are not an issue anymore except for my 2nd city - I settled it in a place where @Pangaea was laughing at Louis for - I misunderstood how unhealthiness is calculated, I somehow thought all tiles in future BFC count.

Generally, I am enjoying very much this unusual game and wondering/hoping there are more surprises. So far have no clue who the last AI is and generally just beginning to scout more, initially did not scout much since barbs were rather vicious.

AI placement on the map is interesting, Louis was surprisingly close, but there also seem to be still large swathes of unclaimed land.

I am still not sure how I want to play this, trying to keep my options open, earlier I even just accumulated gold since I could not decide what to research. The only clear thing was that Louis had to go :D He was annoyingly close, blocked horses from me, was creative, and I managed to stole only one worker from him - so keeping him alive was clearly pointless :lol:

Surprisingly, I am leading in military without even trying - which is very unusual for me. Also uncharacteristically, AI beat me to both Confu and Philo, in spite of spamming cottages. Fortunately, Confu was discovered by Louis, so I got my Holy City eventually, but had to research CoL manually.

Wrt to diplo, Louis started to plot at some point, but since I was planning to attack him soon, didn't matter. Greeks also started plotting at some point, but since I did not even knew were they were, I did not take it personally.

Going back to my adventure in this Iceland - very enjoyable game so far, thanks @DynamicSpirit :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  6. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

The one with 12 floodplains? It's a great city for sure, but not until you have quite a few health resources to counterbalance all those FPs. Could probably be a fantastic capital, though, with Buro and 18 cottages or however many there are room for.

In the pre-game discussion I wondered if the map would have more normal land elsewhere, but seems like this time there are iceplains everywhere, more or less. And judging by AI cities by 1AD, they haven't handled it all that well. Only 3-5 cities for most of them, also judging from scoreboards in other updates. Maybe they don't whip enough unless in a war.

7. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Yep, generally it is a very good spot - but not for a 2nd city on this map. IIRC was unhealthy immediately after settling at size 1 :crazyeye::lol: First time for me, but was good learning experience.

Yeah, I know that with an Imp leader a natural play would be just whip settlers. I think I was a bit too slow and Brennus took my intended spot so I decided to conquer Louis instead, probably going for Brennus next, depending on what my scouting would reveal.

I found a non-ice tile - but it was tundra :cry: so not really an improvement. Looks like this is indeed Iceland Wonderland, fittingly for winter holidays.

8. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I found it kinda funny when I went to chop away some jungle. "+1:food:" the tool tip said. No food was given :(

9. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Was this jungle on ice? Did you actually think the ice would give you +1 food if you chopped the jungle? ;)

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Haha, no ofc I didn't think it would give me food, but I found it amusing that the tooltip was incorrect. It was indeed jungle on ice. Oddly enough, we don't get much of that in the real world :D

DynamicSpirit likes this.
  11. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

I don’t know if this is a thing or not but I’m not seeing any forest spread onto ice either.

12. Fine_Distinction

Fine_Distinction Prince

Yep, I hoped so. Weirder things happen in civ :nono:. Also game algorithm seems to be confused by all this ice and city settling recommendations seem worse than usually

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  13. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Deity

Ice on river hill also negates the +1:commerce:.

MirrorGuard likes this.
  14. nocho

nocho Deity

Fun game so far! I settled 1SE and have expanded to 10 cities so far, 76 pop. I went for early stonehenge and also got the great wall, Pyramids and Hanging Gardens in the capital and the GLH in one of the coastal cities. Grabbed two french workers early and was planning to expel the French next, but just got DoWed by Monty, so I'll take care of him first. Also not sure what VC to go for, like Pangaea I enjoy all those flood plains so might go for space, though of course all the icey flat tiles that are not riverside are a bit useless under communism. We'll see. ;)

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

15. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Nobody else took the Deity-ish save? Bummer. I settled SE and have 7 cities with 35 pop. 4th out of 6 in score with 703 vs the leading Celts' 872. Got the Mids in 25 BG and Oracle (for Currency) in 375 BC. Wasn't able to nab the ivory site but I did get the gold to our west, and have recently settled two coastal cities up to the NE with gems, clams, and spices. Two cities will eventually go in the south to get deer+fur and marble+horses. I'm doing OK but not great. Was planning to take out Louis but have probably missed that window of opportunity--losing the ivory site to him hurt. I need to make good use of the Philosophical trait if I'm going to win this.

16. Tonny

Tonny King

Hiya,
    cruising on this map :D

Spoiler :

Currently at 11 cities with 46 pop.
    I settled 1E for cow and pig. Leaving room for a city on the stone. First tech was AH to improve cow AND pig. This is a hammerpoor map and I'll need the food and the hammer from pig to build settlers. The 50% bonus production is nice when you have 4 after improving both. You could say that the pig tile then is a 6 yield tile.
    Early discovery of Louis and knowing that there is horses near I pondered about settling close to him, but soon learned it would be a futile excercise.
    My second city went north between the sugars and corn to block Louis and give me more space to expand. Third city even went further north to claim rice and banana. Health is a big issue here!
    City 4 was to claim gold and ivory for later happiness and number 5 to claim the irrigated corn nw. This was all done by 1720BC.
    After AH I went straight for BW to see if there's any copper near, but mostly for whipping with this surplus of food. I was already roading north to connect my first two cities and I got lucky. I already built a road on the copper that was found. Early improvement of this tile even helped me more with building settlers! (In effect another 6 yield tile due to the 50% production bonus towards settlers)
    Now it's time for pottery and writing for commerce and the ability to build libraries. So much food! Scientists will get me further and being Philosophical is great!
    Slowly building the infra and some more cities to get up to 7 total (number 6 on the stone and number 7 on the coast west of the capital to claim clam and the discovered copper.
    I figured building the mids will help me to deal with the happiness (respresentation) and get some boosted science from scientists. Finished it 225BC in city 7.
    After writing I went mysticism-fishing-masonry and math (800BC). I want more happiness and health! Some cities need hammams to support their growth and the ability to use all the fp cottages I'm putting down.
    Now I was able to trade some. Sally was kind enough to tech alphabet fairly soon. End result of all these trades was that I got alpha, poly, sailing, IW, mono, priesthood, monarchy and hunting.
    I self teched currency-construction-calendar-metal casting and on my way to feudalism.

Louis has to go!
    With early copper I decided that at some point Louis is not my friend. With 7 cities it's easy to get enough axes and going for construction the pults will even help me more. By 275BC it was time to annihilate him. Only 10 turns later I got all of his cities with barely any losses.
    Due to being in war mode for quite some time I have a reasonable army at 1AD. (19 axes, 18 pults, 4 swords and a spear)

Religion is going well! Only Monty is in a different one, so I have no problem to send my stack towards him soon.
    It's time to grow again and put all my cottages and scientists to work. :D

LowtherCastle likes this.
  17. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

Contender save, settled SE. Not too happy to discover later that the nearby copper & iron could be connected but not be worked by any of my cities. :cringe:
    Went worker 1st & AH.
    Met Louis early and discovered horses, so decided to build a settler right after the worker to claim them, or at least to steal french workers there.
    However, our evil mapmaker selected AIs which are bound to love each other, so after a few DoWs on Louis I was everybody`s worst enemy. :devil: This little inconvenience was dealt with later by adopting the prevailing religion.
    Anyways, after some REXing supported by intense cottage-spamming, I reached 1AD with 10 cities and 68 pop, counting with Paris which was captured this exact turn.

Spoiler :
    upload_2021-12-21_15-40-20.png

Not sure of the VC I`ll be pursuing, but definitely want to make good use of janissaries and levees, so probably will be conquering some neighbors on my way to space.

It has been a fun game, thanks @DynamicSpirit ! :hatsoff: