[BTS] BOTM 246: Santa Claus, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 246: Santa Claus, Noble - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD . How did you find the icy start?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 246, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Contender save.
Very interesting and original map! :goodjob:
I know we have played XMas games on icy maps in the past, but this one starting on the Antarctic continent felt special, even more so with our wolves reindeer scouts. Actually they got us the circumnavigation bonus very early.
My own game left a lot to be desired thus far. Only 5 cities/16 pop at 1AD. Tech went up to CS. Got no wonders, thought about building GLH but it went surprisingly early for Noble.
My exploration outside our starting landmass was very limited. Two AI found us, and I even learned Alpha from one of them.
Plan is to cottage all those snowy floodplains and eventually pursue a spaceship victory.

If Conquistador 63 had a slow pace in this game, mine must have been glacial. Only 3 cities built by 1AD. I made a weak effort for the Oracle, but someone beat me to that in 175 BC.

My plans for the reindeer to gather goody hut gifts were disappointed, since apparently nobody leaves gifts for Santa (excepting all the milk and cookies that make him a prime candidate for obesity and diabetes). The reindeer did circumnavigate in 2760 BC, before they were killed off by barbs after moving too incautiously.

I took the Emperor save and that must be the reason my 1 AD status is so far behind C63 and MG, yes. Uh, 2 cities, 8 pop. I tried building Stonehenge and missed it by 1 turn (1800 BC). GLH (375 BC) and Oracle (225) went to the AI without me really mounting a challenge. I've only met 2 AI and my reindeer are long dead. I settled N of the copper, to get both the silvers. Settling 1 E of there would have been better in the long term, and probably in the short, too. On the bright side, nobody has tried to invade and take my fruitful lands from me. ;)

Very interesting, rather challenging, but very enjoyable game - thanks @DynamicSpirit !

I am doing doing similar to @Conquistador 63, slightly behind in techs.

I frankly thought I would be doing much better, but last couple centuries I had to whip some of my cities literally to the ground to deal with sudden onslaught of barb axes, and my poor settler had to hide for way too many turns lol

but overall very interesting. Frankly based on the initial screenshot I thought it would play very similar to the Suleiman Xmas game but so far feels very different.

metal-detecting with "reindeers" was a lot of fun, but got killed too quickly - rip.

not sure what to do next.

metal-detecting with "reindeers" was a lot of fun, but got killed too quickly - rip.

Yeah, I've sometimes wondered why Firaxis put that restriction on animals - as it seems pretty pointless in a non-modified map. Was it intended or just an unintended bug? I suspect we'll never know, but it's certainly a useful thing to add variety to GOTMs!

Quite an odd but interesting game indeed! As we were clearly on the southpole and the food resources didn't look appealing with any FP being better than an improved deer or sheep (or wheat) on the non-river ice, I wandered to the north east and was happy to find some fish within some turns. Even with just 3 FPs in the BFC, though no fresh water, the health problem was quite noteable. As others, the pop stats aren't very impressive though at 1AD, just 4 cities and 17 pop, at least the capital is half decent with 8 pop. I'm half way building the GLH there, not sure if I get it. Unfortunately with 4 turns to go, got beaten to the Oracle, though I had CoL and math already for the CS sling. :gripe: Anyway, there's a settler on the move too, while I did get to conquer a barb city.

My reindeer were viciously attacked by barb "reindeer" just before getting circumnavigation... A WB got it later anyway. I've been found by 3 AI so far, just got to some exploring myself with that WB.

Took the Challenger save (It is actually Monarch difficulty)

Settled 1S and already maxed out health due to 12 flood plains and 4 sickness.
Explored a bit and found a better spot for capital. Oh well!

Noted where the invisible resources were which influenced the capital decision. Got lucky with double Bronze! :)
Farmed, farmed, bronze, deer.
Next health source was the clams and fish on the river to the top left which flowed down the river without a road.
Then the wheat and sailing to the top right.
Not used to 1-pop whipping back-to-back settlers at Size 2 70/100:hammers:, but it needed to be done.

Random event, one of my forest 2 capital burned down and I went into sickness at population 1. :mad:
Needed to set aside 10:gold:!

Not sure why my reindeer had -20% vs. animal barbs, but they died to wolves and a galley got my workboat, so still no circumavigation yet. Will keep trying.

Hatty Oracled Fuedalism.
I am whipping Workers and Settlers for max overflow in a lot of cities to get more workboats and progress towards Great Lighthouse which I probably won't get.
Joao has 20:hammers: per turn in capital or more.
Colossus looks promising.
Barb city to the north is blocking trade routes. Will try to kill soon.

8 cities, doing ok at 1AD.

Top Bottom