1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Bought a new computer I hope will be great for Gathering Storm

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

If you check your drive stats the writes are to your game directory (where your saves also are). The game files are read and forget.

ChocolateShake likes this.
  2. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

The sudden snow fall in the midwest has delayed my package so I don't have my new computer yet! Argh! Hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

3. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

I feel for you. I hate it when you expect a new toy and it doesn't come! At least Gathering Storm is not being released to today!

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Thanks. Yeah, at least I know I will have my computer before GS comes out. And I've already pre-ordered GS so I will be ready.

ChocolateShake and Ondolindë like this.
  5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Maybe that's how GS should handle traders that encounter a storm. I'm pretty sure they said that storms don't kill traders, but maybe they should have the route provide no (or reduced) yields for turns it's in a storm. That would be a good middle way between god-traders and random loss of the unit.

6. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ Chieftain

I just bought an upgrade to my pc aswell.(just ordered today so still waiting for it) i need it because late game on CIV 5 it uses 10 min on huge map. So my old pc has this spec :
    Processor: Intel Core i5 4670. 3.40GHz
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070
    Memory: 8GB RAM DDR3
    I got an SSD to of course. So i will ask here to instead of making another thread. This will be my new pc spec:

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700. 3.2/4.6 GHz 6-core
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070
    Memory: 16GB RAM DDR4
    And new motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming S-1151

You guys think this will be enough to run Civ 5 and 6 very smooth on late game on big maps like Giant Earth for example?

SupremacyKing2 likes this.
  7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

The new specs certainly look great! Congrats!

8. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Got my new computer and reinstalled civ6. It definitely plays better as expected. Loads faster. Higher screen resolution and I get the diplo animations again! civ6 actually is a very pretty game.

sonicmyst and WillowBrook like this.
  9. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Watching the diplomatic animations last night in the game, it occurred to me that I don't think I ever really saw them since I bought the game. When I purchased civ6 vanilla, I was on my old computer that could not really handle them well. So I turned them off almost immediately. I am finally getting to see the in-game animations for the first time. The art team really did do a great job with the civ leaders.

10. lordhaw

lordhaw Chieftain

I have pretty much that rig, with the difference being the video card (GeForce GTX 1060 6GB) and it runs great. Big maps work pretty well, though it did start to bog a bit in late game on the really big maps until I dropped from Ultra to High. Then it worked fine., at least for me

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Me too, I really second guessed myself getting the 4790k over the cheaper-but-still-good i5 but am happy I did now. I need to upgrade my SSD and have already put in a "new" video card but the "bones" have stayed good.

Too bad it's hard to get DDR3 RAM any more.

And congrats SupremacyKing. You didn't mention it, but if down the road you ever have the option of making a single upgrade I'd look at picking up an SSD. They're getting really really cheap lately (finally!) and they're by far the best upgrade you can do IMO (though I don't really do a lot of heavy gaming).

12. rastak

rastak Chieftain

I agree an SSD drive is a huge upgrade. Hope you are enjoying the new computer Supremecy. It's always fun to fire up old games with a new faster rig.

I'm running an i7-7700, 16GB RAM and a GeForce GTX 1080 TI and it runs quite well.

13. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter Chieftain

Per the advice on this thread I just bought a Samsung 970 EVO M2 SSD 500GB in anticipation of GS. Hoping it helps with larger map sizes.

14. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

Surprised about my results.

Laptop #1 (2 years old) MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro
    • i7-6700HQ @ 2.6 GHz
    • 16 GB
    • GTX 970M
    • 1TB std drive @ 7200 rpm
    Graphics = 21.059ms (47 FPS)
    AI = Avg Turn 17.51 secs

Laptop #2 (brand new for work) Microsoft Surface Book 2
    • i7-8650U @ 1.9 GHz
    • 16 GB
    • GTX 1060
    • 1TB SSD
    Graphics = 28.2ms (35 FPS)
    AI = Avg Turn 35.56 secs

Both are playable for sure. I thought the newer SB2 would have scored better.

(Edit) MSI runs at 1920x1080. SB2 runs at 3240x2160

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  15. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Thanks. Yes, I am enjoying my new computer a lot. Often the performance is so much better that it feels like I am playing a new game entirely. That is how civ6 feels for me now.

SammyKhalifa and Wizard-Bob like this.
  16. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ Chieftain

Okey sounds good. how big was the maps that was bog a litle? i like playing the late game in Civ 5 so. I think Civ 6 is a bit faster than 5 to right? Lets se after GS i out maybee :p

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Do you really think they'll be a performance difference because of an expansion? I'd assume that it's the same engine so it'll basically run the same, aside from some "fixes" they might make.

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Probably because they did not render animations out of screen this time... :crazyeye:

Civ 6 runs fast, as long as there are no air forces in action... I guess the AI is so smart that it does not want to get bored to death while waiting for its own bomber runs animations to finish, so it just does not build them nor use them... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Reckoner likes this.
  19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

My machine is over 5 years old now so I'm also going to be getting one soon. AMD is a nice price point, but intel has the speed.

I'll see what the prices are for what I am looking to build. No more medium size towers for me though, large all the way. Fitting stuff in a medium is very annoying.

comatosedragon likes this.
  20. rastak

rastak Chieftain

Extremely, and video cards aren't getting smaller.