BOTM 30 First spoiler - 1 AD

Niklas

Fully Functional
GOTM Staff

BOTM 30 First Spoiler

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 30, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

Note the early cutoff - 1 AD, not 500 AD.

• Please do not discuss anything that happened after 1 AD,
  • Please do not divulge your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is alright to discuss).

Where did you settle and why?
Did you get any use for your UU and/or UB?
How did you get along with your neighbors?
Are you still alive...? :mischief:

I went NE with the settler on the first turn, planning to settle on the banana if I didn't see anything, but having moved NE, I noticed the plains forest and settled on the PH.

No use for the UU, discovered hunting very late, after Monarchy and Alpha. UB is decent, but I had plenty :) with Monarchy and all the luxuries. I also discovered Construction late...

I got along with them pretty ok, until the cutoff :p Monty and Huayna shared two wars in this period, with one declaration each. Our continent is Hindu with also Confu and Tao being founded on our continent.

Oh, yeah, still alive. But not kicking... :p

I had 6 or 7 cities in 1 AD, planning on 9 or 10 total.

Now, this is a fun game! :)

7 cities, building up for a war at 1 AD against Monty with Phants and Cats, hopefully before he reaches Engineering...>.>

Lucky so far with diplo, Capac (or what's his name) declared on Monty early on, everybody Pleased with me with Hindu religion.

Was something wrong with barb techs btw? I noticed two cities defended only with warriors quite late and took one with a holkan and an archer before SB's dog soldier did it.

Was something wrong with barb techs btw? I noticed two cities defended only with warriors quite late and took one with a holkan and an archer before SB's dog soldier did it.

The mapmaker either intentionally or accidentally forgot to add Archery back to Barbs. :)

Tough game so far. Didn't play particularly well. I really, really struggle at standard deity. I know where my mistakes are with hindsight - on Immortal I can most often get away with the occasional sloppy play, but here it tends to snowball.

Settled 2N on PH. Then N for gold, rice and corn. Then E for stone and further north for marble/copper. After this, I ran into trouble, misjudging my expansion / tech rate kinda badly. Ended up crashing without Writing and Pottery, partly because it seemed like Monte would DOW me circa 1800 BC and I had to spend my last cash on a panic switch to Archery. He ended up attacking SB, after walking his stack right up to my border first. After the crash, my workers literally had nothing do, and cities nothing to build. Also, managed to lose a city to a barb warrior :)mischief:), in a botched attempt to block HC later on. Resettled that one, but HC did sneak in some crap cities into my territory. I previously had two settlers waiting for 20+ turns to complete the land-block, but had to make sure I finished Writing first.

Plus side: Monte and SB are beating each other up pretty good. I have 9 cities and most likely 2-3 more. I'm kinda sorta close to digging myself out of the financial hole.

Minus side: HC is a bit of a monster, though I should be easily able to get him to friendly (bit behind on that). I'm really, really behind in tech. This could be ok, but hard to say at this point - should be clearer in another 20-25t or so.

I was planning on elepulting Monte from early on, like Yamps, but had to more or less give up on the idea due to the miserable tech pace. Really unfortunate, as he's looking totally weak.

Settled PH, used holkans to stem barb tide, although it was only semi successful since I lost some 4 warriors. Built the next two cities at the two gold locations and narrowly beat Monty to the western fish site.

9 cities, and no more land to settle. I lost a juicy barb city to the north to HC since I didn't expect it to be defended by warriors :sad: His chariot got there one turn before my holkan. Monty DOW'ed HC since I gave into his demands of all my gold. He is getting kicked around though and will probably vassalize at some point. HC is running away with it here, but the other continent(or whatever it is) is getting most of the "firsts". Everyone is hindu, so I can at least get HC+SB friendly enough to avoid getting killed.
I am contemplating dogpiling on Monty and attacking a fringe city near SB. I have a dozen axes and he has two longbows behind walls..

All in all it is going really well... Unless you look at the techs. I just hope I can keep up a bit by researching something someone does not have and claw my way back in the tech race while hiding behind my powerful friends. No idea how to win this for now.

I settled and captured 11 cities by 750BC and that left me close to deficit at 0% slider, however the cash in my bank was almost enough for me to research Alpha->Currency and hence led the tech race all the game.

Settled on the PH, it just seemed obvious.
UU was great, UB not so much. HR solved all my happy issues.

Monty & SB demanded tribute, several times, and HC once. I gave in every time.

Settled 3 cities to the north of cap, to get the food, golds, marble & wine.
Next city was to get copper, then the wheat/cows, last city was river/lakes further north.

Iron wasn't in any BFC, which kind of sucked, but was in the empire eventually

Where did you settle and why? 2N, seemed to be the consensus. Built second city by the corn & rice 2E of gold.
Did you get any use for your UU and/or UB? well, a Holkan with Woody2 captured Jute. It had four warriors when founded, but two moved out and then another. So, ran thru the woods and took it.
How did you get along with your neighbors? Pretty well at first. Then Monte Declared
Are you still alive...? - I'm off to post in final spoiler now. :mischief:

babybluepants, Oh how I wish I had researched archery and built archers instead of holkans.

Settled on PH. Worker, Warrior, worker, warrior, Holkan, Settler, Holkans, Settler.

Settled North 1NW of other corn. Settled W. fish site. was about to take 2 barbs cities with my Holkans when Monty DOWed me in 1500BCish. I didn't last. Didn't even find iron. Was it there?

Where did you settle and why?
Did you get any use for your UU and/or UB?
How did you get along with your neighbors?
Are you still alive...? :mischief:

1. Everyone can make the right choice with no brainier.

2. Yes, UU are great city takers against barbarian warriors:rolleyes:, although this last city put my empire close to bankruptcy, I have enough cash to complete Alpha and then Currency with a little help from building research. Currency is the critical economical tech to recover. This amount of decent cities enable me to lead the tech all through the game. UBs also have good usage after Sushi founded.

Spoiler :

3. Monty had been fighting with HC for thousands of years and has been disabled after losing 1 city. However HC became a problem after his success and he came for the rich and powerful Maya empire. His SOD of main mount units stood no chance against WEs and LBs in a hill city. The only bad thing of this war is that it took some time to bring him back to friendly.

4. Yes, Monty became my 1st and only volunteered vassal and others were conquered or completely wiped out - feeling a little challenge to pursue conquest victory for a deity game because I had to avoid domination victory.

Duckweed, you had an amazaing game and are an amazing player. It's nice to know you still make mistakes.
Spoiler :
Like the one in your final spoiler and missing the 1 AD cutoff for this first spoiler.
Spoiler :
I don't think it matters now.

Were you just lucky that Monte and HC went at each other instead of you?
How did you manage that? What could the rest of us have done?
Spoiler :
Settle on coast or build roads to help religion spread?

@Deckhand

Thanks for remind, I hope there's no extra info that should be in final spoiler revealed. I can certainly delete the 300AD screen shot if required.

In this game, if Monty choose you as the the 1st war target instead of HC, imo you are pretty unlucky. This happens only if Monty can be pleased at HC very early and that's not easy due to the close border tension. HC is Monty's land target and Pacal is not in the early stage. The only dangerous DOW is during their peace treaty time, if you can not make Monty to be pleased to you at that time, you must research archery right away and produce some archers for defense. I see no reason we can't defend against Monty, he is quite small and our capital is on hill.

Yes, I researched Writing followed by Sailing to get the trade routes from AIs as soon as possible and allow for religion spreading.

Thanks for remind, I hope there's no extra info that should be in final spoiler revealed. I can certainly delete the 300AD screen shot if required.
Yes, please move everything pertaining to post-1AD events to the final spoiler thread.

Great game so far. :)

In this game, if Monty choose you as the the 1st war target instead of HC, imo you are pretty unlucky.
Well, Sitting Bull was his worst enemy, but that didn't keep him from attacking me (and others).

Settled on the hill like many others. Played peacefully so far as I'm too much of a coward to try elephants on deity :blush: However got the GL and the artist from music, and am wonder whoring a bit while I continue up the tech tree. NE is built and HE will be built once my production city finishes its current stretch of wonders. I'm thinking of taking Monty as a peace vassal and killing SB. At that point, I'll have to figure out whether I'm going to go kill HC or just play peacefully. Or who knows, maybe I'll just go culture or something since I'm getting a good number of wonders built in two cities already :lol:

HC declared on Monty in my game pretty early by dagger (one turn of red fist). He managed to take a city and they eventually took peace. I'm friendly with Monty now so I'm pretty free to tech peacefully. My early expansion was not timed very well though, so I'm a bit further behind than I would have liked (CS currently scheduled to come a few turns after 1 AD).

@Duckweed - I'm envious of that Mayapan spot. I wanted it but the barbs spawned there and then SB conquered it before I realized barb cities were defended by warriors.

@Deckhand

Worst enemy does not affect the DOW decision. Only the altitude counts. The altitude difference between SB and you is annoyed and cautious assume that Monty has the peace treaty with HC. So only if the NoWarRoll is 0~20, Monty will choose SB as his war target, otherwise you will be since you are closer. In deity game, an aggressive leader will choose his 1st war target quite early (dependent on how much space available for expanding and strategic resources available), so it's very possible in this game that Monty will enter WHEOOHRN ~2000BC and at that time only HC may share >7 tiles with him and become his land target and you won't. If Monty is still cautious to HC (very high chance this is the case due to border tension and not enough time for sharing religion bonus), HC is definitely his target. Of course if Monty is pleased with HC and cautious to you when he makes the war decision, you have the higher chance to be his target, since you will be his target when the NoWarRoll is 21-80.

@shyuhe

If you pay attention, you will easily find that no barbarian archer appears in the 1st 2000 years. Mayapan is a great site (I put IW there), but it takes long time to setup. I'm sure SB will make it a great city and hand to you.

I made several mistakes in this game, but I survive for now. My major mistake is that i dont have enough units in the beginning of the game. Barbarians manage to spawn 3 cities around my empire, all of which get conquered by the 3 different ai :cry:. So currently I have 5 cities, perhaps build 1 on the northwest region or in the middle of my empire.

I got lucky (or unlucky?) in this game, because no war has been declared yet. Every1 is goody goody toward each other because of shared religion. I think Monty has entered the missionary mode and he keeps spamming missionaries across the continent.

The map creators are very generous in this map. 2 gold sources and a penisula to the northwest. Anyone more skillful than me can easily block large chunk of area from ai. Later, cannon and rifle should be able to conquer the continent.

Ah, no final spoiler out yet - this was one of the closest/most intense civ games I've ever played.

But for the early years - pretty simple from what I recall, yes I did survive. I was waiting and pleading to get a religion to spread to me so Monty/Huayna wouldn't DoW - finally got Hindu, which Monty founded (in his second city, right next to my capital...:hmm:) and SB had adopted as well. Huayna was Jewish and that was the beginning of a beautiful hateship.

I realized after exploring that we had some land, and nice land at that, to the north. I settled to cut Monty off, SB encroached fast through the jungle, but I got all around good sites. Started to work on wonders - unfortunately ended up losing the Swedagon to overseas/unknown civs (....). It wasn't in a core 3 city though, so gold there wasn't so bad. What was worse was losing the Statue of Zeus, when I had several forests prechopped - I was going to get the GL after and did in fact get to it but there could be a lot of regrets around not having that 20 culture, not to mention a bit more war deterrant.

The one thing I was beginning to pick up by 1 AD, via demographic screen/wonders/technology is that some overseas AI is monstrous...

Top Bottom