BOTM 240: King Arthur - Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

MarleysGh0st

King
GOTM Staff
BOTM 240: Arthur, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD. Is Britain becoming great?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 240, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

I rage-quit due to a stupid error. Public Service Announcement: Bears (and I assume other animals) can use roads and catch unprotected Settlers out there!

I took the Deity save because I love humilia... er, a challenge. Doing OK, so I have hope, but once I see that the real Deity players have already taken several AI cities I'll feel bad. I settled east of the silver and at 1AD I have 11 cities and 59 pop; Wales has 13 and the others have no more than 9. Score is 512 in 5th; leaders Saxony and Wales have 657 and 645, significantly above the rest of us. I just got Literature and will have the MoM in 2 turns; I'll probably build the Great Lib in various places for fail gold. Relations with my neighbors on the Isles are OK, but it will be very bad if they decide to attack because my defenses are pretty weak--basically only building units for HR happiness. I have some settlers headed out to Cornwall to grab a couple spots but Wales has already beaten me (with a large stack) to take a barb city on the southern coast, and they settled the spot where culture could make a bridge to France. :( Anyway, I'll have about 15 cities once I settle where I can. I'm thinking I should attack Scotland first, since I can defend along a fairly narrow neck of land up north. He's doing quite well in tech, though, despite fewer cities. Thanks for the fun scenario, MG. :)

Very fun game, I of course don't like challenges nor humiliations so I took contender. ;)

I also settled east of silver when the cows were detected. My warrior stumbled soon on the Autonomous Collective, and when the defending archer attacked my warrior and lost, I remembered something about free wins against barbs on Noble, so let my warrior heal up to be sure and attacked the remaining defending warrior for an early extra city. I slow-built Stonehenge there, which also seemed to be located roughly in the right historical location. After that I kept harrassing the Welsh for some workers and focussed op expansion. The barb crossbow that seemed to be defending Castle Anthrax eventually wandered off north and was caught in the wild by a couple of chariots. At 1AD I'm at 19 cities and 104 pop, 2 cities overseas, one at the the Isle of Wight and the other across the channel for a future beachhead. Of course couldn't help myself but wonderhog, beside SH got GLH, Oracle (for CS), Colossus, Pyramids and MoM, while Hanging Gardens and Parthenon are nearly done. Currently at war with the Welsh again, should be the last time. Curiously just saw a unit of the last unmet AI in a green workboat, but that did not establish contact. Currently teching Guilds to take control of the entire island, after that probably will head to space, seems like a very fun map to play out until the end. :goodjob:

Took the challenger save. Settled 1SE to gain the fish and marble. All of this grassland and gold and silver has lead to a very strong start! Built the oracle and got metal casting. Then tried for GLH but Scotland beat me to it. So then built Colossus and hanging gardens. Currently 3 turns away from MoM and then Great Library is next. In a few turns I'll have CS and music to start a GA. I'm first in score at 14 cities now. And the Welsh have blocked off further expansion so I'll probably start a medieval era war with them once I get macemen.
Spoiler :
Missed CoL religion by one turn 😭.
Managed to beat the Welsh settler to found Petuaria by one turn.
Screenshot (14).png

1AD. Building Parthenon for some failgold.
Screenshot (15).png

Challenger save. Settled 1SE. Built 5 cities, took 1 barb city in the first stage. Then joined the war started by Scotland against Wales and took 6 cities with the Pyramids, the Great Wall and TOA. Built 29 horsearchers lost 13. It looks like a good deal.

I know little about European history. I just wonder why no king or emperor managed to conquer the whole Europe like what we do in the game?

My warrior stumbled soon on the Autonomous Collective, and when the defending archer attacked my warrior and lost, I remembered something about free wins against barbs on Noble, so let my warrior heal up to be sure and attacked the remaining defending warrior for an early extra city.

Dennis:
Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

:D

Challenger Save.

Lots of fun at the start with the Crossbow wandering around Castle Anthrax for the longest time. :)
Took a stab at Oracle very late and got a surprise success around 1200BC.

Morgan got a free barb city to end the starting war when she was still on 3 cities.
Will beat on it soon to get 10xp for Heroic Epic.

Made a huge error meeting a new AI.
Instead of gifting 10:gold: to get to Pleased, I pressed next turn.
Next turn, at Cautious he demanded 160:gold: and I said no.
He immediately in 0.1 seconds started plotting war. :cringe:
Gifted 10:gold:, still not pleased with +4 diplo to try a 10:gold: beg, and I had not enough military power to demand 10:gold:
25 turns later when he is pleased, I begged 10:gold: and there is still a fist, so I wasn't able to turn off his planned war in that way.
Sigh. Might just DOW him and bribe everyone to join in. Nip the problem in the bud.

Main problem right now is the map appears to lack happiness resources in the tiny bit I've explored, so my usual whipping tendencies will need some rethinking.
The natural expansion phase is just about over.
Can't decide if I want to turtle up and tech or expand with war.
The flat map and barb galleys mmm
Spoiler :

Fun map - England's green and pleasant lands!!

At 1AD I have 9 cities and great relations with my Welsh cousins based on out mutual Jewish religion. Got Autonomous thanks to free Barb wins (both on defence) like @nocho.

Hoping to make Romano-British culture dominant but only have the aforementioned Judaism and Christianity having started late on that path.

Have met my Nordic neighbours but not the Warrior Queen!

For once I foresaw something. Seeing Castle Anthrax was fun. There was no Grail but the maidens were very friendly... I even recall seeing a message that mentioned Castle Aagh (or something like that) being founded. I can't remember what happened before 1AD so I won't say more. Oh, and since I like to play and not lose at once I took the contender save.

Top Bottom